What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana Regulators Target Home Cultivation

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
If these bureaucrats were dogs, they would be the kind of dog that always has its nose stuck up another dog's ass.

igrowone

Veteran
I think that the average voter has to be forward thinking enough to vote in laws that preserve their rights opposed to ones that extend right to select demographics

and I don't have a problem with bueracracy, government or regulations as long as they are being used to serve the people and not a select few people and their pockets

democracy works best when it is treated as one

i can agree with this as a 'big picture' kind of outlook
the other side is the insistence of idealized laws which have no chance in the gritty world we live in
don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tynehead Tom

there is a big difference between plugging in a ul listed lamp into a socket installed to code and running your own breaker box to run an 8 k grow

there are fire concerns as well

are they valid enough to require licensing?

is it an apartment in a 100 unit building in the city that can take out 100's of lives with a mistake or a house in the boonies an hour from the neighbors?

If people's lives are compromised because someone else wants to grow that seems unreasonable as well

just a lil devils advocate

well, lets take it to another level here
I own a 3 phase lathe, full size knee mill , also 3 phase. I have 3 220v welders, mig , tig and stick requiring from 30 amps to 60 amps. I also have a power pipe threader, drill presses and on and on. The ceiling is wired for 6 x 400 watt metal halides....
All I required to hook up and operate these items was to call the electrician in to upgrade the amps and make sure all the wiring to receptacles and switches and the box itself is to code. I paid the necessary fees to the power company and local building permits.

I bought and installed (plugged in via welding plug) single to 3 phase inverter module and bob's yer uncle.

now i can guarantee, when my shop is running full tits, I'm sucking way more juice than a 8K grow op and no "extra" permits were required. What I'm plugging in doesn't matter and if things go south, well that's between me and my insurance company, as it should be.
I could have wired it all my self but "building code" and the need to get approved for the amperage upgrade plus permits are regulation enough.

there are building codes and cetifications in place in our various regions, districts, municipalities, states and provinces that dictate how one must build certain aspects of a home to take into account for appliances.
Such as , heat shielding/fire proofing around furnaces, fireplaces ect.
requirements for specific types of outlets for external use, bathrooms, kitchens ect ect.
Any and all facets of building and operating a grow room inside a building already exist in current building codes, electrical codes, plumbing codes ect ect.
So if one wants to build a hydroponic room inside a home, there already exists a method of construction which would satisfy building codes, electrical codes and on and on.
The onus is on the grower to assume the responsibility to construct his/her room to code and observe best practices.
Adding further regulation outside existing codes is pointless.

what is needed is an overhaul at the insurance companies so that legal growers are covered when everything is to code and an accident happens.
If the powers that be want to have something like mandatory insurance policy at an affordable to anyone rate as a percurser to a "free" growers license.... well, i could entertain that as a public safety measure. Any other regulation for growers to me is nothing but control and in support of Big Cannabis.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
except that there is no existing code that considers those scenarios

not that I disagree with your logic but when someone dies because of another person's grow who will be liable?

this is the kind of thing the authority crafting the law has to consider or they might have to pay out the award from the first lawsuit

one of those sticky wickets when it comes to legalization, and I argued that this was a very real consequences of legal growing, very thick bureaucracy.

For old school heads who hate people in their business it is a big bucket of suck

oldchuck

Veteran
well, lets take it to another level here
I own a 3 phase lathe, full size knee mill , also 3 phase. I have 3 220v welders, mig , tig and stick requiring from 30 amps to 60 amps. I also have a power pipe threader, drill presses and on and on. The ceiling is wired for 6 x 400 watt metal halides....
All I required to hook up and operate these items was to call the electrician in to upgrade the amps and make sure all the wiring to receptacles and switches and the box itself is to code. I paid the necessary fees to the power company and local building permits.

I suspect you don't use very many of those tools at once, probably only one at a time. If you had six guys working in your shop then your local codes ought to have required professional electrical work and inspection. A medium sized Cannabis indoor grow uses its power all at once for 18 hours a day. Big difference.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
picture.php

meizzwang

Imagine the last time you went the DMV....now, imagine organizing a similar team of professional paper pushers to go to your house to inspect your plants EVERY YEAR should you choose to grow, oh and by the way, you have to pay fees for them to come and tell you whether you're up to whatever code they created.

Winners of this proposal: government and commercial growers.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
The wires supplying our house caught fire, running 1800 watts, with whole house AC, dishwasher, refrigerator, clothes washer, TV's, and other stuff running. House was built in the 1950's. I have had cheap foreign analog timers that were rated for 1600 watts melt, running 2 X 600 watt halide ballasts.

St. Phatty

"unlicensed recreational and medical grows in private residences"

wierd.

that's how most of the people in the industry got started - and most importantly, it's how they Learned.

Are they going to take away our kids' soldering irons, chemistry sets, and Lego bricks too ?

Does Colorado have trouble admitting that unlicensed home grows are a form of home schooling which sometimes results in commerce ?

The US fed & state gov needs to be careful about how they treat growers. NASA will need our hydro skills to combat some problem they're having with their Space Veggies.

Growers will go on strike.

Astronauts will starve.

Perhaps this belongs in the stoned thinking section :woohoo:

redlaser

Veteran
The wires supplying our house caught fire, running 1800 watts, with whole house AC, dishwasher, refrigerator, clothes washer, TV's, and other stuff running. House was built in the 1950's. I have had cheap foreign analog timers that were rated for 1600 watts melt, running 2 X 600 watt halide ballasts.

I'm no electrician Loc, but the ones I've talked to say not to run more than 75-80% load on a circuit/ breaker. You don't want to have the breaker as your only safety net, they do fail.

That timer you mention may not actually be capable of 1600 watts. I've had a couple cheaper timers melt on less than 1,200 watts.

