What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Quick Car Question

Green Squall

Inquiring for a family member. Basically, he was driving a Chevy Equinox that had about 80,000 miles on it. Car was in great shape and was worth maybe 6 grand. Out of nowhere, the engine shit the bed. There is no fixing it, period. Now he's told its worth maybe $300. I mean, it has no engine lol.

Does he have any options here? Certainly the parts must be worth something or it could be a project car for someone willing to buy a new engine. I guess I'm just asking what would you do in this scenario. He has already leased a Jeep Cherokee, so at this point won't be purchasing a new or used engine.

Big M

I'm guessing it was a dealer that told him that it's worth so little. That probably would be a bit better than scrap price, but not by much. There are auto rebuilders who take cars like his and fix them up all the time. They would probably give more than that. I would ask around at body shops and mechanics if they know any rebuilders in your area. He could also list it on craigslist and probably get a couple grand out of it if the right buyer sees it.

Put it on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist for a few times that. But even if it's $6,995 at a dealer, it's $1,200 not running; private party... If fairly clean...

Not many cash buyers over about $3k, especially for a known unreliable model.

I don't know the year or condition, so I can't really guess the price without seeing it. I'm just imagining a 2009 that needs a full detail and an engine swap.

I hope I'm not coming off like a dick, I'm not a master mechanic, but done a few swaps and partial rebuilds. But I have worked at three dealerships. These equinoxes got a bad rep by ~2014, and started tanking in value. Just like the older taurai did. I will buy the hell out of a clean Taurus for $700 all day, and can easily.
The Equinox is headed that way.

If it's *$6,995*! at a dealer, all shined up, I would guess yours is worth ~$900 dirty and blown up. A private seller would be hard pressed to sell it for over $3500 cash in my mind's eye of a dirty, dark blue, awd?, third row equipped, 2009 blown up at a mere 80k. And foggy headlights, and corroded wheels.

If it's like a 2012 and clean, maybe get $1800???

Some sandpaper, heavy rubbing compound, and "aluminum brightener" from napa will make a car look ten times newer.
I pressure wash interiors and all that; if need be.
Car guys WILL bother with an engine swap bargain if the car is fully detailed otherwise. They can show their girl the clean car and she will like it, and he comes and tows it home.

You gotta remove every trace of the previous owner to show it. No stickers, cup holder accessories, nothing. Get all your crap out if it, and detail it. You will sell it fast and for top dollar.

I won't buy a car PERIOD if it has any rust through the metal ANYWHERE. If it's just a bubble or some rust stains, and the car has no dents, and no rips in the interior, I would buy it with a blown engine.

The aluminum brightener is diluted sulfuric acid, rust stains on paint or wheels will come right off with a cloth or pressure washer. My dirty used car trick. That and 3m heavy rubbing compound. A hazy and scratched car, with rusty wheels, smoke odor, and stains are my specialty.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
$300? local scrap yards pay out upwards of $500 to $800 even if not running & they come pick it up w/a rollback. gotta be used motors to fit it around out of wrecks for a grand or less.

Green Squall

Thanks for the advice guys, but my knucklehead of a father sold it for $300 lol. He couldn't be bothered to deal with it apparently, even though I offered to help him out. Oh well.

PizzaMan - No, you weren't coming off like a dick. I appreciate your detailed response and even relayed some of the info to him.

AOH - He's stubborn lol. Runs a business and simply didn't want to deal with the hassle. Thanks, though.