What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My lungs and BHO

KiefSweat

Veteran
the joys of a "legal market"
I am just glad my suspicions where correct. you really gotta know the source if your running someone else material.

midwestHIGHS

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys!

Bho954- my oil is fully purged that is the least of my worries. no spark, no crackle, I can take lighter and run it directly over the a dab and all it does is melt. I vac purge at a steady temp of 125f-135f for well over an hour until the bubbles are all gone. I agree alot of bho isn't fully purged, but mine is.:)

Kiefsweat- thats gross I'm sure what I was running had something on it along those lines. nasty stuff! It seems like a common thing to try and save a grow with lots of nasty chems then ship it east. And I agree it totally sucks not knowing exactly how my materal was grown. sigh

Biohazard- thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to read up more about this wonderful product!

Lung update: My lungs are feeling so much better compared to the last 3 weeks. I can take deep breaths easily with no discomfert right after dabbing. YAY I thought I was going to have to quit using bho for a minute! lord a mercy!

Any idea on what vapor pen to buy? Theres's so many to choose from and any suggestions would greatly help.

Right now im looking at the ego t ecig with LR atomizer for bigger hits. How are the taste on these vapor pens, I've read that some have burnt plastic/metallic taste when they get low on oil.

hammalamma

Veteran
Thanks for the replies guys!

Bho954- my oil is fully purged that is the least of my worries. no spark, no crackle, I can take lighter and run it directly over the a dab and all it does is melt. I vac purge at a steady temp of 125f-135f for well over an hour until the bubbles are all gone. I agree alot of bho isn't fully purged, but mine is.:)

Kiefsweat- thats gross I'm sure what I was running had something on it along those lines. nasty stuff! It seems like a common thing to try and save a grow with lots of nasty chems then ship it east. And I agree it totally sucks not knowing exactly how my materal was grown. sigh

Biohazard- thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to read up more about this wonderful product!

Lung update: My lungs are feeling so much better compared to the last 3 weeks. I can take deep breaths easily with no discomfert right after dabbing. YAY I thought I was going to have to quit using bho for a minute! lord a mercy!

Any idea on what vapor pen to buy? Theres's so many to choose from and any suggestions would greatly help.

Right now im looking at the ego t ecig with LR atomizer for bigger hits. How are the taste on these vapor pens, I've read that some have burnt plastic/metallic taste when they get low on oil.
The ego t is the way to go just make sure its pass through charging and not the screw on charger. Its all about the carto try different ones find out what works best for you.

hammalamma

Veteran
I don't think so. The end cap looks to small to screw off.
here check out mine
picture.php

see the liitle end cap with the CE logo? That screw off and there is a micro or mini usb, I can never remember which is which, but it's the older bigger one, like digital cameras' used to have. The cool thing about charging from there is you can just plug it in and use it if your battery dies.

HeD333

Feel like I'm reviving a dead thread- but I wanted to come in and put in my 2 cents about lighters/hash oil-

You can certainly heat hash oil with a butane without releasing phenol gasses- in fact, to a certain extent you can do it with plain flowers too. Most seasoned smokers do, at least initially on a green bowl.

The key to using a butane lighter for oil is two fold- you have to use a non-flammable platform that breathes- lots of people use cannabis ash due to it's availability. The other key is to use the HEAT not the FLAME to vaporize your oil. It takes some practice, and you'll probably screw up from time to time and flash the oil, but 99% of the time I take a vaporized hit with a butane the lighter, that's the exact same flavor, texture, and color as off my ti-nail or pad rig.
/2cents

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
If anyone is looking for a completely organic (odorless/tasteless) flowering stage Powdery Mildew killer (also kills spider mites) I Highly recommend JMS Stylet Oil you can use it up to a day before you harvest no problem, it's completely organic - again NO SMELL / NO TASTE

Is that the (faintly) 'perfumed' OILY FILM bud that I'm tasting these days?

Odorless and Tasteless are extremely subjective terms. What you can't smell or taste (or feel, in this case) is usually disgusting to folks like me.

Ever take a really big hit of bud from a clean pipe and get an oily film in your throat and on your tounge? Most of you would start to feel it after 2-3 rips... I feel it in one.

PLEASE... do the world a favor and take the time to create and implement procedures that DON'T have you spraying during flower.

