What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Planning a new grow (tent, LED, scrog and hydro/aero)

frozen420

As I'm eagerly waiting for the current crop to mature, it's good to start drawing up plans of evolution. (For my current grow, see here.) I'd like to write down a few thoughts about what I'd like to do and then have you chew 'em up to something that's actually viable ;)

Absolute requirements are that it's going to be a 100x100 cm tent, ie. one square-metre of area. And LED-lit. Everything else is up for debate.

I'd like to go all out and start doing verticals and stuff, but since I'm very inexperienced, I'd like it not to be super complicated and mostly off-the-shelf.

Some time ago I ran into the General Hydroponics Rainforest 66. It's an aeroponic system and though it's a little hard to find solid information, it seems very capable to say the least. I really want one but now there's also a system named EcoGrower that seems to be exactly the same but it's a drip hydroponic. Any experiences with either of these systems? Also, which one would you have me get and why?

I've my eyes on a 432W COB-LED unit that translates to roughly 1000W of HPS power. I figure it should be enough? It's a very modern unit with optics to collect and focus the light from each chip.

The Rainforest/EcoGrower isn't that tall, so there's space to spare upwards. I think I'll have a scrog net anyway. For control etc. Though it would be nice to once grow them "unrestricted" :p

What do you think?

Cheers,

//frozen420

Kiloz

Always good to start planning way ahead! I'm following your 60x60 grow, good luck with that :)

The Rainforest from General Hydroponics (or is it Nutriculture?) is a fine system but to be honest i think its more suitable for cuttings. I've used it for rooting cuttings and growing medium sized plants till harvest.
When you get it right it works really well, like all hydroponics system.

A 400W LED will be enough. Do you have the name of the led? Or a link maybe. :)

You said you are an inexperienced grower. A SCROG grow is a really good idea, as long as you stick to one strain or strains with same characteristics.
If you stick to one strain, especially in the rainforest, you will find it much easier to control and I’m sure the end result will be a nice haul!

:tiphat:

frozen420

The Rainforest from General Hydroponics (or is it Nutriculture?) is a fine system but to be honest i think its more suitable for cuttings. I've used it for rooting cuttings and growing medium sized plants till harvest.
When you get it right it works really well, like all hydroponics system.

We were talking about the Airdomes in the other thread. Now that I now they exist, I think I'll go with AutoPots equipped with Airdomes. That way I can build on my little experience with coco and retain the ease and resistance to mess-ups of that medium. It'll probably also be stealthier since I'll be able to pick up the pump unit separately and choose the most silent one. Hopefully the yield won't be too far off, either.

//frozen420

uptosumpn

Veteran
Hey bro I too am gonna use those auto pots with the airdromes...not to many my growers up on these yet! I think they are wicked!! Gonna do a small set up first 2 pots in a 2x4 then move up to a 8 pot in a 4x8...def would live to see some pics when u get it up and running....

Granger2

Veteran
Frozen 420,
I think you're on the right track. Good choice on the coco for the reasons you stated. Can't advise on your watering system. Neither on the light unless you can post a link to it w/specs. Good luck. -granger

frozen420

Hey bro I too am gonna use those auto pots with the airdromes...not to many my growers up on these yet! I think they are wicked!! Gonna do a small set up first 2 pots in a 2x4 then move up to a 8 pot in a 4x8...def would live to see some pics when u get it up and running....

Make sure to check out my grow thread ;) In the beginning there's some pics of my current AutoPot setup (4 pots, no domes) and in the last pages I'm just getting ready for harvest as we speak.

//frozen420

Latest posts

Latest posts