What's new

How soon do I check them?

Klompen

Hi everyone. I got out my guerilla patches for this year and have somewhere between 45-55 plants on site as of the 8th and the 13th. They were vegged indoors for at least a couple weeks, but not long enough to determine gender. Its all bagseed out there at the moment and I am trying to do as hands-off as I can. The strain seems hardy(brickweed of some kind) and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. I have my indoor plants for my quality smoke either way..

Since I am trying to minimize trips to the site: How long do you think I should wait before going out to check gender? I would like to go when I can be sure they'll be showing, but not wait so long they'll be all seeded. What's a good window of time? Should I go out in 3 weeks? Less? More?

troutman

Seed Whore
Unless you know when they'll flower I would go once a week. Once males show sex
they can drop pollen in a week. If you wait too long you'll have lots of seeds.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depends where you are a bit and what month of the year it is, but in general I'd say troutman's advice is solid.
In central Europe we're still far away from equinox aka 12/12, but dependig on the strain they could be triggered to flower already.
Good luck!!!
CC

Klompen

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am 42 degrees North latitude, and in the central midwest USA.

I'm at 42N and most strains that aren't pure Sativa start flowering about August 1st. I'd check maybe the second week of August at the latest.

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am 42 degrees North latitude, and in the central midwest USA.

Yeah I guess that means putting them out now will give em a couple weeks of veg before flowering will be triggered.
AND: In the end some cultivars will flower well before 12/12, we need to remember that 12/12 in no way is very scientific assessment for exactly your plants, but it will make pretty much every plant I've ever seen flower, so it's sort of a default when growing cannabis indoors. Some strains however will flower way earlier than that! 15/9, 14/10... you name it, the sun doesn't have a switch and it's all nice and slow change to longer nights and shorter days...

I've seen some plants flower at 18/6 and no they were not autoflowers.

Best of luck anyways!!!
CC

Klompen

Its good that they'll get a little veg time. I want them to stay modest in size, so getting them out so late isn't a problem. That's why there's around 50 of them lol. I have noticed in the past that brick weed seeds can vary immensely in terms of what they turn into. Some are quite good, and some are real crap. They also tend to get really really tall. I've seen a few get to be 16 feet or more. Hard to say with this stuff. It was semi-bricked, but the seeds were in excellent shape. There were two seed types: Little and big. The little seeds made little tiny seedlings with dense growth and the big seeds seem to make bigger stretchier plants.

This is a shot of what they looked like not long before going out.

Klompen

I know it strain dependent, but is anyone here harvesting already? I'm at 42N and in the MidWest. I'm wondering what the odds are that they'll be done....??

Klompen

Thanks. I will try to get out on Monday. The site is very isolated, but the route to it is not always clear. I removed males around late July and one of the males was clearly flowering already by then. I wish I knew more about this strain. All I know is the seeds are hardy as hell. The bud it came from was this semi-bricked stuff of unknown origin.

DunHav`nFun

What....No updates Klomp ?.....No pics ?.....At least let us know if your brickweed plants are still alive and movin forward.....Most every Mexican bagseed I ever saw grown outside hermied , so get ready for some beans for next year while also waiting only God knows how long before they`re done in midwest-ville with late plantings and no clue as to genetics other than mexican brickweed.....

I`m in the south and when I first started outside in the 70`s , all we had was Brickweed we planted every 2 weeks from last week in march till July 4th to hedge our bets against critters and thieves , but our late plantings into July ALWAYS finished late , and I mean the latest I ever waited on was late Dec. , but we don`t have much frost and snow down here , so hopefully your mexican brickweed will finish before the elements kill it and turn it to mulch....

Good luck....DHF.....:ying: .......

Klompen

I should hopefully know by tonight. Unfortunately its early frost this year so the farmers are all out in places nobody is at normally.

Klompen

I went out to see if they were still there after the harvesting was done around them and sure enough they still are. In fact, I thought I had 18 plants and it turns out one survived that I thought got eaten early on; so 19 it is now.

They're still looking a little green, but with the fields down I really felt like I best cut my losses somewhat just in case and give at least a fair portion of stuff a chop. Honestly though now that I see more of them in the light, I am starting to realize they are further along than my samples a week ago would have ever suggested.

Here is the sampling I took from 12 out of 18 plants. Its about 1.25lbs wet.

Latest posts

Latest posts