What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MH vs HPS in bloom

the gnome

Veteran
yo dimebag.... for sure, i'd give that digilux a go.

i just upgraded to digilume DE.
the hps bulb that comes with them is rockin it.
it seems to be a higher K rated hps bulb than the horti's i used.
it's not nearly as orange in the room.
what i can tell you what the diff is between DE and the halides i ran,
a LOT more intense light and a LOT more stretch :D
DE is the future now!
a few years ago there were a couple DE fixture gav's and epaps.
now there's at least 7-8 maybe?.
btw
there's only 1 MH DE bulb on the market right now but more will become available soon.
and it's a 4000K halide :)

after plopping $$ down to switch over to DE
and the DE MH is around a $100
i'm gonna run the hps bulbs that i have now for a while and recoup on my investment.
and wait to see more variety in the DE halides that are sure to be coming out.
so far only solis tek has the only DE MH bulb on the market

dimebag_

DE is the future now!
btw
there's only 1 MH DE bulb on the market right now but more will become available soon.

i'm gonna run the hps bulbs that i have now for a while and recoup on my investment.

Hey thanks Gnome…you're way ahead of me equipment-wise. I've been traveling a bunch last few years haven't really focused on upgrading until just recently (strain-wise and equip). And now I'm battling some sort of pythium or something. So paychecks aren't as nice at the moment to be able to do so, till I figure this frustrating b.s. out.

I had never heard of those digilumes. I just watched a youtube vid and they seem to have higher par and light intensity ratings than any other DE out right now, and they're cheaper. They sure look funky tho…lol. How did you hear about them-did you research a bunch? Do they run pretty hot? Do you have to have ceilings higher than 8 ft. to run those biaches or turn the wattage down?

The guy at the shop near me was recommending Phantom DE's saying they're better than gavitas..I'm just now starting to research de's but its tough cuz new ones seem to come out every fricken month these days, and there's already quite a few out there. I thought gavitas were like the top of the line. But I guess not. They have been around for a long time tho, so I imagine they stand behind their shit pretty good. I don't know much tho…ha

dbag :smoke:

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats up Gnomie?

Imho all of the DE fixtures are pretty darn good. Some may be a bit better in some applications than others for sure. I dont see any one tho being vastly superior to another. They're all pretty good.

the gnome

Veteran
dimebag, I have an 8ft6" ceiling,
digilume recommends 48" to the canopy.
i can get 36-40" @1000w.
directly below the bulb is the hottest spot.
so i put the shorter plants there and larger around the bulbs perimeter.
I grow tree's so I'm going to have to up my game on keeping a better mo even canopy.
i usually just bend over the the taller tops horiz.
the digilumes have the highest rating using the ushio bulb.
not taking away from epaps-n-gavs but the technology can only get better and lower prices over time like anything else.

when i got the lamps i hung one at 5ft just for fun, putting my hand 16" under it palm up i was blinded from the reflection,
literally couldn't look at it lol.
I was impressed....

and look who comes out of the wood work...
sup mckush! :D
good to see you still posting.
how's your DE gav? or epap?? working out for ya....?

dimebag_

DE is the future now!
btw

Hey Gnomes…my fricken bulbs are like a year old in my thou-ies so I gotta replace them before I upgrade to new lights unfortunately. I was about to grab a few horti's on amazon and I noticed the ushio's super hps 1000w's are the same price-like $56.

Do you think the ushios are superior to hortilux or is it preference or what's what? I've never used ushios before but I read good things about them. I know hortilux is great but a lotta hype and advertising too. thanks brotha

db-

dimebag_

Hey Gnomes…my fricken bulbs are like a year old in my thou-ies so I gotta replace them before I upgrade to new lights unfortunately. I was about to grab a few horti's on amazon and I noticed the ushio's super hps 1000w's are the same price-like $56.

Do you think the ushios are superior to hortilux or is it preference or what's what? I've never used ushios before but I read good things about them. I know hortilux is great but a lotta hype and advertising too. thanks brotha

db-

Gnome-nevermind dude…I just watched a vid where growershouse did a par rating test on like 9 diff bulbs. Hortilux came out 10% better than ushio and digilux. I guess they really are the tippy top of the line for hps 1000W bulbs.

Grapefruitroop

CMH

CMH

Hi all:tiphat:

Sorry for bumping such an old thread but is so interesting, and thanks all for the precious info on here...

Im really fascinated by the pros of this 4000k MH bulb and i wanted to ask to The Gnome (but of course anyone else is welcome) what are your opinion about the 630w CMH compared to the 1000w Mh bulb....

Is it worth the upfront investment?

Im reading that those 630w cmh put out a lot of heat, probably similar to an 1000w?

Thanks so much guys!:dance013:

Biologist

Has anyone compared the 4000K MH that Gnome is recommending to a CMH? I'm wondering how it would fare watt for watt.

TAÏNY

I have been growing for 12 years and done side by sides with everything and nothing works better than the sun..... but for indoors the best thing is these new Full spectrum HPS bulbs. My resin production has never been higher. My leaves fold up with frost and all but my longest stemmed fanned leaves frost up. Also my plants purple better too!

Hey Hash Zeppelin, how's it going?
What strain is it man?

Latest posts

Latest posts