What's new

Feeling The Love In Florida

vta

Veteran
Wrongfully imprisoned for 27 years, denied $1.35 million compensation, because of teenage marijuana possession 30 years ago

By "Radical" Russ Belville on June 13, 2009

The next time someone dismisses the legalization question because nobody goes to prison for simple marijuana possession, remind them that prison is not the only detrimental effect of a marijuana possession charge. It can cost you a job, your children, your home, and in the case of one Florida man freed from prison by DNA evidence, it could cost you $1.35 million

(FloridaToday.com) William Dillon didn’t have “clean hands” before he was sent to jail for 27 years for murder, so he is barred from compensation under Florida’s new Wrongful Incarceration Act.

The 49-year-old Satellite Beach man must find a sponsor in the Florida Legislature to write a special claims bill for the 2010 session.

Dillon spent 27 years in prison for the murder of James Dvorak, but he was released last year when a judge granted a new trial based on DNA evidence. He became a free man when the state decided not to prosecute again.

(MyFoxOrlando.com) Even though he says no amount of money will give him back the years he lost, Dillon wants the state to pay him $50,000 for every year he spent locked up under the wrongful incarceration act.

However the act has a clean hands provision which does not allow compensation for anyone with an unrelated prior felony conviction.

Back when Dillon was 19 he was convicted of possession of marijuana.
That’s $1,350,000 that the State of Florida owes William Dillon for wrongfully caging him for 27 years of his life. That’s Nelson Mandela time! Wrongfully convicted of murder, freed by modern science, and he cannot have his justice because he was a teenage pot smoker that got caught. Please — 1979, when Dillon was 19, was the modern peak of marijuana usage in America. Sixty percent of high school seniors had tried marijuana, half had used in the past year, and one-third had used in the past month.

In case you’re wondering how William Dillon managed to get convicted of a murder he didn’t commit? Read on…

(Innocence Project of Florida) Dillon’s 27 years in jail represent the longest time served by any of the 232 individuals exonerated nationwide as a result of DNA test results. Dillon was exonerated when his innocence of a 1981 murder was proved by DNA evidence that came as a result of a 2007 motion filed by IPF and attorney Mike Pirolo. Dillon was subsequently released November 18, 2008.

The state’s case against Dillon was based largely on the testimony of an admitted perjurer who had a sexual liaison with the case’s lead investigator during the investigation, a fraudulent dog scent expert, a partially blind eyewitness and an individual whose own charges in a rape case were dropped in exchange for his testimony, which included numerous details at odds with known facts in the case.

Wow, that’s a real bang-up beyond-a-reasonable-doubt prosecution there, ain’t it?

G

Guest 88950

we have some ridiculous laws here. it makes growing your own meds pretty risky but being free from all the schwag make it worth it.

G

Guest 18340

Leave it to Florida to figure out how to fuck somebody after acknowledging they fucked him the first time.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Wow...

Wow...

That's FUCKED UP!!! I really hope karma swings back around fer him! BC

T

TrichyTrichy

Party promoters gotta stop using that state. No revenue for Florida.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This really pisses me off. They KNOW they are doing him wrong...a second time...but it is worse. This time they are doing it on PURPOSE...

Democracy my ass. What a totally f@#%ed up country...

dank.Frank

toasted1

i saw 1 of those crime shows bout this case cpl months back :fsu:dude got his manhood yanked train style the first night in prison with a few shanks shoved in him 2 :nono:
if i was this dude im sry but tim mcvay wouldnt have shit on me id earn my time"hello u-haul? ill take the biggest truck u got" :2cents:

just found the link u gotta watch the vid to really c how fuckd up this is
http://www.floridatoday.com/section...illon's+27-year+Fight+for+Freedom/58969643001

stay safe
:smokey: