What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I no longer believe Broad Mites cause DUDDING

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Problem with Broad Cyclamen mites, is that until one knows exactly what to look for, by the time one determines the cause to be BM's it's too late for the plant by that time. In VEG is when ya really gotta be vigilant.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol not at all. I do remember. I have never used the stuff. I still don't use it.. I use CHITIN!!!.. It's in many things like crab shell. I have never had a dud maybe this is why. You do not need to use Chitosan that's just a fact. you might think you do. I bet if you where to try Chitin you will get the same results. I will just agree to disagree with you. I gave you enough material to read to prove my point. Oops I forgot I also use Insect Frass witch also has Chitin in it. Anyway I have said all I need to. I leave it up to ea grower to decide what they want to use. Do your own research. I'm sure everyone will find the answers they seek.

Peace
HH

iTarzan

I prefer to order it from somebody who already went to the trouble of getting it from China Storm Shadow. It is easy being brave in a legal state or minimum penalty state. We wouldn't hear a peep out of you if you were in my state.

I buy a whole beef and cut and freeze it while you are buying large amounts of Chitosan from China and buying your hamburger and steaks at the supermarket. I wonder who saves more money?

You aren't a superstar Storm Shadow. In fact I don't think you cured anything. All your latest grows are recent seed finds. You don't have one heirloom elite clone because they all died or you never had any.

Chitosan alone doesn't win the battle. It takes several things to even have a chance. Two of which you never even talked about.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Actually....

Im chopping down GG#4, Fire OG, Kosher, Lemon Cookies, Tahoe, Kandy Kush, Super Lemon Haze, Blue Dream, Cherry Pie, Jack Herer, Headband, Berkeley OG.. you think my seed grows are all Im doing... Are those Elite enough for u ?

Those are just for fun ...

They all look super dank and no DUDs...

I figured out how to fix a problem that people had no clue what was going on...actually PF mocked me by trying to clown on me about Phytoplasmas ...

Its all good... Im $tacking right now...

I'll show you my pics in a few days Tarzan... your right its not just Chitosan... the 2 other things you need to save your ass are not mentioned... and I'll keep them to myself...

I've been there and done that...

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Pics 1 & 2 are Berkley OG

Pics 3 &4 are GG#4

Pic 5 is Kandy Kush

These were clones purchased from a Popular SoCal Vendor whose nickname should be DUD McDuDly

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

waveguide

Veteran
interjecting in this thread, haven't kept up with it..

had a couple plants that were going really crap (in a micro.. not your kinda bizness..)

i couldn't see why... didn't notice any insect activity, been using mentha arvensis and gnatrol after controlling gnats.. had neglected to use neem..

not only did i neglect the neem, i had not done a close inspection. sure enough, my "dud" plants (i thought they were just too hot..) did have insects, but i would never have spotted them...

as you surely know, leafhoppers are extremely good at hiding.

they are also vectors for disease - i've never seen plants "grow shit" before without being eaten to death/fried... so.... since it's still summer and still warm, check for those little fucks...

"did you know...?" i read... "there are more species of leaf hoppers than there are mammals, birds and reptiles on earth... they go through seven! nymph stages...

and i swear... i had green ones black ones brown ones ones with green flashes on the side curly ones ugly ones with round bumps all over their ass i must have had one of each kind it looked like a fucking nike shoe store in there. i have 2 square ft of floor space and only occasionally saw an adult sitting out of the cab (figured they didn't like the mentha and i could alway scatch and remove). must have been about eighty i shook off one tiny tree in a 4' wide pot...

i couldn't even see any spotting or leaf damage.. just the lower leaves dying off a bit fast..

iTarzan

I will except Fire OG as an heirloom elite. All the others are new breed, new seed finds.

You didn't cure anything though.

BUSTED storm shadow superstar.

Storm Shadow

Veteran
Are u upset I don't answer any of your pms on how to cure your whack ass DUD problem.. it must be... you've blown me up because your lazy and won't do any reading. ..

Waveguide beware the leafhoppers .. they can infect cannabis with asters yellow aka phytoplasma

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I dont always return PMs. Some times I just dont have time. Or the guy is just a jerk and I would rather not talk to him. Really it is my choice who I want to and dont want to talk to. There is no requirement that says you must return PMs, if there was I would drop my account.

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
I try and return Pms whenever possible not to come off like an asshole + I like helping people really depends on what it is ...what I was asking would have taken 30 seconds but it wasn't hard to figure out what I was asking once I checked the landscape of his outdoor pictures. I think I haven't returned 1 pm my whole time on canna forums and that was on another board a kid asking to buy seeds/clones when I don't sell my personal seeds. To each his own...

iTarzan

I ask you one question a month or so ago. Then I told you I figured it out. I am not upset about anything. In my research I found out that you are a fake. I was ignoring you. Then you popped in this thread with one of your typical condescending inaccurate posts. I responded. You sought me out. I had forgotten about you. Don't try to flip the sequence of events.

You didn't do what you said you did and you never had any old school elites that you saved from duds.

You are not a superstar Storm.

Cannavore

Veteran
MSDS says Chitosan is all made from Shellfish. Chitosan comes from Chitin(pronounced KY-TIN). . Unless the vendor lists what they put in extra I can only go on what is listed. If you can provide me with something to read that states Chitosan is not the same food grade is food grade, lab grade is lab grade yada yada. It's all made from shellfish. what I have read Chitin or Chitosan will do the same at controlling Nematodes. I do not use Chitosan I use chitin. Here are a few papers on the use of Chitin for the use of controlling Nematodes.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r280200111.html

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/crab-shell-control-nematodes-80417.html

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2FBF02378855#page-1

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2629878/

chitin breaks down into chitosan by way of the plant detecting the chitin and releasing chitinase to make chitosan.

using chitosan or chitosan oligo is like a more potent readily available version, which is also more pricey. the chitosan oligo is some sort of further broken down version of chitosan but with a special molecular chain or something like that.

i'll stick with chitin and neem meal in my soil. diatomaceous earth on the top layer and in foliar.... insect frass is pricey imo and i havent heard too much about it.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Just relaying what I read here, posting it because it claims a difference between insect and shellfish chitin. I use neem crab and insect frass

http://www.onfrass.com/faq.html

Q: What is Chitin?

A: Chitin is a naturally occurring molecule (Poly-N-acetyl-D-glucosamine). Structurally, it is related to cellulose, which consists of long chains of glucose molecules linked to each other. Chitin is present in the shells of all crustaceans and insects, and in certain other organisms including many fungi, algae, and yeast.

Q: What makes insect Chitin better than crustacean Chitin?

A: In simple terms, insect chitin is the form used by plants in nature. Crustacean chitin is trapped in the calcified shell. In order to get the chitin from inside the calcified shell, it must be boiled in potassium hydroxide (certainly not organic). On the other hand, the chitin in insect frass is broken down by the plant naturally, by the chitinase enzyme produced by the plants own immune-response-system. That’s organic!

Q: What does Chitin do for plants?

A: Chitin triggers a plant’s immune-response-system causing the plant to defend itself from pests and pathogens. Chitin is a natural biopesticide, and is known to kill root-feeding nematodes and their eggs, and fungal pathogens in the root zone. When plants sense Chitin in the vicinity, they think they are being eaten by insects, so the plant protects itself by strengthening its cell walls, produces more chute biomass (stalk and leaf material) and excretes secondary metabolites to ward off pests and pathogens.

Q: What is Chitosan?

A: Chitosan is the plant available form of Chitin, and it is created when the plant’s immune-response-system excretes a natural enzyme called Chitinase, which breaks down Chitin into Chitosan, which is a plant growth enhancer and a substance that boosts the ability of plants to defend themselves against fungal diseases such as downy and powdery mildew, botrytis (gray mold), and early and late blight when applied foliarly (and in our experience it also kills fungus gnats, mites, white flies, etc. Just about any pest that eats plants).

Q: What if I just want the benefits of chitin and not use Insect Frass as a base organic nutrient?

A: Use less. Up to 1 tablespoon per gallon for foliar or root drench.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Actually....

Im chopping down GG#4, Fire OG, Kosher, Lemon Cookies, Tahoe, Kandy Kush, Super Lemon Haze, Blue Dream, Cherry Pie, Jack Herer, Headband, Berkeley OG.. you think my seed grows are all Im doing... Are those Elite enough for u ?

Those are just for fun ...

They all look super dank and no DUDs...

I figured out how to fix a problem that people had no clue what was going on...actually PF mocked me by trying to clown on me about Phytoplasmas ...

Its all good... Im $tacking right now...

I'll show you my pics in a few days Tarzan... your right its not just Chitosan... the 2 other things you need to save your ass are not mentioned... and I'll keep them to myself...

I've been there and done that...

Now your just being an ass clown.. Not surprised you would not want to help anyone else with your super secret method. I don't remember ever mocking you about Phytoplasma or anything else. I haven't spoken to you in at least a year. if I did say something I'm sure I had good reason at that time... If you cant handle someone disagreeing with the use of Chitosan or anything else you do you have issues other than the garden kind. Leave me the fuk out of your drama.

Great post [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@Weird[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] and @Cannavore ;).

I use Crab Shell with Insect frass compost teas.
[/FONT]

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
chitin breaks down into chitosan by way of the plant detecting the chitin and releasing chitinase to make chitosan.

using chitosan or chitosan oligo is like a more potent readily available version, which is also more pricey. the chitosan oligo is some sort of further broken down version of chitosan but with a special molecular chain or something like that.

i'll stick with chitin and neem meal in my soil. diatomaceous earth on the top layer and in foliar.... insect frass is pricey imo and i havent heard too much about it.

Some plant diseases can reduce/limit a plants capacity to perform certain functions. This might limit a sick plants capacity to manufacturing and releasing chitinase.

I do not know if this is the specific case, but it could be a differentiating factor between successful applications.

I personally like natural and sustainable (and potentially self reliant) solutions, but the natural components seem to require activation or refinement to work in a reactive nature, while their normal use is when used proactively.

These types of solutions (scientifically refined) SOMETIMES, seem to have better reactive properties (because of refinement)

I think we should be prudent about what we disregard as being a affable solution, not because proactive and natural aren't a better fit for some people (or even superior if factors like sustainability matter), but bottom line chitosan seems like a great alternative to commercial fungicides.

Because it activates the plants defense systems is might have the capacity to be used outdoors around teh base of bigger plant, making it a good alternative for many types of growers

food for thought

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
the thing specifically about chitosan is, its instant solubility in water of a completely purely bioavailable form of this substance. you know exactly whats available when. hoping the crab meal is breaking down and wondering if its available at that moment you notice an influx of pest or disease isnt going to be as an assured bet as adding this extremely instant and completely bioavailable form of chitin.

that said, all of wierds and pf's considerations are valid. if you can achieve this in a more natural down to earth organic and sustainable way, then its more valuable for those reason alone. especially if it appeals to your cultural, philosophical, spiritual, financial, or for the aesthetics of your style. toss your scraps from your crab dinner in your holes and if it works, that kicks ass. theres links above in pfs post that speak to the logistical reality of providing these compounds naturally.

no need for bashing anyone. i am stoked to hear what works for people. if they have found a way to access and efficiently unlock this powerful response in plants through other more natural inputs, thats extrememly exciting.

chitosan isnt unnatural or toxic, it is however a big industrial process. we all know the world is often the victim of these chemically efficient means of mass production of compounds.

this is a great thread thanks everyone for sharing info. i hope everyone is doing this without the threat of duds looming or another damaging pathogen.
if so, i feel your pain. luckily its long distant memory for me but i wish you all the luck in the world.
:tiphat:

whatthe215

Veteran
sorry to hear people are still struggling with this. :(

all i can say is cleaning helps. bleach bleach bleach and don't miss any corners.

hope all is well old friends. str8 and storm deserve massive respect for keeping the advice rolling for such a long time.

xxxstr8edgexxx

Veteran
massive respect for taking the time to actually video document the sighting of d. ditylenchus in an actual dudded plant at 400(?)x. that was a really major turn in the community awareness of this. it also seemed to be the point at which ss and you started reporting the cures worked. its funny, a lot of the people who had time to stay and right about it were the people who never saw it. they didnt notice that all the people who starting following you and ss advice were too busy getting back to their growing careers and were too trouble free to bother with the dudd thread anymore.

Latest posts

Latest posts