What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HID Bhut Jolokia growlog ...

OZZ_

Veteran
What up everyone.... Ive just started an indoor bhut grow.

Equipment:

DR120 Tent 48"x48"x78"
easy cool 6 aircooled hood
6" 424 cfm no-name inline fan
Fan controller
400w HPS magnetic ballast/ generic bulb
600w HPS digital ballast/ agromax enhanced spectrum bulb
3 gallon containers

The seeds were placed in dixie cups on 9/7 and sprouted a few days later. 12 seeds total, with all 12 sprouting. The 9 best were selected for transplanting with the other three being trashed. They were sprouted under a normal wally world 4' shoplight. After they had a few leafsets I watered with a rabbit poo/compost/alfalfa tea, then on next watering alaska fish emulsion.

Tonight they were transplanted into 5"x5"x6" pots and placed in the tent. Right now I have the 400w HPS mounted into the aircooled hood. The plants are just getting used to HID so the extra lumens arent needed as much and I figure it will save a little on the electric bill. Once the seedlings are about 8"-12" tall Ill transplant into the 3 gallon containers and swap out the 400w magnetic HPS for the 600w Digi HPS.

I have two bins of soil. The first consists of 30 gallons of 50% recycled soil/ 50% fine pine bark ammended with 10 cups tomato tone, 25 tablespoons lime, 1 gallon of mushroom compost and 1 gallon of rabbit poo. This has been cooking for a few months now. The mix in the 5"x5" pots I just transplanted the seedlings into consists of 25% recycled soil/pine bark/amendment mixture and 75% straight promix BX.

Once the seedlings are ready to be transplanted into the 3 gallon containers I will up the ratio to 50% recycled soil/pine bark mixture and 50% promix.

The hood is pretty far from the seedlings at this time, about 20" .. in the next few days Ill lower the hood little by little and let them grow into it until they are ready to transplant into the 3 gallon pots, at which time Ill then swap out the 400HPS for the 600HPS as mentioned above. I realize pine bark soaks up some nitrogen, but I didnt want to scrap 30 gallons of soil so I added the gallon of rabbit poo and what I consider to be a good amount of tomato tone. The mixture is pretty hot I think and that is the main reason Im cutting it with the promix so heavily. Also to offset any acidic action the pine bark may have.

Heres the pics Ill update this thread as the grow goes on!

Oh .... and did I mention hot peppers ROCK and the bhuts are bomb baby! :jump::jump::dance013:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BHUT (1 of 3).jpg
    BHUT (1 of 3).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 12
  • BHUT (2 of 3).jpg
    BHUT (2 of 3).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 12
  • BHUT (3 of 3).jpg
    BHUT (3 of 3).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 14

ICETOKER

Sharing Is Caring!
Veteran
Oh baby..... this one is going to be good!!!! Your head will expode when they are done.

I love hot peppers too!!! I just made some home made hot sauce from bhut jolokia, red savina and fatali..... damn it´s good!!

good grow karma

icetoker

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks for stopping by ICE. I love bhuts, Ive been harvesting some off my outdoor plants and still have some on the plants that are green ... Im hoping they start to ripen soon before it gets too cold but Im not holding my breath on it.

The plants are looking good as of this morning hour after lights on, perking right up and reaching for the stars. As you can see in my close up pick, there's one or two that have a little leaf curl but Im assuming that will straighten itself out now that they are in soil with some ferts.

L

lalandia

This i want to follow...im waiting for my bhut jolokai seeds from a friend. I will grow mine outdoor next season, but i really have to see how this will turn out.

Good luck

OZZ_

Veteran
Right on lalandia.... these particular seeds came from an individual online. I have some seeds from NMSU too, as well as TWO single seeds from a Guy that has an incredibly high yielding pheno ... I had already dropped these though and they seem to do pretty well so I'm expecting a good grow. Ill have to save the others for another time.

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks for the support S13 and mean mustard.

I have some peach hab plants too (outside), as well as some chocolate habs, thai's, and volcano peppers.

Something about the super hots are .... well - just hot. lol.

Im shooting for 100 -150 bhut pods off this grow. Once I get done with it Im going to run a trinidad scorpion run, then a chocolate hab run, then a 7 pot run. All with 9 plants in this setup. Ill be posting grow logs to them all.

