What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Potatoes From Seeds

SamsonsRiddle

I noticed my potatoes produced some type of "berry". turns out these "berries" which look like very small green tomatoes actually look like tomatoes on the inside with seeds and all. somehow, i happen to be the only one who has ever seen this locally (my first time growing potatoes). i got interested and have been researching "true potato seeds or TPS".

i guess the main point of this post is to see if anyone on here has ever worked with these and has done any breeding of their own....?

UFOpilot

I had some TPS in my garden this year.
But as expected,the potatos that grew out of them were very little.
If you use this little ones for the next grow,then you get the normal size.
So it takes a lot of time before you get any good results.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I noticed my potatoes produced some type of "berry". turns out these "berries" which look like very small green tomatoes actually look like tomatoes on the inside with seeds and all. somehow, i happen to be the only one who has ever seen this locally (my first time growing potatoes). i got interested and have been researching "true potato seeds or TPS".

i guess the main point of this post is to see if anyone on here has ever worked with these and has done any breeding of their own....?
I think it's less about breeding than it is discovering new cultivars, as it doesn't breed true.
Potato is a genetically diverse crop and the seedlings do not grow true. That means that every seedling grown from TPS is genetically unique and will produce tubers with different characteristics than the parent. Every potato plant grown from seed is a new variety.
https://www.cultivariable.com/instructions/potatoes/how-to-grow-true-potato-seeds-tps/
I think apples grow the same way which is why they use cuttings.

zif

Veteran
It’s rare, but watch out for toxic wildtype throwbacks.

Any hint of 24-hour flu or food poisoning like symptoms from taste testing strongly argues for ditching the (possibly/likely solanum producing) line. The professionals now lab test as a matter of course.

Otherwise hunting TPS is great!

Latest posts

Latest posts