What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2016 Outdoor Garden of Eden

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoothillFarming

Hello everybody. Many know me from years past, and I hope to meet and know many more of my fellows growers over the period of this year. The legal climate is becoming more and more legit. Local ordinances in my area are becoming very reasonable. The growers I have been lucky enough to meet in person, have changed my life. It's a bright future for cannabis, if your willing to put everything you have into it.

Which brings me to this year. My overall goal this year is to grow the highest quality medicine, that medical patients can enjoy. Last season, I made the switch from the black market, to the legal medical market. I have always had a med card, and a collective, but most of my meds I would wager ended up on the street, instead of dispensaries. Now I refuse to allow even 1 gram on the street, and my goal is to work within the legal guidelines given out by the federal government, which has delegated to the states, which have now delegated to the local government. It's a new dawn.

I also grow mostly organic. I have used small amounts of sulfates during the soil amending/building process, but only on trace elements. My main cation and anions are from organic material, such as compost, kelp, feather, ext ext. I plan to register with the folks with Clean Green, let me know if anybody else out there has worked with them. I continue to also use Advancing Eco Agriculture's organic nutrients lines, with some other brands thrown in here and there like Pure Protein Dry. I also farm earth worms, so castings play a large roll in my nutrient applications as well.

I have also been working with a consultant this year, leadsled. So far, his help has been invaluable. We created this years soil with local compost/peat/(lava/perlite/rice hulls) I will post some soil results later in the thread. However, so far, knock on wood, it's some of the best soil I have ever tested.

Lets start out with my favorite part of the year shall we? Dirt Mixolgy baby! Who else mixes their own soil from scratch? I was tired of dealing with crappy soil mixes for extreme amounts of money. I have been working with coot's soil mix, this being my 3rd season. The soil mix I made with Lead, has started to test much better than coot's soil. Coot's cost about 360 a yard, I have been able to make mine for about 125$ a yard. So as a result, my yard looks like this ATM.

picture.php

Trying to fill more of these: My full season plants are in 200gal smart pots, all the way up to 1000 gallon smart pots. My beds are 5 yards each.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

FoothillFarming

This year I will be growing mostly Bodhi, but I also have some Swamp boys, DNA, Brothers Grimm and other breeders who's names shall not be named.

I will double check, but off the top of my head:

Bodhi: Super Silver Hash Plant, Super Silver Appalachia, 88 cherries, Dream Beaver, Ancient og, Sky Lotus, Snow Wookie, Alaskan Snow, Appellation Thunder F_u_, Sunshine Day Dream, BlueBerry Hash plant

DNA: Tangie, Sour Banana Sherbet

Breeders who must not be named: Killer Queen Redux, Sour Queen.

Swamp Boys: Helen Back

Brothers Grimm: c99

Here are some plant pics:
Some starts
picture.php

My keeper pheno of Alaskan Snow in my light dep greenhouse. In a 45 gallon smart pot.
picture.php

Ancient Og Start
picture.php

Mostly 88' cherries dep, couple Tangie's.
picture.php

Last edited:

FoothillFarming

Here are the numbers from the latest test Lead has helped me with: :woohoo: If your looking for a consultant, consider Leadsled.
picture.php

Well I'm off to a social gathering. Hope this finds everybody well, and may we all be blessed with a fantastic season.:tiphat:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
You are off to a very promising start, Foothill, with those very healthy looking plants. I'll be looking over the fence at your grow from time to time during the season. All the best with this year's campaign.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Ha ha the fence that separates time zones. Who knows, my random ramblings may take me to your neck of the woods some day, so I may yet show up to grab a brewski, and toke up on some connoisseur quality weed, if my luck holds up.

Nice pictures, by the way, with the early springtime lighting.

FoothillFarming

great start, subbed, welcome to the outdoor ICMAG norcal club :)
Thanks, good to me a member again. I think my first outdoor grow documented on this site was 2007.

hi
what is the purpose of the net please ?
The netting is support. That bed is only 4ft wide. If I don't put that net up, the plants want to grow to the outside of the bed. When I pull my tarp, it would snap those branches if I didn't pull them back to the middle. Also, when the buds get heavy, it should help to hold them up.

Those are light dep plants, so they will not move again till harvest.

Right on looking forward to the grow! We're growing a lot of the same strains...
Thanks for stopping in. You got great taste in genetics then, :biggrin:. Hope you have a great year.

FoothillFarming

No time. I got starts, I got deps, I got 60 yards of soil to mix by hand. The net saves time and energy. Or at least that is how I calculated it.

Pruning more would most likely have given me a better yield also. Always room to improve, thanks for the heads up.

FoothillFarming

:) i wish i have those kind of "problems" . have you think of mixing soil with cement mixer ?

Yea, I almost bought one. However I am a stubborn bastard, and I get a great feel hand mixing things.

The system I have worked out is quite efficient. I can mix up 3/4 of a yard in about 20 minutes. Then I have to cart it or drive it out to the fields. That is what take the effort IMO. Then more shoveling into pots.

Manivelle

Veteran
ok. i'm asking because i see a lot of growers complaining about hand mixing and don't know why they don't use other way to mix..
you know how to properly shoveling i hope. i see a lot of people doing it the bad way .

Last edited:

HillMizer

This looks exciting. Those plants are looking great. Happy to hear the legal side is working out for you. I'm going to watch this one. I'm excited to learn about the soil. Leadsled seems to have all of the bases covered. I found a few discrepancys in the soil recommendations that I used. Good luck. Thanks for sharing

FoothillFarming

Little rain in the forecast for today. It's rained 4-5 days in the last week or two here. The temps have been low for this time of year also. Thinking it might be a late start to the warm weather. Also thinking with all the extra moisture, we might have an early fall. The fog is back in the valley for the first time in 5 years, so a rainy fall might happen as well.

Thinking about plugging my full season pots in the next couple of days, got some Ancient Og's that are popping out of their 5 gallon buckets.

I have 2 more 400's, 1 200, and 1 800 gallon pot to fill, then I am done mixing soil for another year!!!!! Yea! Good workout, but after weeks of mixing I am ready to move on.

Hope everybody is having a good start to their season. So far, this season is shaping up to be a great season.

Status
Not open for further replies.