What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AQUAPONICS,,, Any One? Heres Mine.

P

postal trout

Very interesting.. Will be checking back for updates. In the mean time I will catch you up with my experience. I have done a little work raising trout. Mainly building the cedar case for the 5 ft tank for my partner. I was able to view the tank prior to th spawning of the trout. 7 trout didnt make it. But he did a good job zoning in a reasonable living arrangement. I wasnt their for the release of the trout. Not sure if they were native er not. :dance013:

The shrimp method seems interesting. 20 ft of tank is mighty crampy just for some shrimp.

How exactly does the waste collect and prevent contaminationn?

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
The shrimp thing is going to have to wait.
I will be building a swirl filter to settle the fish poop
out of the water, so it doesn't get into the roots of the plants in
The constant flow RDWC beds.
If you get the fish poop in the roots it can clog the very finest roots, and in hibit there ability to transfer oxygen, and macro nutrients, thus eventually rotting them.

Schools crazy ATM, so not making much progress. I have one Ebb N Flow bed going, so far, and planted 5 jalapeno's,% tomatoes, 5 lettuces, 1 lemon basil, and a bag seed that popped, as well as a Mountainberry X Hashiva.

I have parts to build a smaller system to put the Mj in to in a closet.
The main system needs to be shown to Folks, and I am not in a legal state.

Its chugging along good, what little I have gotten done so far.
When I have some more time, I intend to stay on top of this thread better.
Schools over in 3 Mos. By than My first peppers,and tomatoes will be in.
Things should take off when, im done STRESSING over school.

Postal Trout, I hope this has helped, and stop on by any time.

Peace; 1TT

audiohi

Veteran
I can't wait to see your progress!

I heard two funny things lately from a very experienced aquaponics engineer.

1. How do you make a small fortune with aquaponics? Start with a large fortune!

2. The easiest way to go broke is to raise shrimp.

The second isn't so funny I guess... I just thought of you when he said it!

Prawn is very possible to raise though. Not easy to make money with apparently. I wish you continued success!

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I can't wait to see your progress!

I heard two funny things lately from a very experienced aquaponics engineer.

1. How do you make a small fortune with aquaponics? Start with a large fortune!

2. The easiest way to go broke is to raise shrimp.

The second isn't so funny I guess... I just thought of you when he said it!

Prawn is very possible to raise though. Not easy to make money with apparently. I wish you continued success!

Yup, Gregg Upstrom from Aquaculture of Texas called Me back, and Gave Me the quick and dirty facts.
He could have been called arrogant by some,,, But He's a very busy Man, and has been successful at the shrimp game for 20yrs, and IS
THE ONLY person in the U.S. that does this year round.
He told Me if I do it it EXACTLY the way He does it I can succeed, if I vary ONE THING,,, I WILL FAIL.

I says to Him I guess You have made ALL those mistakes through the years,, Huh?

He tells Me Nope,, just got it right the first time, and through the years, he has helped a thousand, or so folks start up a shrimp farm, and ALL who are succeeding ATM, are doing as He taught them. EVERY one that changed ANYTHING, have failed.

I for one, appreciated the call, and the REAL facts.
He said raising them for the restraunt trade, is not profitable for several reasons.

Just gonna settle out the poo, and put it into the worm bed, or make Tea.

Peace;1TT

s13sr20det

admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.
Veteran
aquaponics!

ive wanted to build something for a few years now, and after dling a few murray hallam videos i am even more antsy!

i hate talapia. so i would probably use catfish, although the koi idea earlier is pretty brilliant!!

cant wait to get mine up and running.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Sorry to neglect the thread Folks, but I am fighting with the For profit college that I am attending ATM, and broke as hell so things aren't progressing at all I have learned a few things though, and by the time winter hits here in Iowa. I will have things in the personal life figured out, and back to work. then I will be able to spend the little money that it is going to take to get it rolling again.

Thanks for the interest in this thread, and aquaponics in general. I truly believe this is something ANYONE, ANYWHERE can do to change how we eat, and in turn how we LIVE.

As soon as I make ANY progress,, I WILL get this thing fired back up.

