What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Broad Mite and Spider Mite IPM for Cannabis (lets get a convo going)

Status
Not open for further replies.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$EDITED$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$EDITED$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$EDITED$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$EDITED$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

THIS OP HAS CONTRIBUTIONS FROM MANY MEMBERS OF ICMAG

Hello. I am new here but not new to cannabis or growing. In fact I have a sizable operation. I want to spread my knowledge on Spider Mite and Broad Mite control and IPM. Once you experience a real problem with either of these pests it can really ruin your life lol. There is so much info. out there that I read and hear that turns out to be false. My hope is to give you all the knowledge I have gained and also create an open dialogue about these two devastating pests.

What I know about these pests that PPL overlook. These lil fuckers crawl around so tanglefoot is prob a good idea. Broad mites take females with them to new foliage and fuck their brains out which is how they spread rapidly. Broad mites lay way more eggs than spider mites so early control is essential. They don't like water!!! Everything else Im sure there are a million threads with accurate info.

A sound IPM has MANY practices, rather than just spraying which I am guilty of. These othere things are:

• Cultural control (using the right pruning, fertilizing or watering regime, or selecting pest-resistant varieties or species)
  • Physical control (for example, using mulches to keep weeds from growing, or solarization for soilborne pathogens or weed seeds)
  • Mechanical control (hoeing weeds, spraying leaves forcefully with water to remove insects, or using traps or creating barriers to exclude pests)
  • Biological control (using beneficial organisms such as insects that eat or parasitize other insects)
  • Replant (in extreme cases, where a plant requires regular pesticide treatment, consider replanting with a more pest-resistant species or variety)

But when these dont work you must spray. So I want to share what I know about spraying and have others contribute so we spray safely, effectively, and do not develop RESISTANT PESTS!!!

What I know about pesticides in general. First all pesticides need to reside in water at a proper PH level which is 5.5-6.5. Alkalinity will decrease the residual longevity. There are many types of pesticides that claim to work on mites. Not all pesticides however control Broad mites. There is no organic control for broad mites other than creating a hostile environment and predatory mites. Let me put that out there right now!! Do your research and let me know what you find anything different. There are many organic controls for spider mites. Most common are Horticultural oils (including Neem Oil), and Pyrethium. Now forget about Neem Oil as a end all because that is not even what it is. It is actually considered an Adjuvant. An adjuvant is an additive you combine with an effective pesticide to increase effectiveness. Adjuvents can be many things like spreaders, emulsifiers, wetting agents etc. We can talk about each one as necessary. Just remember Neem Oil is not a pesticide. Think of it more as a sticker that helps stick the pesticide to the leaf tissue. Cocowet is a spreader. It decreases the surface tension of the leaf so it spreads out on the leaf and doesn't bead off. It is also an emulsifier which is required for combining oil and water!! Ive learned through experience that cocowet does not work as well as an emulsifier as it does a wetting agent. Pure biodegradable Dawn dish soap has been the best emulsifier for me.

Thats a lot just for Neem Oil huh, but I bet it strikes a lot of chords in your brain about things. With that being said if you want to stick with an organic IPM you need to rely on Horticultural Oils combined with an effective Organic EPA registered pesticide like Azamax and Predatory Mites. Certain Pyrethums and Sulfur treatments are acceptable but not really effective to me. Feel free to add any additional "Organic" controls. I know there are many special concoctions you can make with peppermint oils etc. but lets get real these mites nowadays are mutants.

Now lets talk about the stuff that people don't want to talk about. The bad ones like Avid, Pylon, Forbid, Tetrasan, Floramite etc. All by the way are NON SYSTEMIC. They either have a translaminant action or plain residual. All of these by the way are all acceptable for indoor tomato gardens and citrus. Obviously that is because you can wash these varieties or peel them right? So if you do not spray at all in flower is it ok? That is the question we shall explore. Many folks logic is that when you just spray the leaves by the time you harvest all the chemical will be gone, plus when you trim the cannabis, you are essentially "peeling" or washing away the residual if any. Im just bringing it up as an entry point for discussion because I truly want to lean on Organic methods but sometimes Organic will not work. So for the sake of this thread we are going to talk like these pesticides are ok for cannabis also. Later in the topic we can discuss the knowledge we have on the reality of using these pesticides.

Organic and all Natural Sprays *check for 100% Organic

*Neem Sprays
*Pyrethum
*Sulfer products

***BEWARE OF PRODUCTS LIKE "NUKE EM" and "BIG TIME EXTERMINATOR" *** They are organic and all natural but have been known to mees up many folks plants. Plus the directions are confusing

xxxstr8edgexxx ORGANIC FORMULA

i mix in one tank.
medium dose of pyganic
medium dose azadactin (neem extract)
medium dose of spinosad
a little mint dr. bronners.
spray every plant all over every 3rd day 4 times.
this is done on the cusp of harvest so that the 4th treatment happens in the flowering room on day of flip

Predatory Mites!!! I think the coolest thing are these time release bags check the link.

http://www.koppert.com/news-biologi...rst-slow-release-bag-amblyseius-californicus/

Also Syngenta (makers of Avid) has a Bioline of predatory mites. Check it out!!
http://www3.syngenta.com/global/bio...st.aspx?q1=Broad/Cyclamen+mite&q5=Productline

I fell like the best type of predatory mite is the Amblyseius swirskii or swirskii's The eat both spider and broad mites, plus thirps!!!

Let me break the Chemical Pesticides up in to two categories Broad Mites and Spider Mites and detail what I have learned about each. All these pesticides are compatible with each other in the same tank, but I have not combined all in one before.

Broad Mites (whatever works on broad mites works on spider mites)

Avid EC-
http://www.syngentaprofessionalproducts.com/pdf/labels/SCP896AL6A0904.pdf

Repeat as necessary no wait. be careful about reisitance so rotate. Contact Killer Residual 7 days. Does not affect eggs The EC in Avid means Emulsifiable Concentrate. You need an Emulsifier. Which makes sense because according to UC Davis IPM program for Citrus, the first thing you should do to your crops is spray with Avid and a narrow based oil(horticultural oil, neem) which requires an emulsifier to mix the oil and water.

Forbid-
http://www.guysinpurple.com/documents/label_forbid.pdf

All stages but works on juveniles best. Used in early threshold levels. Best used before damaging popopulation begins. Knockdown and residual. Not for use in greenhouses? Do not use more than 3 times a cycle and nvr twice in a row!! Residual 21 days. Allow plenty of time to dry before exposing to light. Special mixing instructions when combing Avid which is a killer combo. Forbid works on early stages and Avid kills adults Boom!! So you need to fill the tank haldf way with water, add Forbid, agitate and add more water, add Avid, top off and add Emulsifier (soap).

Pylon-
http://www.ohp.com/Labels_MSDS/PDF/pylon_20_label.pdf

Knockdown and stomach action. Mites cannot create energy to live. Nonovicidal. Should be used with ovicidal miticide if many eggs present (forbid). Apply 5-days after first application very important to do this since the way the chemical spreads on the tissue!!!. Nonsystemic does not translocate. Do not use any adjuvant will cause foliar damage. WARNING I have personally seen foliar damage with this product!!! I personally am reluctant to mix with other pesticides. Residual 21 days

Spider Mites

Floramite-
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld5ge007.pdf

Contact killer and residual. wont kill predatory mites. needs upper and lower leaf coverage since non systemic. Fill tank half way add then add rest of water to disperse product. Needs to be a Ph 5.5-6.5. 28 days residual. Do not use adujavent with tomotoes? Not effective against broad mites!!!

Tetrasan-
http://www.valent.com/Data/Labels/2011-TET-0001 TetraSan 5 WDG - form 1453-E.pdf
http://www.valent.com/Data/Labels/0200rev2.pdf

Egg and nymphs, Translaminar. No more than 2 times in 6 months for Moms. Use at first sight since it only works on eggs and nymphs. Adults wont lay fertile eggs For rapid control mix with Adult contact control product (Avid). Do not use sufficant if growing indoor tomatoes it says? dnt use within one day of harvest. for tomatoes.

With all that being said I have developed a Cannabis IPM program for Broad Mites and Spider Mites. Keep in mind this is assuming that when used correctly, the "trimming" action after harvest is essentially like washing or peeling fruit. None of these products are Systemic. However I have no knowledge of the half life of any of the chemicals but have other gardeners submit lab results providing acceptable residual levels and all passed.

This IPM takes in to account all the knowledge I learned regarding reproduction times, mixing pesticides, residual times, which stage of development the products target, resistance management and any other special instructions. Feel free to make any additions or where you see holes.

The first part is the INFESTED Veg Room IPM the second is the NON INFESTED Veg and Flowering rooms, and I am currently developing a full prevention method for Mothers.

INFESTED VEG (broken into 28 days)

Day 1- Forbid x Avid dip clones transplant
Day2- Clean
Day 3-
Day 4- Pylon (treatment 1)
Day 5- Clean
Day 6- !!!!Avid Wears Off!!!
Day 7- Tetrasan x Avid
Day 8- Clean
Day 9- Pylon (treatment 2)
Day 10- Clean
Day 11- Hostile Environment (Heat 120 degree F)
Day 12- !!!Avid Wears Off!!
Day 13- Check Effectiveness of Treatments!!
Day 14- Introduce Predatory Mites
Day 15- Clean
Day 16- Hostile Environment (Humidity)
Day 17-
Day 18- ((possible chemical treatment depending on inspection))
Day 19- Azamax x Neem
Day 20- Clean
Day 21- !!!Forbid Wears Off!!!
Day 22-
Day 23-
Day 24- Pyrethum Bomb
Day 25- !!!Pylon Wears Off!!!
Day 26- Clean
Day 27-
Day 28- !!!Tetrasan Wears Off!!!

Clean VEG and Flower

Predatory Mite Time Release Bags (4-6 weeks)
Inspection
Cleaning
Oils and Azamax

I truly feel this is the best plan of attack for these lil bastards if you have a problem. If you don not have a problem I suggest Organic measures. IF these products can be used in only Veg, is the end product still safe? No residuals come up from SC labs testing processes. What do you think? Feel free to add any other REAL FACTS about these products half life, residual, personal experience etc.

Here are some additional resources I have come across

Spray School
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/training/

Residual Chart and Dosage Cheat Sheet
http://rosemania.com/SprayReferenceOct2013_final.pdf

dance013.gif
dance013.gif
dance013.gif
dance013.gif
dance013.gif

Last edited:
All that talk about IPM and not one mention of biological controls? Just pesticides?

I actually mentioned biological controls a few times. I started out before I even talked about "pesticides" by touching on Organic methods. And Also my whole flower IPM program is pretty much biological controls only. Maybe you missed that or maybe I dont know what biological controls are? Also in the Veg IPM there are days where "Hostile Environment " techniques are implemented and not to mention cleaning. Feel free to share your knowledge on biolgical controls rather than just coming in with a lil hatred

All that talk about IPM and not one mention of biological controls? Just pesticides?

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]There is no organic control for broad mites other than creating a hostile environment and predatory mites."

"
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]With that being said if you want to stick with an organic IPM you need to rely on Horticultural Oils combined with an effective Organic EPA registered pesticide like Azamax and Predatory Mites.

"
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Flower

Inspection
Cleaning
Oils and Azamax"
[/FONT]

"There is no organic control for broad mites other than creating a hostile environment and predatory mites."

"
With that being said if you want to stick with an organic IPM you need to rely on Horticultural Oils combined with an effective Organic EPA registered pesticide like Azamax and Predatory Mites.

"Flower

Inspection
Cleaning
Oils and Azamax"

Bob Rx

Nuke Em by flying skull will eradicate broad and russet mites. It is food grade, OMRI certified and is so effective there are delays getting it right now because of the problem in Cali with these toxic sucks. I am a distributor in WA State but mostly work with commercial size grows. If you would like more info or are having trouble getting it feel free to contact me at nwfieldconsulting@gmail.com. I can help you find it or get it to you.

Few bullet points....
Everything in Nuke Em can be found in bread.
It works by physically causing cracks in the exoskeleton of the mite thus killing it...resistance is not an issue like any systemic products.
If it touches a mite the mite is dead...3 applications and the eggs dry up and turn a heart-warming orange.
These applications can be successive after the Nuke Em is dried thus you can avoid 3-5 day projects.
This is eradication...not control.
Never, ever, ever use an oil based product on your plants... period. This is old technology in horticulture. (I know, your friend who's been growing for 20 years says it's great to use oil... like I said...old tech!)
Works out to about $1.40 per gallon if you buy the gallon concentrate and dilute to regular strength. Broad and russett mites,root aphids....use double strength.
Will not harm bees, ladybugs, etc... spray it on a mite...dry... and scope it. A friend of mine said he pee'd a little when he saw no live mites after 1 application (not that I wish this for you but it makes the point).
Plants usually start using nutrients at their normal rate within 12-24 hours. Ask someone who's tested the nutrient use rate of their plants with other products and they'll confirm up to 4-6 days of inhibited uptake while the plants adjust.

Azamaz, avid, Floramite, tetrasan, pylon etc are all toxic. Nuke em is food grade...no masks to wear while spraying, no residual benzene rings in your bud, no having to lie about what you used. (Please, save your responses about the labeling on your product saying... "safe to use until harvest". It doesn't mean it is not in your bud... they are just saying it's "safe"... until it isn't. Remember DDT.

Craig
nwfieldconsulting@gmail.com

Again, I supply consulting clients and associates in commercial ops primarily. If your grow shop has it get through them please. If you can't find it I will help you find it or get it to you. I am a retired pharmacist and if I can help you stop using things that are toxic to your plants, you or both it makes me happy.

Former Guest

well, I'm up for a real discussion about the use of avid and other pesticides that are deemed bad. Abamectin comes from the soil bacterium Streptomyces avermitilis which if I remember reading correctly produces chitan that the mites consume and then die. which is like beauveria bassiana bacteria except it attaches to the bacteria and produces the chitan inside it? it's all a bunch of tough reads on .edu sites or scholarly articles so it is above my head a bit which is why I want to know what is so bad about it? I read that it effects the kidneys and liver in long term use in rats but the toxicity rate of rats is also much different than other mammals listed so I'm curious how that all works.

Former Guest

How can I get my hands on some?

nuke em is a great product for spider mites but the jury is still out on broad mites. I used it on my plants for PM as well and it does work well. broad mite applications are very intense and it fries them literally. crispy even overnight. kind of why I'm going to try abamectin :)

they have a website you can find retailers at and almost all hydrostores should have it or can get it for you.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I actually mentioned biological controls a few times. I started out before I even talked about "pesticides" by touching on Organic methods. And Also my whole flower IPM program is pretty much biological controls only. Maybe you missed that or maybe I dont know what biological controls are?

I did miss the bit about predatory mites in flower, sorry. I was mainly focused on your outlined veg section that suggests mainly pesticides and heavy water sprays. Why not use the predators in veg as well? There's no reason to limit their use to only flower just like you shouldn't rely solely on pesticides in veg, the combination is more effective than either alone.

There's economical and practical reasons for that, namely resistance. It will also help cut down on how much you have to spray as well which will keep that bottle of Forbid or Avid around a little longer. That said, I don't think spraying Avid or Forbid multiple times in veg is a sound strategy long term. Maybe once as a nuclear option of sorts to address a large infestation but not something to use routinely as preventative maintenance, IMHO.

The Avid label itself suggests not to use more than 3 times in a growing season or on successive generations. Given your veg time frames, you're potentially doing both of those things by over-applying and applying to repeat generations. Not to mention, if you need to spray Avid 2-3x times in veg every veg cycle you have a bigger problem, such as a constant source of spider or broad mites, that needs addressing instead of putting a band-aid on it by repeatedly spraying pesticides.

Five major components are common to all IPM programs:
  • Pest identification
  • Monitoring and assessing pest numbers and damage
  • Guidelines for when management action is needed
  • Preventing pest problems
  • Using a combination of biological, cultural, physical/mechanical and chemical management tools. (From UC Davis, http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/GENERAL/whatisipm.html)

Former Guest

isn't that broad mite thread over 500-800 pages of arguing?? when I see a thread that long I don't read the whole thing; I skim it and try to find my answer. most of it is arguing and not any real discussion for the most part like this thread is turning out for example. kinda blows because when you find out you have them, you don't have time to sit down and read that whole thing and resort to google.

also, if i went by the info on those threads, i would be drenching my soil with waaaay too much product and the product wouldn't leave the plant in time for harvest. i think it's called a half life?? either way, you're not supposed to be applying that much in most cases when i read the directions on the product label and when i called them, they said not to do that because there would be too much application and when you're talking about toxicity levels, that is something that should be on ICMAG with correct info. i mean it comes with directions...

i would agree though that these chem's aren't supposed to be used as a preventative maintenance at all. they're for when you can't lose your crop for various reasons. using organic methods is a better option for preventative but i think the OP was putting that up there as a program to kill the broad mites and there is a confusion on the what to call it because the .edu sites like Davis call it integrated pest management plans as well.

I did miss the bit about predatory mites in flower, sorry. I was mainly focused on your outlined veg section that suggests mainly pesticides and heavy water sprays. Why not use the predators in veg as well? There's no reason to limit their use to only flower just like you shouldn't rely solely on pesticides in veg, the combination is more effective than either alone.

There's economical and practical reasons for that, namely resistance. It will also help cut down on how much you have to spray as well which will keep that bottle of Forbid or Avid around a little longer. That said, I don't think spraying Avid or Forbid multiple times in veg sounds is a sound strategy long term. Maybe once as a nuclear option of sorts to address a large infestation but not something to use routinely as preventative maintenance, IMHO.

The Avid label itself suggests not to use more than 3 times in a growing season or on successive generations. Given your veg time frames, you're potentially doing both of those things by over-applying and applying to repeat generations. Not to mention, if you need to spray Avid 2-3x times in veg every veg cycle you have a bigger problem, such as a constant source of spider or broad mites, that needs addressing instead of putting a band-aid on it by repeatedly spraying pesticides.

Five major components are common to all IPM programs:
  • Pest identification
  • Monitoring and assessing pest numbers and damage
  • Guidelines for when management action is needed
  • Preventing pest problems
  • Using a combination of biological, cultural, physical/mechanical and chemical management tools. (From UC Davis, http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/GENERAL/whatisipm.html)

Just trying to get a decent convo going abt the correct ways to deal with these pests, applying products etc. i know tht it sounds crazy using only chemical pesticides but maybe Inshould have only suggested tht id you have a problem. See thing is "indoor" crops have a shorter life and are often in tight spaces with many crops going at once, so I think it is difficult not to rely on only biological controls. Especially since biological controls are aided by being outdoors where there is a lot more biological control than we realize. I wld only use my Veg IPM i circumstances where i have an infestation amd mutliple crops going in one single space. Also the rotation of the products will not have sucessive generarions being treates with same product so im not sire where your math is on tht. I appreciaye your feedback like i said i want a convo going and want to explore other tatics so we can all develop a sound IPM

Just bought an All Natural spider mite and broad mite contact killer. Works on all stages of life including eggs.

Big Time Exterminator by Big Tim Hydroponics. They also make my favorite brand of Enzyme.

check em out- http://bigtimezyme.com/html/bigtimeexterminator.html

from the website...

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Is Big Time Exterminator effective against broad mites and russet mites?[/FONT]

clearpixel.gif
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Yes - Big Time Exterminator will destroy broad and russet mites. Note that broad/russet mites have a 15-21 day life-cycle depending on specific species, vector by means of other pests such as the White Fly, love to hide underneath edges of buckets and trays, even under thick stems and also have the ability to burrow under soil to hide. The following application regimens are recommended: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Light Infestation/Daily Application[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif] - Apply Big Time Exterminator at rate of 5-20 ml per gallon, 1x daily for seven straight days. Then cut back to 1x per day 3-4 days a week for one week, then apply as needed.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Heavy Infestation/Every Other Day Application - [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Apply Big Time Exterminator at rate of 20-80 ml per gallon, 2-3x daily, every other day for one week, then 1x daily every day for a week, then apply as needed.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts