What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavita 1700e users??

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Gavita 1700e’s and the brightness of the lights. Someone told me the best way is to start at 50% obviously and then wait until bloom to start increasing 5% weekly. And that I don’t want to hit 70% until week 3 at least. Also I heard these LEDs make the plants eat more nitrogen so Nitrogen Boost is recommended. Any thoughts? Tap in.

Ah I see. During the early veg stages that should explain the stems turning purple during the early veg stages. I was waiting on my EL1 controller and had these 2-3 week old veg under the lights at 100%. I had to put sheer curtains under the lights until the controller had arrived.

But do I really have the increase only 5% a week? I’m tempted to just bump it straight up to 100% right away but scared to stress them out AGAIN

Ah I’m on week 3 of bloom and am noticing my zookies stems starting to turn purple as I turned the lights to 70%. I upped the nitrogen and cal mag hoping it helps. Anyone else have any pointers or thoughts?

I have 2 of the 1700e's...........I run them full strength at all times. I keep my LED's at 36 inches thru veg, then lower them to 18 inches in flowering.

search out sshz and gavita on google.

Super helpful man. Thank you btw how was your yield in comparison to 1000hps

sshz

Under two 1000 watt HPS's, I'd average about 2 lbs. per light. If you read the thread, you'd know I'm two weeks away from 1st harvest with the gavita's. But experienced LED growers feel I'm going to blow those numbers out of the water. Here's one side of the room, the other side looks exactly the same.

Under two 1000 watt HPS's, I'd average about 2 lbs. per light. If you read the thread, you'd know I'm two weeks away from 1st harvest with the gavita's. But experienced LED growers feel I'm going to blow those numbers out of the water. Here's one side of the room, the other side looks exactly the same.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84028&pictureid=2069152&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Sorry I had trouble navigating that site. But yeah lookin good man. How long you veg for?

DunHav`nFun

SSHZ......Killer job on that side of the grow area......You say the other side looks identical , so I`m wondering exactly what size the grow area is......How many plants under each light , and lastly , what size containers are those......ok....what medium as well.....also.....what`re the dimensions on those lights , and at 18" above canopy how does the light cover all those plants everywhere outside the main footprint of the lights actual length by width ?.....and then.....

Those plants look healthy but short Bro.....Do the LED`s prevent rather retard stretch ?.....regardless.....Awesome job again and thanks for your time......

Peace.....DHF......:ying: .....

sshz

Wow, so many questions.......I'll answer them, but i recommend you read the whole thread over at T H C Farmer or do a google search with "SSHZ and Gavita" and it should show up at the top of the page. The thread now has well over 9000 hits.......

2 lights, each in their own 4 ft x 4 ft area. The lights are 43 inches X 44 inches so there's a few extra inches on each side. 12 plants under each light. 5 gallon pots, with Pro-mix, lime and perlite. The lights were set at 36 inches above the canopy in veg and 15-18 inches above the canopy in flowering.

And yes, if you keep the lights close enough, it does retard the stretch. These were topped and defoliated many times with the goal of keeping them short (it's a tall sativa).

There's soooooo much more, if you really want to learn about LED's and my style of growing, check the thread. I have 35 years of growing under HPS, this was my first crop under LED's. There's also a contest going on- guess the yield of the room and be closest and win 2 packs of GreenPoint Seeds.

Wow, so many questions.......I'll answer them, but i recommend you read the whole thread over at T H C Farmer or do a google search with "SSHZ and Gavita" and it should show up at the top of the page. The thread now has well over 9000 hits.......

2 lights, each in their own 4 ft x 4 ft area. The lights are 43 inches X 44 inches so there's a few extra inches on each side. 12 plants under each light. 5 gallon pots, with Pro-mix, lime and perlite. The lights were set at 36 inches above the canopy in veg and 15-18 inches above the canopy in flowering.

And yes, if you keep the lights close enough, it does retard the stretch. These were topped and defoliated many times with the goal of keeping them short (it's a tall sativa).

There's soooooo much more, if you really want to learn about LED's and my style of growing, check the thread. I have 35 years of growing under HPS, this was my first crop under LED's. There's also a contest going on- guess the yield of the room and be closest and win 2 packs of GreenPoint Seeds.

May seem like a dumb question but does it matter which way you hang these lights? I only ask bc I’ve seen multiple Gavita advertisements and they hang them side by side. Does it really make a difference. Here are the ads shown below. I hang them the other way which seems to make sense..

Attachments

• F859BC0C-E1C8-4DC3-BF6B-BF01D2F35123.jpg
    F859BC0C-E1C8-4DC3-BF6B-BF01D2F35123.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 32E21BC8-E43F-4AF7-A8F9-2719171CBF6A.jpg
    32E21BC8-E43F-4AF7-A8F9-2719171CBF6A.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 137

sshz

Actually it's a good question, I noticed that before too when I bought the lights. I hang mine close to the 4 corners, hooked going straight up to the ceiling. Personally, I think they show it that way to make the picture more appealing to the eye. It's all a marketing ploy.......

DunHav`nFun

Well damn Bro.....If my old ass had known you were over at the farm , I wouldn`t have bothered you , but thanks for your time regardless.....I`ve not been at the Farm for a hot minute , so again thanks for the info.....now.....

I thought those looked like Sat cola heads , but again being so short actually threw me off and had me scratchin my head about what kinda polyhybrid grew short fat Sat colas.....but I digress.....shoulda known with your Nick being "SSH Z".....lol.....and yeah.....I started inside back in the mid 80`s myself after a dozen or so yrs outside till the choppers started flying too regular.....

I`m retired now , but about to cross over from my old Horti-600`s and go to LED`s for my lil headies closet setup , so that`s where all the questions came from Bro.....thanks again , and keep up the good work.....I saw where this will be your first harvey with the Gavita`s so I`ll come visit the Farm for the final numbers.....

2 lbs per 1K is 1 thing , but 2 lbs per 645 actual watts under right at 40.31 watts per sq ft compared to 62.5 HPS without all the extra power draw AND heatgain is big.....anyways....Here`s hoping for a bumper crop above 2 per , so Good luck and.....

Peace.....DHF.....:ying: ......

sshz

Thanks Dun......yup, getting closer now- about 12 days to harvesting 90% of the room. A few of the Golden Goat leaners are behind and it will be another week after that for them to finish. Overall, I like the lights so far but final yield will determine how I proceed with my future crops.

DOTTOR

Thanks Dun......yup, getting closer now- about 12 days to harvesting 90% of the room. A few of the Golden Goat leaners are behind and it will be another week after that for them to finish. Overall, I like the lights so far but final yield will determine how I proceed with my future crops.

Can the LED bars of the 1700e gavita be removed?

sshz

I did want to come back and make mention I yielded 6 lbs and 5 oz off the grow........ a whopping 2.3 GPW. Probably my best grow ever. I got close to doubling my average yield under HPS in the same area.

No, the bars on the LED are permanent.

Getting near the end of my second grow with the lights now. I love them, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They easily paid for themselves in just the first grow.

DOTTOR

I did want to come back and make mention I yielded 6 lbs and 5 oz off the grow........ a whopping 2.3 GPW. Probably my best grow ever. I got close to doubling my average yield under HPS in the same area.

No, the bars on the LED are permanent.

Getting near the end of my second grow with the lights now. I love them, I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. They easily paid for themselves in just the first grow.

So it is not possible to remove the leds? Are there no screws? I cultivate in an under roof where the opening is narrow and would not fit! I would need to disassemble an LED bar and then reassemble if possible

DunHav`nFun

So it is not possible to remove the leds? Are there no screws? I cultivate in an under roof where the opening is narrow and would not fit! I would need to disassemble an LED bar and then reassemble if possible
There are many DIY kits available for you to put together whatever width and length of diodes /wattage you need for said area.....There`s a website for heatsinks alone by themselves.....Samsung 301 chips/diodes units are easy to assemble to heatsinks and secure to aluminum strut material for the fixture right for your area......drivers can be mounted remotely or on top of the heatsinks from what I see , so for the cash these Gavita`s cost you can configure and design 1 helluva fixture with a few connectors and the right equipment for far far less invested , but that`s just me....now......

SSHZ......Respect......That`s a haul even a mother can love.....lol......now.....The science of repeatability applies in that can each run yield the same numbers with the same strain done the same way in the same amount of time consistently run in and run out ?.....

As short as those plants were , I see only room for the numbers to go up in the future with other dialed strains , but I`ve not observed anyone pullin these numbers but you Bro , so you`re doin somethin right.....I do believe the way yours are built that covers all but the full footprint of the canopy is the way to go obviously per your returns , but my tight old ass has yet to bite the bullet and swap over from HPS till my bulbs are all gone from retirement due to only runnin a headies closet area........regardless.....

SSHZ .....You da man......

Peace.....DHF......:ying:......