Peace & LOVE; 1TT

great brozini

Sweet thread twisted. I've had a few buds try the aqua thing with other crops. I always thought the nutrient demands for cannabis were too high to pull down a solid crop without a rather large aqua system, so I will be watching with interest whenever ya get things up and rolling ;)

Kozmo

Veteran
We have a lot in common. I know Will and his operation personally. So you can guess where I'm from. Not much time but there is one thing that I would like to put in. Get rid of your bottle of Prime! Get a natural filter(canister,bio wheel).

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Thx 4 stopping in Kozmo. Yup from the land of Beer n Cheese.

Just waiting for the snow to go away, then I will be bldg. My outside garden.
I would love to find time to get up to Milwaukee to volunteer, and meet Will.

Peace; 1TT

Kozmo

Veteran
Don't waste your time with Will. Nothing against him but there are a bunch of other awesome urban grow non-profits that always need a hand. We are an advanced city as far as moving grass and growing food.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Well that is good to know.
Kozomo once You get 50 posts, we can PM.

I have some Q's for Ya bout that, but like Ya said,,, don't wanna badmouth Will.
I appreciate that.
I have a vision of bldg. aquaponics systems in the inner city community gardens.
I came up poor, and have a place in My heart that needs to give back.

Peace; 1TT

Kozmo

Veteran
I know some great people. I planted 40 fruit and nut trees in my neighborhood last year by getting my community together. It was great.
Can I make a grow journal before I get 50 threads?

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Super into aquaponics, I have two big jacuzzi tubs I want to use as FT. I also have a bunch of 8" aero tubes that I have been saving to do something. Keep it up, Im subbed!

Chewbacca420

Subbed

awesome topic, I heard Breeder Steve over at spice of life seeds has(or at least had in the 90's) a awesome aquaponics warehouse.

supermanlives

Veteran
during og days I did aquaponic setup one of my greenhouse.. even had frogs... used hornpout ,small catfish that I netted as babies in local lake where stream ran in ... worked great ... I used rafts of foam for the plants... wish I still had the pics.. was cool to go out mid winter and listen to frogs croak and mate when its snowing outside.... was heated ,lit so frogs didn't know any better

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
I am back to work now, so I will be buying the IBC totes I plan to use as fish tanks 2, and 55gal. drums for beds,,, well lots of stuff to get this thing running once Spring decides to spring. I will be running channel catfish in one tote, and either tilapia, or lake perch in the other.
As soon as there is anything to show, I will share.

Hey Souperman, did You grow Mj, or just veggies in your setup?

Thx 4 the interest, and feel free to share.

Peace; 1TT

Kozmo

Veteran
Checking in

Checking in

I am back to work now, so I will be buying the IBC totes I plan to use as fish tanks 2, and 55gal. drums for beds,,, well lots of stuff to get this thing running once Spring decides to spring. I will be running channel catfish in one tote, and either tilapia, or lake perch in the other.
As soon as there is anything to show, I will share.

Hey Souperman, did You grow Mj, or just veggies in your setup?

Thx 4 the interest, and feel free to share.

Peace; 1TT

What's up Twisted?!!
Checking in Nd seeing what you've been up to.

1TWISTEDTRUCKER

Veteran
Plenty of snapping turtles round here to eat, with lotsa meat.
It would take a lot of them turtles in pet stores to make a meal.

Peace; 1TT

N

NorCalDreaming

Been doing research for a friend who's setting up a 60' x 60' greenhouse in NorCal. Tilapia not approved for where I live yet you can get them into the state if small enough and they can't identify them. People do it. Was gonna go with Blues. Easiest thing though is trout, I can get them free from the hatchery, yet would need to keep the water under 60F. We'll probably end up with koi, mainly due to the temp range they can handle, yet I want to grow something I can eat :biggrin:. I've heard shrimp work good for cleaning the bottoms of tanks and you need a separator from the fish and from themselves as they will eat each other when they molt. I was thinking of adding some only for that function and not production value. Bluegills are still an option and maybe catfish.

Latest posts

Latest posts