What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Electrical stimulation of plant growth

Snow Crash

Veteran
I pulled this from one of the links:

"The stimulating action of the alternating current was greatest when the current with density of 0.5 mA/sq cm... A direct current with density of 0.01 mA/sq cm had approximately the same action. When these optimal current densities were used in hotbeds, the yield of green mass could be increased by 40%."
I think this is probably the most useful information when it comes to applying this tech.

Some time ago I had read another thread where the grower had purchased small solar powered panels (like the kind on those solar outdoor patio/garden lights) that would provide a low amperage, along the lines of what is suggested here, when the lights came on. They used a piece of copper wire and a zinc coated nail (I think) as electrodes buried in the media. The little panels are less than $6 a piece so for a small grow, or to test it out on a few plants, this could be mimicked cheaply with nothing but a hardware or hobby store.

My research into the process seems to indicate that electrical currents have the a most noticeable effect on root systems. I believe that this is due to a supercharging of microbial activity which decreases Alkalinity and increases element availability to the plant. Larger roots grow a larger plant that can mature at a more rapid pace.

I have been debating experimenting with this myself and am subscribing here because this is a fantastic resource for when I do make the decision to electrify. Something that has been making the rounds recently as a brand new product (not even patented yet) are these BioWave Hydro products. Biowave Hydro at Sunlight Supply They look fucking crazy and work by using sub-sonic frequencies to increase stomata size and plant respiration rates. I do wonder what effect electrical root stimulation of an organic enriched media (coco would be PERFECT) in combination with sub-sonic enhancement and CO2 enrichement could result in. Not for every grower I'm certain... But if the net gain is more than double I think these systems could pay for themselves in a very short period of time.

If only I had a spare 10K to build a "Test Laboratory." Then I wouldn't have to wonder anymore.

Imagine a future where grow lights look like disco balls covered in small Plasma diodes, a mini spinning sun. Where sonic frequency and electrical stimulation is the norm and plants grow twice as big in half the time. I have the ideas and the will to make the future the present. I just don't have the capital... yet.

mrcreosote

Veteran
I had a brainiac buddy who won the state high school science fair as a freshman by taking two cheap pocket transistor radios and screwing up the tuners so they created a white noise static in different frequencies. He showed that certain frequencies increased plant growth over a control group using pothos cuttings.

He could have skipped senior year and gone to Harvard but he turned them down because B.U. offered him a deal that he could work on any projects he wanted.
Then he chucked it all for divinity school.

I had to pay for community college to make up classes I skipped to smoke weed and hang out.

I have heard of studies with music but I imagine he's not the only one to think of generated frequency experiments.

StevenSteve

After seeing the movie Avatar and what i coined as "electrochemical biology" I became interested in the electrochemical makeup of living things concentrated on plants, and specifically my favorite plant :)

Anyway the movie avatar had some great sci-fi technology for electrochemical biology such as the brain scan that shows active real time brain electical activity or that device the professor uses to measure and "see" the electricity flowing through the plant... This inspired me!!

Anyway I have been doing alot of research on my own to better educate myself on these things.. I am fairly new to this field but have heard that crystals can help the energy of plants... so i started researching crystals and found limited information, but will keep researching... from what i understand, they use crystals in all types of devices... watches, computers, electronics.. trying to figure out the nature of crystals or different crystals to better understand what they are capable of and how to use them to benefit plants or other organisms...

I would think a static versus a stable current (and it seems like crystals have a stable current) would affect plants differently, also with electrochemical biology, differnt chemical processes can effect differnt thigns such as photosynthesis and respiration... so it is separate, yet tied together (electricity and chemistry in plants/organisms)

To go more in depth, it seems as if crystal energy, is more like (stable maintainable) field energy, versus a quick "burst" of energy... much to be looked into, as i believe crystal technology is a lost art and has great potential

Brainstorming and idea sharing sometimes are the only place you can start!!! haha

Brainstorming... like this picture...
picture.php

StevenSteve

Interestingly enough, electromagnetic biology can perhaps be a situational thing, where a catalyst is used to boost the plants photosynthesis, or other electrochemical propertites... then removed when the time is right so the plant has time to "breathe" without being smothered by the electricity.. also good to take into consideration.. and perhaps introduced again when needed, or at certain intervals rather than a constant field... kind of like a night and day thing, a time to energize, and a time to rest

StevenSteve

And with anything electromagnetic, it is good to encourage natural electrochemical radiance (just like our favorite plant helps us naturally radiate), by helping it do it naturally... no forced electrical activity can be good for the plant in the long term... and this is why i am interested in crystals because they are natural and have energy properties to them that are natural... just gotta do some more learning!!! and that is why i think certain electrical devices may hinder plants if not set up correctly (just a theory though)

StevenSteve

oh and while your high, your attunement to crystals is greater... in my case anyway... it heightens your ability to "see into" the crystal which then increases your ability or attunement to the electromagnetic field and properties to the crystal, i reccomend just a small cluster, that size will be powerful enough to have fun with.. i have amethyst right now and it is awesome... when you look into it and move around a little you see that the inside of the crystal has weird optical properties, and throws off your eyes, then moving the crystal closer and farther to you (best if crystal is stationary the whole time) you begin to notice its field (especially while high), its really cool... just learning though and am trying to research and to learn more, something about their being free electrons in the crystal or something? not sure..

Perhaps crystals affect the plants in a special way, who knows, because they do have the link that while your high you notice it more, natural amplifiers? i gotta do some research!! any info would be great!!!

peaceful and loose, like an electron cloud is dancing with me is what i feel near the crystal and the closer i get the stronger it gets

My theory is that the plants act like a big capacitor that charges up due to the electric field between the atmosphere and earth, and the ionizing radiation from UV type light. The charging current in them is in the form of ionic compounds (nutrients taken in from the roots) THC is known to absorb UV, and UV can bump an electron to a higher orbital or kick it out of there completely.... What if every trichome is actually a solar energy generator? I bet if you used a high positive voltage (10's to 100's of kilovolts) field around the plants, their growth would be improved... Maybe take the flyback lead off a big tv and connect it to a piece of aluminum foil over you plants and put a big ground rod in you pot and attach it to the gound of the tv circuit :)

Electrically Forced Uptake of Nutrient Solution

Electrically Forced Uptake of Nutrient Solution

After reading this thread a week or so ago I was reading my botany book regarding plants uptake of nutrients, this is what I found.

Plants use a concentration gradient and a charge gradient to bring water and nutrients into the root system, and also to move sugars in the phloem cells... The plants produce sugars which are sent to the roots, the roots use these sugars and available oxygen to make ATP( adenosine tri-phosphate ).

ATP is used to power proton pumps which send positively charged hydrogen protons out of the roots to change the charge of surrounding areas. This process makes the medium more acidic making more nutrients available in soluble form. It also leaves the root with a negative charge, which brings in positively charged ions like Ca, Mg, and K. Once these ions move into the root system there is a concentration gradient which makes an osmotic pressure to bring in the water.

My hypothesis is that electrically stimulating the soil is forcing this process to happen. Sort of like having an IV with an inline pump forcing food into your veins. The increased charge should make up for the plants need to do this and will force solution into the plants root hairs.

The immediate effects people are seeing on the root growth could be due to the fact that this is only forcing the nutrient solution so far. The plant still has to move things from the root hair to the inner root cells, then up the xylem to the part of the plant that requires it. My guess is that is why this seems quite advantageous to the roots on first glance. As most know, more roots can generally lead to a better harvest, this is definitely something to experiment with.

pez

iseefishpeople

well this thread has massivly expanded my electro knowledge (theory) i am currently trying out the hook an PV solar cell into the soil method, though i have no control plants as am growing one in a confined but very secret space.

i am very interested in trying to add magnetite to the soil, as am about to move from a small peat pot to a larger container, this stuff is just iron oxide from what i can make out, like this my only concern is that wouldnt it rust?? hmmm

Snow Crash

Veteran
Ferric (iron) oxide is rust.

Try Terra Preta for some interesting reactions. The Carbon is good stuff.

highonmt

Veteran
Elemental/Macronutrient ion notes:

N: Nitrogen: gives off nitride anion (-)
P: Phosphorus: gives off phosphide anion (-)
K: Potassium: gives off potassium cation (+)

Micronutrient ion notes:
Magnesium Magnesium cation (+)
Calcium Calcium cation (+)
Zinc Zinc cation (+)

Multistate micronute cations:
Manganese Manganese(II) or manganous
Manganese(III) or manganic

Copper Copper(I) or cuprous
Copper(II) or cupric

Phosphides are not common in nature and more likely phosphate would be the anion in the presence of oxygen ...in aqueous solution the life time of base metal phosphides would be very short some stable transition metal phosphides are found in iron nickle meteors and coal ash but they are rare. The nitrides of the base metals are unstable and decompose in the presence of oxygen to provide ammonia and the base metal hydroxide. except li3N which is air stable but reacts violently with water to yeild ammonia and lioh

The electrochemical process of nutrient uptake is interesting in that both anions, cations and uncharged species must be selectively taken up by trans membrane proteins in the plant cells. The cations are attracted by the negatively charged inner cell membrane and of course concentration gradient, and can just pass through gated ion channels to enter the cell plasma. Anions and uncharged species must be activly transported into the cell at the cost of the uptake of a proton. The driving force is H atpase protiens that abstract protons and give the inner cell overall negative charge. Here is a good read on the process and implications .

http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/~dutcher/download/phys_4560_7510/cd/other%20papers/palmgren_AnnuRevPlantPhysiolPlantMolBiol_01.pdf

Will application of current to the media and or plant assist this process or not...maybe the effect has to do with the solvated radii of the anions which would decrease in a negativly charged solution... the energy cost of transport might go down... Very cool thread. Lets see yer test set up

My vote for one plant is cathode on the plant stem annode in the media to pontentially...excuse the pun... lower the energy of active transport. Have fun and please post up the results.
HM

iseefishpeople

Ferric (iron) oxide is rust.

Try Terra Preta for some interesting reactions. The Carbon is good stuff.

Hi snow crash
Terra preta owes its name to its very high charcoal content, and was indeed made by adding a mixture of charcoal, bone, and manure to the otherwise relatively infertile Amazonian soil, and stays there for thousands of years..... (wiki)

the stuff i am interested in is magnetite, from this link from the original post http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/magnetite.htm
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The Experimental Evidence:
One of my first experiments, which was performed In the fall of 2004, was to observed the effect of addition of magnetite to the soil of plants. Two 4" by 4" flower pots were filled with soil from our garden. Ten percent, by weight, of the soil of one pot was removed and replaced with magnetite. Both pots were seeded with petunia seed; about 4 seeds each. Both pots were watered every other day and exposed to daily sun light. The plants were observed daily and both sprouted within a week. After three week these pictures were taken. The plants in plant garden soil were about one inch height and the maximum leaf diameter was about one quarter inch. Most of the leaves were nibbled on by bugs. At the same time the plants in the pot with the 10% magnetite in the soil were tall and strong and healthy They were about two inches tall and had leaves with a diameter of about ½ inch each and the leaves were perfect, no nibbles by any bugs.
[/FONT]"

i was struggling to turn up magnetite as something to buy, hence me wondering whether this is the same stuff.
hmmmmmmmm

highonmt

Veteran
Hi snow crash
Terra preta owes its name to its very high charcoal content, and was indeed made by adding a mixture of charcoal, bone, and manure to the otherwise relatively infertile Amazonian soil, and stays there for thousands of years..... (wiki)

the stuff i am interested in is magnetite, from this link from the original post http://www.subtleenergies.com/ormus/tw/magnetite.htm
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]"The Experimental Evidence:
One of my first experiments, which was performed In the fall of 2004, was to observed the effect of addition of magnetite to the soil of plants. Two 4" by 4" flower pots were filled with soil from our garden. Ten percent, by weight, of the soil of one pot was removed and replaced with magnetite. Both pots were seeded with petunia seed; about 4 seeds each. Both pots were watered every other day and exposed to daily sun light. The plants were observed daily and both sprouted within a week. After three week these pictures were taken. The plants in plant garden soil were about one inch height and the maximum leaf diameter was about one quarter inch. Most of the leaves were nibbled on by bugs. At the same time the plants in the pot with the 10% magnetite in the soil were tall and strong and healthy They were about two inches tall and had leaves with a diameter of about ½ inch each and the leaves were perfect, no nibbles by any bugs.
[/FONT]"

i was struggling to turn up magnetite as something to buy, hence me wondering whether this is the same stuff.
hmmmmmmmm

Nope that is iron II oxide magnatite is a mineral that consists of Iron II and Iron III oxides http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetite It is black and you can find it on ebay but it is really quite common There was a lake with a large island of magnetite where I grew up...your compass would always point at the island... Cool idea the magnetite for both common iron oxidation states and probably silica for strength not to mention magnetic fields...but it could just be that your investigators soil was iron deficient or one of his two plants [far too small a sample set btw] had bugs or one of the seedlings could of had a genetic liability. Not good science but a cool idea...I'd try it. This stuff is insoluble but will slowly dissolve in HCl so maybe in slightly acidic media you'd see dissolution sort of timed release iron...cool idea.
HM

yocinfluence

Dang I wish I knew this earlier. I had a BUNCH of black sand from gold panning. I bet it would have made for an awesome expirement. But I wouldn't know what ratio to use it at.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Attached a patent assigned to the Ciba-Geigy Corporation (now Novartis) in which a method is disclosed that induces lasting, useful and desirable properties in fish by a brief application of electrostatic fields.
ROTFLMAO!

That anything like behavior control with people through electro-shock therapy? LOL

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm really not surprised that there have been results in this area of cultivation... looking forward to having the time to read up on it myself. :D Thanks for posting!

Stay Safe!

Not long after starting this thread I got married, which gave me something else to cultivate other than plants, so I never moved on to my controlled experiments - wondering if anyone else has had any luck with their research. any updates?

F

forestlaw

Sooooo much info!!! Glad to see this on icmag

I have some tiny solar panels stuck in some of my solo cups with germinating seeds. Not very scientific, but if it works we'll know soon enough.

thanks for the great thread

FL

de145

How do you ensure that you aren't witnessing side effects, for example when you wrap a coil around a plant and run electricity through it you're not just generating a magnetic field, you're heating the plant as well so you would need to weed that possibility out of your results no?

Latest posts

Latest posts