It sounds like you caught a couple breaks, at least you didn't get caught up in a house fire.

JimmyToucan

there is a big difference between plugging in a ul listed lamp into a socket installed to code and running your own breaker box to run an 8 k grow

there are fire concerns as well

are they valid enough to require licensing?

is it an apartment in a 100 unit building in the city that can take out 100's of lives with a mistake or a house in the boonies an hour from the neighbors?

If people's lives are compromised because someone else wants to grow that seems unreasonable as well

just a lil devils advocate

Bingo.

I can't speak for anyone else, but is someone wants to burn their house down, then fine, as long as no one else is in danger. I sure don't want to live steps away from some moron running thousands of watts in their spare bedroom thinking its fine and dandy because they tapped in to the baseboard heater for power, or blasting butane with no ventilation.

I'm for as little rules and regulations as possible but let's be fair...there's some really dumb people out there that I sure as shit don't want to trust my safety with.

JimmyToucan

i disagree.
I don't need to buy a permit to grow any other indoor plant or to set up a hydroponic vegetable garden in my house. Why should it be different just because it's weed?

Stupid is as stupid does so if people are stupid in how they set up thier grow.... well.... we know we can't fix stupid LOL
Why should legal weed be any different?

On the surface this might make sense, but how many people start house fires running thousands of watts and overloading their system growing vegetables? How many explosions have occurred processing them?

You can't fix stupid, but you can thank them for making the rest of us look like a bunch of dipshits and tying us down with regulations because they don't have a lick of common sense.

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I understand that without laws there is no civilization. If not, the strong will always take advantage of the weak, the smart of the stupid, the rich of the poor.

My objection to the subject of this thread is that they don't want to wait until I'm caught breaking the law to fuck with me.

Same reason I'm not into "stop and frisk".

Laws designed to protect me from myself are bullshit. They can only be enforced by stepping on my right to privacy.

I don't think them searching my house is about protecting anybody from fires. If grows are burning down houses like crazy then they need to increase the penalties to make it not worth growing with substandard electrical service. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's to easy to not burn your house down, and if they waited until your house burnt down they would never be able to catch you growing more than the allowed number of plants. They'll never catch me because the amount of plants will never affect anybody. Because growing more than 6(or any other arbitrary number) puts nobody in harms way!

It's about keeping the wheel greased!

There are already laws protecting homeowners from their neighbors. If my house catches fire because of my recklessness and burns my neighbors house down I will be prosecuted. What else do we need?

If the speed limit across America doesn't exceed 70-75 mph, why do they sell us cars that can go 160mph?

Why don't they want to protect us from ourselves in this instance?

Its so they'll always have grease to keep that machine humming right along.

shaggyballs

Veteran
I understand that without laws there is no civilization. If not, the strong will always take advantage of the weak, the smart of the stupid, the rich of the poor.

My objection to the subject of this thread is that they don't want to wait until I'm caught breaking the law to fuck with me.

Same reason I'm not into "stop and frisk".

Laws designed to protect me from myself are bullshit. They can only be enforced by stepping on my right to privacy.

I don't think them searching my house is about protecting anybody from fires. If grows are burning down houses like crazy then they need to increase the penalties to make it not worth growing with substandard electrical service. I think it has more to do with the fact that it's to easy to not burn your house down, and if they waited until your house burnt down they would never be able to catch you growing more than the allowed number of plants. They'll never catch me because the amount of plants will never affect anybody. Because growing more than 6(or any other arbitrary number) puts nobody in harms way!

It's about keeping the wheel greased!

There are already laws protecting homeowners from their neighbors. If my house catches fire because of my recklessness and burns my neighbors house down I will be prosecuted. What else do we need?

If the speed limit across America doesn't exceed 70-75 mph, why do they sell us cars that can go 160mph?

Why don't they want to protect us from ourselves in this instance?

Its so they'll always have grease to keep that machine humming right along.

This says it all!

stoned40yrs

Ripped since 1965
Veteran
Talk about worrying over nothing. No where in the USA can they enter your house without a search warrant. No county or state or whatever can pass laws to over ride this law. No way are pigs getting into your house without warrant unless you let them in.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Talk about worrying over nothing. No where in the USA can they enter your house without a search warrant. No county or state or whatever can pass laws to over ride this law. No way are pigs getting into your house without warrant unless you let them in.

Well you see, if you tell them they are not allowed to inspect you grow, you are non-compliant. Next they will then tell that to a judge who will then issue a search warrant do to the fact that a non-compliant grow is an illegal one.

Knock and talk link click here
What to do in the event of a police Knock and Talk at your home or grow facility.
Check out the video on the page it contains advice from a legal professional.

Mukind

Well you see, if you tell them they are not allowed to inspect you grow, you are non-compliant. Next they will then tell that to a judge who will then issue a search warrant do to the fact that a non-compliant grow is an illegal one.

Knock and talk link click here
What to do in the event of a police Knock and Talk at your home or grow facility.
Check out the video on the page it contains advice from a legal professional.

The obvious answer to this is don't answer the door

Don't engage, as soon as you see it's police walk away and put on some headphones.

Never talk to police if you can avoid it. Yea they may be coming in, but they'll need a warrant or you'll probably be walking.

And if it's a recreational state it must be hard to get probable cause for a warrant without seeing some very specific things. A lot of their options go out the window. Especially if smell isn't limited

Any debris with THC or a dog hit would be useless yea? So they've got to see you with plant counts over the limit to convince a judge doing his job...Again presumably

Here is a great talk that has probably been posted here and every other site related to controlled substances in the english speaking world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Now the nuances of having a medical grow may change things. But as a general principle just forcing them to get a warrant and saying nothing is almost always the most sound legal strategy

Last edited: