What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Allergy but only during harvest?

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well, I would like to start out by stating, that I have no issues being around live plants, during growth or flower, nor do I have any issues smelling dried and cured cannabis of any quality and of any origin, or have any issues when smoking said cannabis.

However, ever since I started growing back in 2006, I noticed that when it comes time to trim, (I usually do a wet trim, but will do a dry trim on my two remaining plants this run), I have a pretty annoying allergic reaction. I sneeze constantly, and since I don't wear gloves while trimming, anything I touch on my body afterwards, an itchy rash developes. It is gone in a day, and the sneezing goes away too, but not entirely.

Until the buds have at least a week cure, I will still sneeze.

I don't really mind this, as it's not that severe, and doesn't last long, but with the coronavirus going around all over the world, I realized that me sneezing probably doesn't give people a good impression. And by this I mean, that even after I've trimmed, washed my hands, etc... the symptoms will last for hours, so when I'm out in public I will have sneezing fits.

I'm wondering if anyone else had an experience like this during trimming/harvest time, and I'm also wondering, regardless whether you've experienced this yourself, if anyone here knows the scientific explanation for this?

Can one be allergic to terpenes, and that's why this happens?

Peace & Love,
Tetra
:rasta:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
A terpene issue is definitely plausible, though other things could be triggering it.

Have you tried nitrile gloves and a painter's mask while trimming?

tetragrammaton

Veteran
A terpene issue is definitely plausible, though other things could be triggering it.

Have you tried nitrile gloves and a painter's mask while trimming?

No, but that's a good idea, and I will try it in a week or two when I harvest two more plants, although since i'll also be dry trimming them, I'm not sure if that will factor in to making a difference. I think I need to try it without the mask to see if dry trimming solves the problem.

Also, as mentioned, luckily this doesn't really bother me, and the symptoms are gone within a few hours usually, and I had terrible allergies as a kid, and was highly allergic to mold, mildew, trees, and animals, but grew out of those allergies, except for spring, when the trees start producing pollen.

I'm more looking for an explanation as to why this happens, rather than a solution to fix it, because it's something I can deal with, and in the grand scheme of things is a very minor issue. Luckily I can still enjoy cannabis once it's dried and cured, and even while it's growing. It's only when I trim when this issue arises.

Peace & Love,
Tetra
:rasta:

Zomboy

Veteran
Same thing happens to me. I always trim with nitrile gloves and a mask. Helps a lot but still get minor irritation

Nexus7

Same. I get a little bit rashy/hives on my hands when handling the freshly harvested flowers only. Not so much the sneezing though. I do have very minor allergies in general.

N7

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
:biggrin: when i get some of the resin of living plants on my arms and get the iches i know they are comming closer to harvest, mostly in the last 10-14 days.

U

useless.gardens

take a benadryl before putting on glovez
its what i do... im highly allergic to the resin glands in the air.

if i reach into a resinous canopy -for example- its kinda like the red marks you get when a pine needle pricks your skin.

i take allegra.
works perfect.

if i touch my eyes when trimming or something, im talking about rivers of snot.

Zomboy

Veteran
its what i do... im highly allergic to the resin glands in the air.

if i reach into a resinous canopy -for example- its kinda like the red marks you get when a pine needle pricks your skin.

i take allegra.
works perfect.

if i touch my eyes when trimming or something, im talking about rivers of snot.

I basically get the same symptoms. If i break up weed and then touch my eyes, bad news..

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I basically get the same symptoms. If i break up weed and then touch my eyes, bad news..

Yikes, yes, use your PPE (personal protective equipment)!! Gloves, maybe even goggles. So easy to rub eyes. Frequent breaks to allow body to maintain homeostasis.... relatively stable equilibrium between interdependent elements.

hayday

Veteran
The guy I got my Sour Strawberry Kush seeds from used a Benadryl lotion. I have not used it or seen it but SSK makes me itch, sneeze and gives me a runny nose.
Sour Bubble does it too but neither is a major inconvinence. I just carve it up and move on.

weedof

Any weed gives makes me itch, sneeze and gives me a runny nose I even get rash when trimming. It seems like the allergy developed as I never had these issues few years back.

tetragrammaton

Veteran
Well I guess I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, but it's not something to be "glad" about, as it's still a mild inconvenience for us.

The idea proposed by Douglas, regarding using a mask and nitrile gloves, as well as the advise of taking a benadryl or perhaps another antihystamine seems like it would solve the problem, or at least lessen it. As hayday said, it's not a major inconvenience but still.

I guess now the question is what is causing this? What is the science behind this? Is it indeed the terpenes in the air? The live resin? Both? Now that I think about it, I don't think my idea of doing a dry trim will help either, because in the past when I've received untrimmed bud and had to trim it myself, I'd also get sneezy and itchy, but luckily it wasn't as intense as when wet trimming, when the whole vicinity smells incredibly loud.

Zomboy

Veteran
Well I guess I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, but it's not something to be "glad" about, as it's still a mild inconvenience for us.

The idea proposed by Douglas, regarding using a mask and nitrile gloves, as well as the advise of taking a benadryl or perhaps another antihystamine seems like it would solve the problem, or at least lessen it. As hayday said, it's not a major inconvenience but still.

I guess now the question is what is causing this? What is the science behind this? Is it indeed the terpenes in the air? The live resin? Both? Now that I think about it, I don't think my idea of doing a dry trim will help either, because in the past when I've received untrimmed bud and had to trim it myself, I'd also get sneezy and itchy, but luckily it wasn't as intense as when wet trimming, when the whole vicinity smells incredibly loud.

Its actually the main reason i still wet trim. If i dry trim its that much worse it seems

TheDarkStorm

You guys that seem to being affected by this...are you getting the same effects with trimming outdoors grown weed.....definitely a interesting subject.

CrushnYuba

My buddy has a similar thing. He is ok while it's growing. As soon as it starts drying he gets sick. He dry trims though. If he walks in the room that weed is being dry trimmed, he freaks out.

Latest posts

Latest posts