What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis strains for insomnia?

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Pink Kush should knock you right out. Marijuana felt like that magic cure that I needed to help with my insomnia. I find that it has really helped stop my brain from constantly running while I'm trying to fall asleep. I went through 420 evaluation. A couple things to keep in mind are if it is legal where you live, the amount of time you have to use it before going to bed and potential issues for long-term use. I`m currently trying cbd oil in vape form.
I really like Kushes for insomnia (the hashplant types) not so much the hybrids. The 88 g13/hp is another variety I've heard that is good for sleep, would love to try it. The fact that people should have to suffer because their government doesn't want them to have relief is disgusting and should not be tolerated.

TheSg

Tuna kush is my favorite for insomnia relief.
Pink kush is good too
Og kush, not so good for insomnia.
And no pure Sativa will ever be good for insomnia.
Just say no to sativa if youre trying to sleep.

Ive stayed awake all night more than once pretending to be dreaming while day dreaming at night while high on sativa.
Hahaha
I say this while I just woke up at 2 am from my insomnia.
Wish I had some Tuna Kush.
But that strain is getting rarer to find

Im'One

For me Island sweet skunk did the trick. Indicas were great but many caused me to have cotton mouth so bad I woke up thirsty, drank water, woke up to piss, drank more water and so on. Also some didn't have a long legged high and would not keep my pain at Bay all night. I found ISS killed the pain but didn't kick my mind in gear or give me dry mouth. It lasts most of the night. I typically wake up about 4 am after going down at 10 pm

JustSumTomatoes

For me Island sweet skunk did the trick. Indicas were great but many caused me to have cotton mouth so bad I woke up thirsty, drank water, woke up to piss, drank more water and so on. Also some didn't have a long legged high and would not keep my pain at Bay all night. I found ISS killed the pain but didn't kick my mind in gear or give me dry mouth. It lasts most of the night. I typically wake up about 4 am after going down at 10 pm
I've heard Sweet Skunk can be a bit racy, but I'm sure there are several different lines out there, not to mention different phenos. You happen to know who the breeder was?

ambertrichome

Veteran
Dominion Seed Company
Granny Skunk
Sis Skunk

Lucky Dog Seed Company
Hunza Valley

Swami Organic Seeds
1984 NL5 clone only x Nevils 1988 LTD Release NL5/Haze Bx
Blue Orca Haze

Im'One

I've heard Sweet Skunk can be a bit racy, but I'm sure there are several different lines out there, not to mention different phenos. You happen to know who the breeder was?

I got it from the dispensary but then grew it myself and had two phenos, one was more indica dom and was better for sleep but the other worked also. The Indica Dom kept the pain at Bay longer. I got my seeds from Next generation. Both times I got from dispensary the smoke was similar to my own. I grew Sensi skunk from sensi seeds was similar in smell and effect.

JustSumTomatoes

I got it from the dispensary but then grew it myself and had two phenos, one was more indica dom and was better for sleep but the other worked also. The Indica Dom kept the pain at Bay longer. I got my seeds from Next generation. Both times I got from dispensary the smoke was similar to my own. I grew Sensi skunk from sensi seeds was similar in smell and effect.
Thanks for the info man. I was curious if whether or not it was Peak's Sweet Skunk... I've been growing their Northern lights for a few years and found some of the plants to be great bedtime medicine. I'm always on the lookout for a good insomnia buster.

THC123

Veteran
Manitoba Medicine is a good one for insomnia, grows like guerilla gold with the same early harvest date, a bit less resistant to mold, but reall good heavy sleep medicine!

White og from Karma is also a good one as it is pretty hardy and early and real nice to relax, watch tv and fall asleep.

I am a Medical patient because of insomnia and always looking for them good sleep plants.

I was growing the Skywalker OG a long time and she was great and gave me a "good" sleep for months and months, from all this new new I find the Kush Mints very helpfull and basically any strain crossed with Kush Mints.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
im going to try hso bubba kush clone with 25% ambers
she is still in veg. hope it helps.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
For those who've skipped most of the thread... (which happens and I've done it myself. lol)

Almost ANY strain works for insomnia when the THC has been converted to CBN. Take any strain with decent THC levels, and put the flowers under an infra-red lamp for 3 days. The trichs will all go amber and a couple hits will knock you out in 10 minutes. :)

hellfire

Nice info there DC. Might have to pick up an IR lamp.

I've used indicas and afghans in the past for insomnia. I've found the katsu bubba to work as well. The thing is sometimes when you want sleep you'll just end up awake and high with some indy leaning hybrids I've tried.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
For those who've skipped most of the thread... (which happens and I've done it myself. lol)

Almost ANY strain works for insomnia when the THC has been converted to CBN. Take any strain with decent THC levels, and put the flowers under an infra-red lamp for 3 days. The trichs will all go amber and a couple hits will knock you out in 10 minutes. :)

Iv got lots of question Douglas.
What are the steps? Thca-thc->cbna->CBN? Is there a CBNA?

What happens if you do that with a cbd only cultivar?
Or a low THC high CBD cultivar?

What does CBD degrade to?

And how does it happen (cbda->cbd->?)

I just read a paper about orally ingested CBD can actually be converted to THCA+THC by acids in our gastrointestinal fluids.
Explains some of the reasons CBD only patients may fail a drug test for THC. (If the test can differentiate between the two)

I've also heard that some first time cbd users sometimes experience a "glow". Might not be a glow, just a very low quality buzz.

clearheaded

i don't have much exp with indicas but when i let s.a.d. ('98 black domina) go for like 11-12 weeks it didn't become any more sleepy/stoney.
sleepy couchlock effect comes from myrcene. the higher the myrcene content the stonier s strain is. honestly i doubt letting indicas go longer produce more myrcene. i am more inclined to think that it just let some thc to decompose, so the thc:terpenes ration shift little bit in favour of terpenes. the highest myrcene content i've seen has "gemstone" strain. it used to be sold at "mint leaf" dispencary. it has around 4% of myrcene with 0,8% pinene as a second spike, also one the highest terpene content overall, thc around 14%, so thc : terpene ratio is whopping 3:1, the majority of strains are more like 10 : 1.

mmm I would say it has to do with CBN and other minor cannibinoids u can take extra myrcene to test ur hypothesis. also "dryer" heads ie void of moisture and less terps vape hotter and faster. hmm anyway, its not one or the other like we try and do but several things going on which lead to overall generalities folks experience.

interesting one fellow found amnesia good for sleep ;) high thc really knocks him out..

JustSumTomatoes

I took a few ounces of year-old buds (Orange Grove) with plenty of degraded THC in them, and slow simmered them in olive oil for close to 12 hours. The result was a very dark oil that had a strong sedative quality. Made me very sleepy, yet didn't make me sleep well like the more full spectrum of cannabinoids did. I don't have the lab data or research to support my guessing, but I would make a bet that more CBN does not exactly equal a good sleep strain. I suspect though, that it is an important part of a more complex equation.

On a side note, I can honestly see this whole CBN thing taking off just like the CBD bandwagon has. Lots of people have sleep disorders and I'm surprised the ol' snake oil salesman on the corner hasn't caught on with their surplus hemp scraps they try to pass as medicine while being sold at a gas station.

Im'One

I find I have to rotate strains and occasionally use another aid for a few days to return my tolerance levels.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran

I think I might give this a shot with some of my pure sativa Honduras Breeze. I'm curious to see how qualitatively the high will be affected. I'll report back after completion. Anyone have a suggestion for a cheap infrared lamp?

Im'One

Got some from fireleaf and from buddies. Then grew my own fems from next generation. Gonna cross with taskenti hash plant for even more indica weight and body relaxing

JustSumTomatoes

I find I have to rotate strains and occasionally use another aid for a few days to return my tolerance levels.
Tolerance can bit a of a thing for me, some varieties more than others. What really does it is when I keep increasing the amount day by day until am at triple what I started with.

Taskenti seems like a wonderful hashplant variety, I'm sure it will make some great crosses.

Latest posts

Latest posts