Nothing but plain water.

The buds are AWESOME that way, especially for the sensitive freaks like myself. Gah! Killer BHO material. :)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

cyphaman

I have been experiencing the exact same problem, I have only smoked BHO for 7 months and had to quit. Smoking flowers will only ever introduce a low amount of the medicinal/essential oils into your lungs, whereas oil is substantially higher of course (it is all essential oils). I read an article about how the thickness and viscosity of the essential oils is very solis at Room Temp (shatter) and therefor is tricky for the lungs to the handle. Give yourself a month off, get your health back in gear (4 days exercise a week) and you will see your lungs and overall breathing slide right back in working order....After a month off you can either go back to tiny dabs the odd time (once a week or twice) without too much harm, but you need to stay active to keep those lungs in CLear-out mode. Hope this helps.....Oh and THIS DOESNT MEAN YOU HAVE TO STOP GETTING HIGH, make some bho (decarb'd) edibles and you will be so schtoned you wont even need a dab!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lungs are actually millions of air pockets connected via tissue/vascular (veins/arteries, capillaries) web. With bho, it will disturb the most fragile and delicate of pulmonary tissue....the alveoli. That's where the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange happens. Breathe in oxygen, breathe out carbon dioxide....it's the body's mechanism to rid toxins. Using bho with dramatically increase emphysema issues (where air sacs/alveoli collapse or 'clog'), then scar tissue occurs. Lung volume will continue to decrease.

That's why ONE blood clot (pulmonary emboli) in lung tissue can kill you!!!

Compound that with gnarly ill made rough strained bho....recipe for disaster.

There's already alarm bells in ER's with those with pulmonary issues from bho....and will continue to rise.....

At least with kief it vaporizes upon entering esophagus, trachea into the lungs. Tar residues remain,(from cigarettes, marijuana) but not like sticky compounds that cannot break down, thus kills off the alveoli.

No thanks!!! Prefer to breathe in deep!!

J

jackgastche

Lungs are actually millions of air pockets connected via tissue/vascular (veins/arteries, capillaries) web. With bho, it will disturb the most fragile and delicate of pulmonary tissue....the alveoli. That's where the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange happens. Breathe in oxygen, breathe out carbon dioxide....it's the body's mechanism to rid toxins. Using bho with dramatically increase emphysema issues (where air sacs/alveoli collapse or 'clog'), then scar tissue occurs. Lung volume will continue to decrease.

That's why ONE blood clot (pulmonary emboli) in lung tissue can kill you!!!

Compound that with gnarly ill made rough strained bho....recipe for disaster.

There's already alarm bells in ER's with those with pulmonary issues from bho....and will continue to rise.....

At least with kief it vaporizes upon entering esophagus, trachea into the lungs. Tar residues remain,(from cigarettes, marijuana) but not like sticky compounds that cannot break down, thus kills off the alveoli.

No thanks!!! Prefer to breathe in deep!!

Where is this info coming from? Ive been working with a pulmonologist on a fairlly regular basis for many years and my lung capacity is definitely not decreasing. I've been using hash oil for roughly a decade now and although I often question the safety of inhalation as a ROA, my doctors assure me that my lungs are in excellent condition (even my doctors that disagree with my mmj use). I am an athlete and do a ton of cardio which helps, but I find it hard to believe that cardio alone would save me if BHO was really as bad for then lungs as is claimed. Interested to see what's up.

B

BredForMeds

clean bho isn't that bad for ya. sorry but I know dudes who been smoking bho for soo long.. and they are snowboarders and runners and athletes who could outsmoke me.. then go run miles no problem.. I think its shitty bho. and moldy bud turned to bho.. but not winterized or filtered properly? iuno I can say that its deff different for everyone.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have mild COPD from smoking bud since the late sixties, and now have to limit its use.

What I do, is mostly vaporize winterized oil instead, which doesn't appear to make my COPD worse, and does clear the passageways.

I find that I cough more if I don't winterize the oil, and vaporize plant waxes along with the oil.

I suspect that the increase in respiratory issues lies with frequency of use due to tolerance buildup.