Ive been growing outdoors and overwintering the plants but they always bring in aphids and whiteflies and all kinds of crap. Its a pain in the a$$ to be honest. I decided to run this tent indefinately, indoors for my peppers. The haul off each load, especially the bhuts will be enough to last a long time so even at 4-5 months per run (in this case) it still will make sense.

BTW Ive seen a lot of people state that bhuts are hard to germinate, and take 150 days for mature fruit, etc, etc. In my experience with seeds from this same pack... all my seeds sprouted within 3-4 days @ 100% germ rate. I got my first pepper formed (unripe) at around 60 days.

What Ive found with hot chillis is that becoming rootbound is the trigger to set fruit. You can take two clones side by side one in a 1 gallon and one in a 3 gallon container, the plant in the one gallon container will start setting fruit as soon as it fills up the pot ... whereas the plant in the 3 gallon will continue vegitative growth for a good month or even two before setting fruit. Of course at that point you get larger fruit and tons more of them out of the 3 gallon plant ... but its interesting to note.

MJ needs a 12/12. Peppers just need to fill their pot (assuming everything else is correct fertz, soil, water, temps, light, etc).

Ive even had a bhut plant in a one gallon pot set two pods really quickly before I was ready to transplant, then when I transplanted the plant kept those two pods but tripled in size not producing a single flower, only to flower productively after filling the root space weeks later.

Im not sure Ive ever read about that either, so it may be contradictory to what other people say Im not sure. I can tell you its like clockwork though with my peppers (all different strains too) - as soon as the rootspace is filled ... they start flowering.

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome aboard GreenToe.

Anyone else notice this with their chillis??

Bhut

attachment.php

Bannana

attachment.php

Peach habanero (just starting to ripen)

attachment.php

Wait .... whaaaat ...... those arent chilli's :joint:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2122.jpg
    IMG_2122.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2121.jpg
    IMG_2121.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2123.jpg
    IMG_2123.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2124.jpg
    IMG_2124.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 13
  • BBX (1 of 12).jpg
    BBX (1 of 12).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 14

ICETOKER

Sharing Is Caring!
Veteran
Great thread this is!!!

cool about the rootbound thing and flowering...that´s been my feeling this summer with my chillies!!!

Just had an omelet with heaps of "kiss my bhut" hot sauce..... yummy.... i love how the heat isn´t just in the mouth but the whole body becomes "hot" .......... i love the bhut!!!!!

Lala: great to hear that you are a chilly lover!!!!! Are you going to grow the bhut´s under hid?

icetoker

L

lalandia

Lala: great to hear that you are a chilly lover!!!!! Are you going to grow the bhut´s under hid?

Unfortunatly i dont have the space for it right now, so ill have to wait and grow it outdoor..But im growing basilicum with my canna, and it seems to keep the trips away. I read someplace that capsaicin will keep mites away from my canna, so its worth the try i think...I have some Golden habanero i could try in my indoor setup.

Grow in peace

OZZ_

Veteran
A few days after transplant and the HID and they are looking happy. Im living in an apartment for the moment and found out tomorrow and the next day they are doing inspections. Even though these are just peppers, and I dont have anything illegal here... Im still going to tear down the light and the ductwork venting out the window. Im going to mount a 4' flourecent fixture in the tent for the two days until the inspection is over.

I dont want to push the possibility of them raising a fuss over a HID and the venting. "Fire hazard", and having an unathorized "fixture" are a couple of BS reasons I could see them coming up with.

So the plants are just going to have to make due with the flourescent tube for two days. At that time Ill probably just through the 600 in there... since i have to take it all apart anyway.

Their happy as of now though :dance013::dance013:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BJ (1 of 4).jpg
    BJ (1 of 4).jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 13
  • plants 420 001
    plants 420 001
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
  • BJ (3 of 4).jpg
    BJ (3 of 4).jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 11
  • BJ (4 of 4).jpg
    BJ (4 of 4).jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 15
L

lalandia

Hey Ozz..i just want to ask u how many hours of light ur giving these bhut's??

Grow in peace

OZZ_

Veteran
Sure thing...i have them on 12/12......and the inspection was this morning with no problems so ill be putting them under the 600 tonight!!

So they had to sit under the florescent since this morning is all. ;)

OZZ_

Veteran
Coming along nicely.

The 600 is doing them well.

:dance013::dance013::dance013:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BJGROW (1 of 2).jpg
    BJGROW (1 of 2).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 13
  • BJGROW (2 of 2).jpg