What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Growth Yellows in my Hydro Hut?

G

Well, I bought mine off Craigslist... did they ask you for a receipt or anything? I can't believe these damn poles, hopefully they send me some new ones too. Of all the things to go wrong, w/ pH and the whole bit... pieces of metal. Unbelievable.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Sammet I total agree with you dude....something is causing it and I suspect maybe something some kind of smell is happening when the light is on or something.... whatever it it the plants are getting it and locking out sulfur... perhaps the vinyl or something that is off gasing something; this is pure speculation or something but I am going to find out what is going on...

StiflersMom said:
Well, I bought mine off Craigslist... did they ask you for a receipt or anything? I can't believe these damn poles, hopefully they send me some new ones too. Of all the things to go wrong, w/ pH and the whole bit... pieces of metal. Unbelievable.

thats probably why the dude sold it; wanted to flip it cause it was not working for him...... I hate when idiots do that crap.
It's been known around here for a bit, I did not believe it either, but when I seen more and more peeps, not just from this site.. but more peeps had it and they were all sulfur related; that is a rare issue...... so it mainly only occurs by something is locking it out so it has to be something chemical like sammet has said.

Sammet: we need to find out what systems people have so we can try to pinpoint it down and find out what optional stuff they got it with to find out what is causing the problem......

Skillbot and Stiflersmom, which hydrohuts and size do you guys have?

Last edited:

justagrower

MnS , FYI , this has absolutely nothing to do with Sulfur being deficient in the medium or locked out .

the plants are/were being slowly aspyxiated and thus unable to photosynthesis .

i respect your willingness to help growers with problems , but sometimes , no advise is better than bad advise :wink:

Last edited:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
I don't mean deficienct or not there; sulfur is being locked out through those poles or something else in the hut's that IS a sulfur problem weather it's from not enough or locked out; I am sure plants have plenty of sulfur but for what ever reason why it's being locked out the plant is still not being able to absorb the sulfur plain and simple. Deficienct is just a word I use a lot; it's mean several different ways rather than just ONE way word..... I word things different;y which can cause confusion and I am sorry you were not able to see things the way I explain them.

I am sure 100% there IS plenty of sulfur for the plant; but it's not being able to transfer it in the plant enough which is why it's showing the problem.

I do not give out bad advice; if I knew nothing of the matter I would tell and say sorry I don't know.

So please don't patronize me.

Last edited:

Grinchy

In my hut, which is 4x4, it looked nothing like the pictures available of a sulpher deficiency. The leaves died from the tip in. To get my poles replaced I scanned the reciept and sent an email with address and the scan to expediate the process. They sent it immediately, problem fixed - immediately. Check out my pictures if you want. I have heard also of people who thought they had bad poles but didn't. I would reccomend a comparison test with the same conditions in a different room to see if the hut is the problem. It only took me a few days to tell, once i actully believed it might be the problem. Oh and I have heard of 4x4 and 4x8 being affected, although I am not sure about the 4x8.

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Ya, that is weird; whatever the problem may be, which I am sure it's the poles; but whatever it is; something is being released from the poles, weather it's from lack of air flow or heat. The company is obvious aware of this issue; otherwise they would not replace the poles free of charge.

You think a company is going to give out free stuff if it wasnt there fault? Don't think so....

So that's cool they are giving it out to fix the problem; whatever the problem is.

Hey grinchy what were those poles made from galvanized steel?

G

So like I said I emailed International Grower's Supply, and am anxiously awaiting a response, hopefully with no fuss about replacing the poles. To keep the integrity of the Hut, I took down the right side of the Hut and soaked those in pretty much 75% bleach. They dried and I will put it back together and do the other side today. I already moved my plants to a nearby closet, but I wonder if the vapor will affect them as well. Hopefully I see improvements in the plants, and then when I put them back in there are no problems. That's a best case scenario...

Thanks for all your help, Stitch, I would never have been able to diagnose a problem like this in a million years... I mean a greenhouse company that has infected poles? I could not make that up if you paid me.

If they do not replace the poles because I do not have a receipt, I'm just going to have to claim I will be giving them horrid references in the future. Honestly, up to this point, all I did was praise the Huts to others, but I have no problem disregarding that claim.

BTW I have a 4x2 and an 8x4 and the 8x4 is the only one I have seen problems in. But I just set up my smaller one yesterday, so we shall see...

Kr@kEn

I find it hard to believe the metal poles in my hydrohut are going to cause growth problems. How many different things are you guys going to blame before you get the bottom of your grow problems?

Sounds like the blame game to me. Or the same people are talking the same old smack about Hydrohuts because they supposedly 'stole' somebody else's idea.

Don't fall for this blame game bullshit. If you are having problems in a Hydrohut, getting a Homebox or any other brand is not going to fix your problem.

More than likely issues are related to lack of air intake or people are not using a fan inside the hut to cool the top of their canopy. The plants need air movement on the tops of the plants or you will have these described problems.

Last edited:

Kr@kEn

Grinchy said:
In my hut, which is 4x4, it looked nothing like the pictures available of a sulpher deficiency. The leaves died from the tip in. To get my poles replaced I scanned the reciept and sent an email with address and the scan to expediate the process. They sent it immediately, problem fixed - immediately. Check out my pictures if you want. I have heard also of people who thought they had bad poles but didn't. I would reccomend a comparison test with the same conditions in a different room to see if the hut is the problem. It only took me a few days to tell, once i actully believed it might be the problem. Oh and I have heard of 4x4 and 4x8 being affected, although I am not sure about the 4x8.

Your plants look torched and underwatered. I have been growing in a hydrohut for well over a year and have had no such problems.

G

Ya thanks for your brilliant insight bro, read the entire thread. We've tried everything else, it's a known problem that is acknowledged by the company as well as many local shops, and you have not dealt with it first hand. Guy I talked to today said the entire Bay Area got a bad bunch, and he recommended the bleach solution. Glad yours is doing just fine. I did not see anybody mention they would sell their's and buy a HomeBox, screw those things. Read the rest of the thread and look at the random yellowing of new growth, not the above picture of some immature seedlings.

tricknology

I also have the same problem... im going to treat it as iron deficiency and see what happens... i dont have the reciept for the hut... so i hope i can get the poles... will let you know

G

I sent them an email, hopefully they get back to me tomorrow (business day). I wouldn't recommend treating it for iron, cause I can almost promise you it's the hut. I already tried a couple doses of Cal-Mag+.

MedResearcher

Veteran
Interesting, and at the same time very shity. I feel bad for all the people who had to suffer through this.

These hydro companies today, well at least the majority of them stereotypically speaking seem to really have very little concern about there products and clients, they are only after the bottom line.

I recenlty purchased a sick top of the line system, everything brand new, brand new electrical, 100 amp circuit box, 50 amp timer box, 3x gro pro dual 600 ballasts, new hoods, new bulbs etc.... All of a sudden the lamps arent firing right, and 2 hoods would randomly turn off, and 1 lamp would be bright and the other dim. To make a long story short, it drove me crazy I troubleshooted everything for 3 months straight, asked tons of people and everyone had a different solution. End of story turns out the gro pro dual 600 ballasts were made incorectly, some were recalled, but alot werent and still are being sold. I got sun systems to take back the dual 600s, put in normal single 600 balasts and problem solved instantly.

Point of my story is, alot of these companies are preying on us, over charging and selling us crap that doesnt even work or was never really bench tested.

:rant:

HairyTunaTaco

Hey everybody, Im another victim of this off gassing/ bad room syndrome problem. Ive been growing for the past 5 years in a number of different home made grow rooms, using various types of media (although usually coco), and different growing techniques and ive never had many problems, untill 3 months ago when I bought a grow tent.
After putting my first lot of clones in the tent, they took on the exact signs & symptoms which have been shown on this thread and on the Growers Cure forum (link page 2 of this thread). This yellowing of the leaves starts within 4 days of being put into the tent and continues until death.
I tried absolutetly everything I could think of over the past 3 months to try and figure out what the problem was, this included throwing out my old nutrient and buying new canna coco nutrients, buying new canna coco coir, trying compressed coir, trying rockwool flock (not with coco nutes of course), trying soil, trying different EC levels, trying different pH levels, trying different light levels, buying a RO water filter, I tried growing with seed, I tried 3 different strains, I tried different watering patterns/ amounts, I tried foliar feeding with superthrive + weak nute solution, and my ventilation is very adequate and exausted from the room with oscilating fan blowing gently onto my plants. Also my temps were perfect.
Most of the above tests were conducted side by side, with labeled pots. In every single test the plants had the same problem, except for a few very subtle differences between strains.
My clones which are grown in another room in a cabinet and are completely healthy.
After finding this thread and others a little over a week ago, I was skeptical, but thought Id try it anyway because I was running out of ideas. I disassembled my grow tent and kept my plants in the same room, under exactly the same conditions except for the tent. Over the last week the plants which were partially yellowed from the tent have started to recover and grow new, green growth, + new clones which have been put in there are doing well.
I tend to think the problem (at least in my case) is not the poles, but the walls of the tent. This is because my tent is not a hydrohut, but a grow tent, a similar imitation of a hydrohut. The poles in my tent are the white coated ones but I think it is likely that this company used the same material for the walls.

lovebushes

I have been having a similar problem but I cant understand what it is abhout the tent that does this. I am sure that it isnt PH, ventilation, water quality or PPM. Any ideas?

lovebushes

My bad-didnt read all the way through. Poles make sense. have had exact same problem and have been stumped for some time. will try bleach and try to get new ones because this has been a nightmare, killing my babies ruthlessly. THANKS SO MUCH TO WHOEVER POSTED THE POLE SOLUTION.

G

^^^ Amen to that. I just finished reassembling after soaking in bleach. Just so stupid cause now I have to watch first to see if they get green again in the other room, and then if they do, test it back in the Hut. Takes a few weeks off my cycle.

G

Great news, IGS contacted me back, and said they would send new poles for both my 8x4 model and my 4x2 model, no questions asked. Great customer service... hope it works!

lovebushes

Update-IGS contacted me the next day and are shipping the new poles out ASAP. There must be something to this for them to respond and send the new ones so quickly. Either way, great service, it just sucks that it took me 3 screwed cycles to find out but better late then never. THANKS AGAIN TO WHOEVER POSTED THE SOLUTION-LIFESAVER(literally)