Using any cannabis concentrate both deposits resins in the lungs and increases your tolerance. If you vaporize more often, because of that increasing tolerance, you are abusing your lungs at some point.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Where is this info coming from? Ive been working with a pulmonologist on a fairlly regular basis for many years and my lung capacity is definitely not decreasing. I've been using hash oil for roughly a decade now and although I often question the safety of inhalation as a ROA, my doctors assure me that my lungs are in excellent condition (even my doctors that disagree with my mmj use). I am an athlete and do a ton of cardio which helps, but I find it hard to believe that cardio alone would save me if BHO was really as bad for then lungs as is claimed. Interested to see what's up.

ya i got an overall checkup recently, and they found nothing at all wrong with me. i vape bho everyday for a decade now.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
clean bho isn't that bad for ya. sorry but I know dudes who been smoking bho for soo long.. and they are snowboarders and runners and athletes who could outsmoke me.. then go run miles no problem.. I think its shitty bho. and moldy bud turned to bho.. but not winterized or filtered properly? iuno I can say that its deff different for everyone.

That, too, moldy bud, poorly extracted hash oil. Yes, everyone different.....those with compromised immune symptoms or cardiopulmonary issues are at greater risk than the one who is a marathoner in previous thread.

Difference of opinion.......

Go for it.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ya i got an overall checkup recently, and they found nothing at all wrong with me. i vape bho everyday for a decade now.

Lung damage cannot be 'seen' until too late....ex: small cell cancer, masses, lesions. Scarring yes, pneumonia yes, infiltrates, yes.

Fooling yourself thinking smoking hash oil extracted by harsh chemical process does absolutely no damage to your lungs?? But then again, you say you are ok....so be it. Most pulmonologists would not agree with your practitioner.

Have you had the nano gold nebulizer test to show absolutely no lung damage?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles Sept. 2009

The present data show that nanosized particles, but not microsized particles, induce a dysfunction of pulmonary surfactant. Nanosized titanium dioxide as well as nanosized polystyrene particles at high concentrations can induce a slight pulmonary surfactant dysfunction in vitro. Interestingly, surface area cycling in vitro aggravated the surfactant dysfunction induced by nanoparticles, both by TiO2 NSP and by polystyrene NSP. In addition, biophysical alterations of pulmonary surfactant by TiO2 NSP were accompanied by changes of the surfactant ultrastructure indicating increased surfactant subtype conversion.
A direct interaction between particles and the surfactant constituents is the most likely explanation for the observed surfactant dysfunction.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/

"Nanoparticles, nanotechnology and pulmonary nanotoxicology"
Jan-Feb 2013 Pgs 28-37 AJ Fierria, et.al.

SUMMARY
The different characteristics of nanoparticles such as size, shape, surface charge, chemical properties, solubility and degree of agglomeration will determine their effects on biological systems and human health, and the likelihood of respiratory hazards. There are a number of new studies about the potential occupational and environmental effects of nanoparticles and general precautionary measures are now fully justified.
Adverse respiratory effects include multifocal granulomas, peribronchial inflammation, progressive interstitial fibrosis, chronic inflammatory responses, collagen deposition and oxidative stress.

buddymag00

exact same thing with me really unsettling feeling . people here are just defending bho instead of engaging with the problem you are experiencing. seems everyone is an expert on this site which is weird since they have such contradictory opinions and all scientists without conducting any controlled experiments( so I'm not interested unless its something you actually know about directly) i was smoking it for bout 3 months just spreading it on cigarette paper. i started getting the feeling you described like my lungs were sticking and felt quite irritated. i stopped smoking the oil but 2 weeks later my lungs are still recovering. because its a specific feeling I'm guessing its either a specific impurity , or a specific sensitivity in some people so id like to hear about anyone who can identify with it or ACTUALY KNOWS FOR CERTAIN what causes this reaction

blastfrompast

Veteran
I stopped smoking ciggies and burning flowers (99.999% of the time) because I got tired of the GERD.

took 8weeks or so for my lungs to finally clear all that shit out..... Had Dr. etc. check it out... he said i should have been worried had the 20yrs of 1/8th aday and half a pack of smokes worth of tar not came up...

And we are talking chunks of essentially what looked like pipe resin....

as for those who say they can smoke flowers and it wont deposit anything...put a clean piece of cotton t-shirt over the end of the joint and take a pull with your "clean flowers".... you will get yellow staining after a pull or 2.