What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leaves and bug help!

So recently my leaves started to curl upwards a bit (canoe like) and have slight yellowing on the tips. I'm at the end of week 6 of flowering now. Thought it might be heat stress but I grow with 315 cmh's and keep my plants at least 14 inches away. My room is at 75 and my canopy sits around 80. Other then that the leaves and buds look healthy.
So one more thing that's been bugging me....
I had some thripes early in veg, so I sprayed some Jake's all in one , on them and added nematodes to the soil. Seemed to take care of it, I wasn't seeing any new leaf damage. So now beacause I noticed those leaves curling, I gave everything a good flush and checked runoff. Everything was between 600-900 ppm, so I didn't think that was to high. But now to my point...the runoff had these little white bugs moving and bouncing around a bit....looked too fast to be thripes I figured, and from what I understand you cant see nematodes with the naked eye. So what are these things? I don't see anything on any leaves, just in the soil and runoff and my plants look good and healthy.

First pic has the most curling with yellowing tips
Second pic leaves are curling a bit less but tips look a bit more burnt
Third pic seem to be curling the least with burnt yellow tips.
Forth pic is those pesky little bugs. Hard to get a good pic of them

Attachments

• 20181122_225345.jpg
    20181122_225345.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20181122_220138.jpg
    20181122_220138.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20181122_220007.jpg
    20181122_220007.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20181123_225920.jpg
    20181123_225920.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 19

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
So recently my leaves started to curl upwards a bit (canoe like) and have slight yellowing on the tips. I'm at the end of week 6 of flowering now. Thought it might be heat stress but I grow with 315 cmh's and keep my plants at least 14 inches away. My room is at 75 and my canopy sits around 80. Other then that the leaves and buds look healthy.
So one more thing that's been bugging me....
I had some thripes early in veg, so I sprayed some Jake's all in one , on them and added nematodes to the soil. Seemed to take care of it, I wasn't seeing any new leaf damage. So now beacause I noticed those leaves curling, I gave everything a good flush and checked runoff. Everything was between 600-900 ppm, so I didn't think that was to high. But now to my point...the runoff had these little white bugs moving and bouncing around a bit....looked too fast to be thripes I figured, and from what I understand you cant see nematodes with the naked eye. So what are these things? I don't see anything on any leaves, just in the soil and runoff and my plants look good and healthy.

First pic has the most curling with yellowing tips
Second pic leaves are curling a bit less but tips look a bit more burnt
Third pic seem to be curling the least with burnt yellow tips.
Forth pic is those pesky little bugs. Hard to get a good pic of them
The plants look great, and well into flowering.

Most likely just magnesium (for the green/chlorophyl and the calyxes which are little green rolled up leaves) and potasium (stacking, which requires branch and stem growth).

From mid-flowering onwards, the plant requires just a little more of:

- Potassium: branch development, including stacking buds; potassium is connected to strong and healthy crops
- Sulfur: terpene production; which helps with repelling insects too
- Silica: resin, as well as individual cells; silica also deters insects by making the cells tougher.

So these 3 nutrients are both connected to flower production, and very importantly, with plant health in late flowering.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
those sound like fungus gnat larva to me. let the pots get so dry that the plants are just about to hang their leaves, then water again. the dry spell will kick their asses.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
About the bugs:

"the runoff had these little white bugs moving and bouncing around a bit.."

Most likely those are springtails. They don't harm the plants. However they are an indication of some rotten organic material and fungi, which they feed on. Nothing serious.

I've never encountered these springtails before, so I'll start doing some research on them for sure., and look into the fungus gnat larvae aswell. I just bought a little digital microscope, but I'm having trouble getting it to work on the computer (I'm not too computer savvy). Hopefully I get that figured out today so I can get some close up pictures of these little burgers.
TanzanianMagic, I was just introduced to potassium silica, which I was gonna use with my next grow because I'm getting close to the end of this one. So hopefully that is what's happening and this potassium silica will help. So where do these springtails come from?

Latest posts

Latest posts