What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

R.I.P. Boy Scouts

vta

Veteran
picture.php

Boy Scouts Get A New 'Inclusive' Name.

After recently opening the door to girl members — of which they've already gotten some 3,000 — the Boy Scouts have now officially re-branded themselves as a fully "inclusive" organization ready to welcome in the new generation with a brand new, gender nonspecific name: "Scouts BSA."

"We wanted to land on something that evokes the past but also conveys the inclusive nature of the program going forward," said Chief Scout Executive Mike Surbaugh. "We're trying to find the right way to say we’re here for both young men and young women."

Not willing to fully bury the 108-year name, the parent organization will retain the name Boy Scouts of America, which the "BSA" in the new name acknowledges. Meanwhile, Surbaugh predicts that members will simply refer to themselves as the genderless "scouts."

Unsurprisingly, one group that's not particularly thrilled about the development is the Girl Scouts, which has already seen a decline in numbers since their formerly male counterparts got all inclusive.

What a fucking joke....

Gry

I would have dearly loved to have had co-ed scouting as a kid. Can't imagine kids being that much different now.

vta

Veteran
Boys need to be boys. There is something to be said about male bonding. Not everything needs to be 'inclusive'.

I would have dearly loved to have had co-ed scouting as a kid.

That's because you are a perv. JK..lol

G

ganjygav

So are there gonna be boy guides selling cookies at the other end? Lol
Nah as said above I bet it will be good for kids to learn this stuff together no matter the sex... Or gender whatever I get confused nowadays.

vta

Veteran
Well you know, PC culture dictates that boy's can't have anything to themselves because that would be "sexist". So yeah.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
every time we keep the sexes separate, they don't know how to act when they mix again. "boys being boys" has been the go-to excuse for inappropriate behavior for way too long now. just like the segregation of races. i went to grade school with kids of all colors. those that went to an all-white school here had trouble getting along with others in high school. me? nada...:ying:

Gry

When I was a kid, I got to experience British and American Scouting.
My British scout master was a large WWII vet complete with a swagger stick.
Swimming badge was intense. They had the kids wear short pants, all time, no matter the temp. Except to earn the swimming badge.
For that one time, one got to wear long pants.
They would load the lads up on a navy vessel and head out to where there was a bit of chop to the water.
They (we) got pitched over the side. The idea was to take the pants off, and tie knots in the legs. If done right, one could flip the pants over your head to trap air in the pants. They could then be used as a flotation device.
Using the flotation device, you were to swim 2 miles.
About a third qualified the first time.
That was back in the early sixties. Never experienced anything like with the American scouts. I attributed it to a long rich tradition of the British ruling the waves.

G

ganjygav

Times are changing. I'm not sure if I agree with it fully. Sometimes I can see the good side but when I see little boys wearing dresses and playing with dolly's on the Internet it does cause me confliction.

I do believe fully that as generations come they're being turned into softies who are being offended by everything and believe they're being oppressed in some way by society.

I think this will ultimately end bad for future generations if we carry on with this path that is currently being followed were everybody is a victim.

I do strongly believe in the benefits of the young learning together in mixed gender groups. We all need to learn how to work together but I don't think it's right that now children are being told its normal to feel like a boy one day and a girl the next or the reverse and everything in between.
I believe that's going to cause a generation of confused individuals and will only get worse as its passed down in the future.

Gry

I may be mistaken, but I suspect a good bit of the 'gender confusion' is simply the media making hay.

-BRR-

I was a cub scout and scout. What good did it do me other than turn me into the crafty tent aboding feral pot grower that i have become.... Truth be told cannabis and a fucked up adolecence takes most of the credit there.

My Scout experience though What can I say..... wicked days big challenges, lots gained man fuking loved it..

To the topic?... we had some girls come into the group 25 odd years ago and can’t say I ever had an issue. I’m sure they benefitted from our what was tbh a pretty hardcore group compared to neighbouring institutions at the time. I was a “patrol leader” as they call it and these 3 girls were in my pac? i forget the term... But I feel privelidged to this day participating in missions and major excursions with them. Credit does goes to our leader for challenging us to the max while at the same time giving us tons of free reign. Skip your a fucking legend full stop and doubt I can ever be as worthy.

I’m unfased initially apong seeing this though happy to side either way though given a strong enough argument but it’s it just a name or what...? Also looks to me the name could have been allot worse.

Anyway what a great institution. Long live the Scouts

Gry

Can recall feeling like presidents which were former Eagle scouts was almost a standard when I was a kid.
Carter was a former Eagle scout, and think I recall reading that Ford was as well. Anyone know about others presidents and scouting ?

Easy7

Veteran
Boy scouts was never very inclusive. The boys with dads that participated got all the badges and goodies. I'm still grateful that I got to go camping and had some gear.

They are going to need mom's there now. Kinda suspect there will be worse scandals.

Green Squall

So are they combining Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts and Cub Scouts/Brownies? I could care less either way, but DAMN people are sensitive nowadays!!

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm guessing it's because some group didn't want to be identified as a boy or girl and cried about it.

Hort1

My only lasting memory of being a scout is the day we watched the Flash Gordan movie with an old reel to reel projector in the scout hall .Good times .

shithawk420

Veteran
I don't necessarily agree with it but I'd rather have a girl fondling me thenough a creepy middle age man doing what they do.I wanted to be a boyscout but they wouldn't let me cause my dad was a weed dealer.fuck them

W

Water-

Scouting is about or was about actual scouting skills in nature.
A female can do that as well as a male.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts