What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Congressional Research Service (CRS) Medical Marijuana: Review and Analysis

psg1

Here is a link to a copy of the report created by the Congressional Research Service titled "Medical Marijuana: Review and Analysis of Federal and State Policies"
http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RL33211_20051229.pdf

According to Wiki, the Congressional Research Service (CRS), known as "Congress's think tank", is the public policy research arm of the United States Congress.

This document was requested by and prepared for congress. Of particular interest is the section titled "Analysis of Arguments For and Against Medical Marijuana." You'll find many common arguments for and against with an analysis on the veracity of each. I think you'll all be pleasantly surprised at many of the conclusions.

Apologies if this has been posted previously!

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Very interesting, The real problem is going to be convincing the fossils in the senate and house to change the laws or for us to change who's in the senate or house. When I was a young man voting for the first time, the people running were all as old as dirt, now I'm 40+years older and most of them are still older than dirt. For what ever reason mj has been vilified by the government. As the article on the front page of icmag says us aging boomers are on the edge of pushing reform,after all the baby boomers sorta got the whole thing started back in the sixties, I know I did my part to smoke as much hash in germany in 69, as I did drink beer.:smoweed:

psg1

There's certainly some truth to that. Unfortunately, it looks like we'll be taking at least one major swing to the right rather shortly in congress. We can only hope it's with the libertarian brand versus the "stay in church, don't do drugs" brand!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
This Report, coming from a reputable, unbiased entity such as the Congressional Research Service, IMO may prove to be the "Atomic Bomb" in the arsenal of Proponents for Medical Marijuana--
I believe that using the following quote in a Public Awareness Program, making the General Public aware of the lack of rationale, and the excess of Political Agenda concerning the Scheduling of Marijuana as a Schedule I drug, would force the Federal Gov't to explain it's now unexplainable stance!!
Finally, in
1988, after extensive public hearings on marijuana’s medicinal value, the chief
administrative law judge of the Drug Enforcement Administration (the BNDD’s
successor agency) ruled on the petition, stating that “Marijuana, in its natural form,
is one of the safest therapeutically active substances known to man.”
28 Judge Francis
L. Young also wrote:
The evidence in this record clearly shows that marijuana has been accepted as
capable of relieving the distress of great numbers of very ill people, and doing
so with safety under medical supervision. It would be unreasonable, arbitrary
and capricious for DEA to continue to stand between those sufferers and the benefits of this substance in light of the evidence in this record.
Judge Young found that “the provisions of the [Controlled Substances] Act
permit and require the transfer of marijuana from schedule I to schedule II,” which
would recognize its medicinal value and permit doctors to prescribe it. The Judge’s
findings and recommendation were soon rejected by the DEA Administrator because
“marijuana has not been demonstrated as suitable for use as a medicine.”29
Subsequent rescheduling petitions were also rejected, and marijuana remains a
Schedule I substance.
This Report, on a whole...explicitly shows the unreasonable stance the Federal Gov't has taken, and the length that they are willing to go...to keep Marijuana, in any form, Illegal--

Last edited:

elwaponino

pearlemae, I have to disagree with you about you baby boomers making the reform, I feel it's my generation (I'm 25), and the use of the internet that has brought this reform. And in all honesty you guys half ass it anyways, I wouldn't brag about the sixties, from one day to the next you guys cut your long hair for a briefcase, and never fully changed the world. Very few hippies that are still hippies. Now, if we're gonna mention the Constitution, you let it get butchered for your 40+ years, and for THAT I would be ashamed to call myself a hippie, or actually retired. I really feel that your generation let the ball drop. But if you wanna be part of the r3volution FUCKEN AY!

psg1

Here is one of my favorite sections:

"Medical marijuana opponents argue that chronic marijuana smoking is harmful
to the lungs, the cardiovascular system, and possibly the immune and reproductive
systems. These claims may be overstated to preserve marijuana prohibition. For
example, neither epidemiological nor aggregate clinical data show higher rates of
lung cancer in people who smoke marijuana. The other alleged harms also remain
unproven.
The therapeutic value of smoked marijuana is supported by existing research and
experience. For example, the following statements appeared in the American
Medical Association’s (AMA’s) “Council on Scientific Affairs Report 10 —
Medicinal Marijuana,” adopted by the AMA House of delegates on December 9,
1997:

“Smoked marijuana was comparable to or more effective than oral THC [Marinol], and considerably more effective than prochlorperazine or other previous antiemetics in reducing nausea and emesis.” (p. 10)

“Anecdotal, survey, and clinical data support the view that smoked marijuana and oral THC provide symptomatic relief in some patients with spasticity associated with multiple sclerosis (MS) or trauma.” (p. 13)

“Smoked marijuana may benefit individual patients suffering from intermittent or chronic pain.” (p. 15)""

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I thought this was a great quote

For most of American history, growing and using marijuana was legal under
federal law and the laws of the individual states. By the 1840s, some U.S. physicians
began to recognize marijuana’s therapeutic potential. From 1850 to the early 1940s,
cannabis was included in the United States Pharmacopoeia as a recognized
medicinal
. By the end of 1936, however, all 48 states had enacted laws to regulate
marijuana. Its decline in medicine was hastened by the development of aspirin,
morphine, and then other opium-derived drugs, all of which helped to replace
marijuana in the treatment of pain and other medical conditions in Western
medicine.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If this is "Congress's think tank" then that explains a lot of dumb shit that happens in our government. If they actually did any real research at all they would said mmj is 100 percent valid and is the only thing that safely helps hundreds of diseases, and helps save the lives of thousands every year.

Dumb fuck CRS should be disbanded like every other bullshit government agency, because to anyone with an IQ over 75 can see CRS is actually just another propaganda tank.

budlover123

If this is "Congress's think tank"...
have you read some of what people are quoting? If it is a think tank, they got some fresh new ideas :laughing:

This has been a long time coming, hippies started the movement but it was usurped by evil powers that be, we must take this fight more seriously and not be undermined by venomous assholes and personal greed.

That being said, those fucking tax cuts for the rich just won't go away, so we probably got a good way to go. The bullshit fact that weed is illegal and the tax cuts for the wealthy line the same wealthy pockets.

budlover123

The Medical Marijuana Movement Is Politically Inspired

Advocates have tried to legalize marijuana in one form or another for three decades, and the “medical marijuana” concept is a Trojan Horse tactic towards the goal of legalization. (Brief of the Drug Free America Foundation et al., 2004121)

Medical marijuana opponents see the movement to promote the use of medical marijuana as a cynical attempt to subvert the Controlled Substances Act and legalize the recreational use of marijuana for all. They see it as a devious tactic in the more than 30-year effort by marijuana proponents to bring an end to marijuana prohibition in the United States and elsewhere. They point out that between 1972 and 1978, the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) successfully lobbied 11 state legislatures to decriminalize the drug, reducing penalties for possession in most cases to that of a traffic ticket. Also, in 1972, NORML began the first of several unsuccessful attempts to petition the DEA to reschedule marijuana from Schedule I to Schedule II on the grounds that crude marijuana had use in medicine.
That bit about medical marijuana being a "Trojan horse" for the legalization of marijuana sounds about right to me, because these 16+ states laws should be enough to shake the foundation of bullshit the federal law is based upon.