What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Joe's Fresh Guide to Sick Plant Diagnosis

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
to be honest it looks alot ike an iron def, but its a little different, might be an iron def....hows the ph?

i really really doubt its tmv or another mosaic virus, as im sure thats what you were thinking

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
ya well although it doesnt look like the anormal iron def because it doesnt start at the base of the leaves, it still looks more like iron def thn anything else i can think of...although i must say ive never seen a lef exactly like this, but to me i would have to go with iron

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i would say it's environmental based on the location of the damages. whats on that side of the plant? is it closer to the light on that side? did you foliar spray recently? deficiencies don't usually stick to one side of a plant.

Shootie

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks so much for taking the time to put all of the info and pictures together. I have referenced this thread more than once. Thanks again.

Not Mosaic

Not Mosaic

If it was Mosaic you would have leaf bend . You would see some leafs bend to one side and the other side look like it was eaten away. You have some form of nute deff. My guess would be Potash though rare it could be and you can't really get to much K. It could be a Micro nute as suggested in prior post. I would try a complete nute with extra K. And maybe some epsom salt foliar.

kabel

Hi,
Does anyone have an idea what this might be? I've seen this problem for a couple of times and still got troubles to identify it. Thought about Ca def, but it doesn't only occur in the younger tissue. Generally its first appearence is in the fan leaves.
pH should be fine (between 6.0-6.5)
Thank you in advance.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
looks like maybe a calcium and phosphorous def to me.....

......but when ppl say things like "ph should be fine" usually means they arent checking and just assume that its ok...

kabel

ok, it was probably a bit vague, however, pH is checked regularly (6.48). As the problem does not start in the distal margins of the leaves, but emerges from the proximal vascular bundle, I'm not sure about Ca def.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well from what i can see thats what it looks like to me is P and ca def....but it could also be some sort of blight or disease, cant say ive had any experience in that area but have seen some pics that look similar though of other species of plants

S

SeaMaiden

I don't think Ca-, yet..... ?

I do think that once you're able to get the reddened petiole thing straightened out then you'll either be better able to figure out what else is happening, or alleviate the issue entirely. It helps point toward an issue with phosphorous uptake or utilization, though.

Both whole leaf and whole plant photos can help.

Yes I have an -identical problem. Dark purple petioles and same rust-brown stuff on fans. My stems are green though so its not under fed. Is it phosphorus?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

dalilguy

these kids where at about 25 days
coco dtw ph5.8 maxi 7g gal. dripclean
ec 2.2.

she is pale compared to the rows behind her. as they get closer to the light they are much lighter compared to back rows.
IMG_2212.JPG

IMG_2214.JPG

IMG_2217.JPG

stem is carrying this purple. the ones much greener have it a bit also

IMG_2215.JPG

this will be in the last row, furthest from the direct lighting. much greener color

IMG_2221.JPG

with canna i didnt come across this problem, feeding around the same ec. i would top out at 2.4. they are about 10inches below a 1k. my run-off matches my input.

what you guys think?

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i would lower ec....i feed once every 2-3 waterings at 1.6-1.9 ec...and my plants are all over 5 feet tall...

but i would also say your buckets look very small and may be creating root bound...

medicalmj

Veteran
Great examples!

However, if one is using quality nutes and is testing daily with quality EC/PH meter, and is still having these issues then I'd say something is causing the lock out. All to often the sales person at the grow shop will just sell you more $$ crap to throw at it. This happened to me and at the end of the day I discovered my plants would thrive at 1/2 the suggest PPM/EC and with only base nutes. I used GH DUO A & B and nothing else and plants looked awesome! But if fungus gnats, root aphids, or other pests are eating roots you'll be chasing a phatom nute problem and the grow store $$ in. Also, root rot is often caused by these pests as they are vectors for plant pathogens, which further complicates.

Check for pests and rot first if you are feeding with quality nute and you are keeping nutes simple (not too many diff boosters and such).