What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thrips 101: Introduction to Western Flower Thrips

anyone use this as a soil drench to clear thrip colonization of the root zone?

I just picked some monterey insect spray and was wondering if anyone expects any ill effecs by doing a soil drench @ the rate they recommend for foliar spraying.

many thanks
stb

K

kokua

STB...what I always did was just spray the top of the soil thoroughly...not to drench the entire rootball, just the top inch or two. After 3 applications of foliar to the plant and the top of the soil, your area should be completely void of thrips. The first application gets the majority of them...the follow up sprays are backup. :)

Its good to hear that your thrip nightmare is over STB!! :rasta:

Fat Albert

"The oral LD50 for rats and mice is >5000 mg/kg."

Safe enough for me! Does anybody know about Spinosad's ability to continually kill thrips, generation after generation? In other words, have there been any reports of Spinosad-resistant thrips? Because Avid used to be the final solution for spider mites, and after 20 years of every commercial gardener using the stuff, a whole host of Avid-resistant mites have come about....

Great post, Kokua/Sunnyside!

Cheers!
Fat A :wave:

Thanks for the tips Kokua, I apprecaite it!
Ive been doing a similar application method in the past with neem/sesame oil on the top inch or so of medium, but looking forward to seeing the thrips gone for good with the spinosad!

coolx

My friend's in day 20 of flower and he just found 2 thrips in a 10' x 10' garden. Yeh, just 2 - I'm sure he missed a few more here and there. No spotting or anything yet. Should he do anything?

Last grow there were tons of fungus gnats he tolerated, this time he's using mosquito dunks and he sees just one or 2 gnats a day, so they're well under control.

Seeing as thrips larvae live in the soil too and are killed by the bacillus thuriengensis as well as the gnats, is the thrips under control? Will the population explode soon? How about using 10,000 ppm CO2, will that kill them? And does floramite work on them? I'm not sure if it's too late in flower to use it. He has that, but not the spinosad.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Another control is to use blue sticky cards, with thrip pheromones. They also help show when your problem is beginning.

-SamS

is spinosad safe to spray during flower? I sprayed once before the flowering was in full force, but they've come back and now i fear that it is too late to spray.

if it's too late for me to spray, should i just try using some ladybugs and nematodes?

pHrail

For Spider Mites I used a Hot Shot No PEST STRIP, and it worked wonders, I'm having some THrip problems has anyone used a No Pest Strip to eliminate these little bastards? I sprayed some BANG on the plants yesterday and am going to treat them with that, but these ****ers are tearing my plants up. About to throw in a No Pest Strip or 2

pHrail said:
For Spider Mites I used a Hot Shot No PEST STRIP, and it worked wonders, I'm having some THrip problems has anyone used a No Pest Strip to eliminate these little bastards? I sprayed some BANG on the plants yesterday and am going to treat them with that, but these ****ers are tearing my plants up. About to throw in a No Pest Strip or 2
I had thripes twice and they suck ass! I tried all sorts of things. Some of the sprays killed most but not all. So I tried hot shots and bye, bye thripes.

mapleboy

pHrail said:
NOPE..I've NEVER had mites ..NOTHING... till now!! In the last 6 mo I had mites up the kazoo..the strips WHIPED em overnight...NOW I HAVE THRIPES!! And NO the strips DONT seem to work. I had them out of the room...but in the area. NOW I've gone from mites to thripes!!! !@#$ it... Anyone ever use this stuff?? SINCE I bought it..been TRYING to find a place to use it lol the strips took out the mites...NOW thripes...what's next??? :bashhead:

mb

Last edited:

mapleboy

GOT SOME...man that stuff's NOT easy to find in a small town!!! Stuff goes a LONG way..HAD to get a quart of it :D ON the plus side..sprayed on the 11th again today...BEFORE spraying this am I did an inspection..ZERO thrips seen... VERY NICE!!!
mb

Last edited:

burnt out og'er
Veteran
There has been a very interesting discovery in the field of botany regarding thrips.

Its been discovered that certain types of plants (cycads) produce odors which are attractive to thrips, and that the plants control the odors in a way which causes the thrips to carry their pollen to the oposite sex. Described as a "push-pull' effect, the male plants make an odor which is highly attractive to the thrips, so the thrips pick up pollen, then these same male plants change their odor and temperature so that the thrips leave and seek out the then more attractive female odor and temperature...thus carrying the pollen to the females.

Anyway...read more...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/s...em&ex=1192075200&en=4b89af0ac146821b&ei=5087
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=...=2007%5C10%5C08%5Cstory_8-10-2007_pg6_5&cid=0

Last edited:
I had thrip infestations for about 3yrs straight,I tried everything,and I mean everything,nothing worked,those little bastards kept coming and coming.

After reading this thread awhile back,I ordered some Monterey Garden Insect spray
with spinosad....Sprayed all the infected clones and sprayed the topsoil as well.
Gave the room A nice sterile cleaning,and put the plants back inside.

NO MORE THRIPS,THERE GONE,NOT ONE LEFT...AWESOME THREAD THANX,I ALMOST
GAVE UP.

blackone

Veteran
I haven't been able to source Spinosad in Denmark. I just had a bad thrips infection - spraying with pyrethrin did seem to kill them and I hope I'll be able to eradicate them after a second spray in a week or 2.

Latest posts

Latest posts