What's new

A DWC BREAKTHROUGH.......???? you decide

!PeAcE!

HEY EVERYONE!!!
PEACE HERE AND I HAD A QUESTION FOR ALL HYDROHEADS OUT THERE IM CURRENTLY THINKING ABOUT DOING A DWC GROW AND MY BUDDY PACKN2PUFF ON THE FORUMS CAME UP WITH A CLEVER IDEA. HERES THE QUESTION WHAT IF YOU DECIDED TO NOT ONLY PUT AIR STONES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BUCKET BUT PLACE ONE IN THE NETPOT AS WELL DO YOU THINK YOU COULD BE SEEING QUICKER ROOT DEVELOPMENT???? WOULD YOU NEED TO SUBMERGE THE AIRSTON EPART OF THE NETPOT IN THE WATER?? PERHAPS SO THE ROOTS DONT DRY OUT (IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE??) I DREW UP A PIC IN DETAIL OF WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT ANY SUGGESTIONS THOUGHTS OPINIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!
!PEACE!

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
hmmm, I think its an excellent idea!!! However water can only hold so much DO.
I may need to try this in the trays!!Even if they were located 2 inch above the netpot, they would be splashed with water constantly, in turn feeding roots directly o2 bubbles.

Cool Idea!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
It does not hurt anything, but I did not see any additional growth or vigor when I tried it - I think it is an interesting idea. It did not seem to work in soil either when I tried it on clones to compare 3 years ago. If you try it show us pics.

I have had good results with an airstone under the roots in dwc, the roots like it. I'm running bare tube this year, no stones - yeah I got the stones right here babay. Another thing, heavy insulation on top of any dwc unit is verrrrrrrrrry important.
H

!PeAcE!

HEY EVERYONE!!:wave:

blunt - cant really take credit for the idea it was a idea from another member here on the forums i just drew up plans on what i thought it could look like you know my version of his idea. but make sure to post pics up here if you attemp to try!!! :woohoo:

HAPS - do you have any pics of your attemp??

also i came up with a new addition to the original idea instead of the airstone being in the netpot what about getting a circular tubular airstone prob 4 inches in diameter and zip tieing it about 3 inchs below the bottom of the netpot, zip tying it on the 4 corners of the netpot so that if the roots tug it one way the other side will reinforce it. but if doing so train the roots so they all go around the circle and not through the middls so it provide bubbles all around plus after it passes the circle is will skatter beneath the circle where the airstones on the bottom of the bucket can hit it with its bubbles the point of the circle is to spread out the roots all around.

any tips suggestions im all ears!

!PEACE!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Yeah they like that air source 2-3 inches below the net pot, they grow a big ball around it, there is one in the center in this pic, ya can't see it, just the powehead filter the roots grabbed.
H

!PeAcE!

so it seems to be somwhat of a interesting idea! i will be running a test run and will be sure to keep everyone updated!!
!PEACE!

clowntown

Veteran
IMO, I don't think it will give you any benefits, as the roots above the water should be exposed to all the moving air anyways as the air makes its way up from the airstones on the bottom of the bucket towards the netpot. The net pot is the only opening in the bucket where the air can get out, right? I think you'd be better off leaving extra airstones on the bottom of the bucket, and letting the extra oxygen dissolve in the water (if it has capacity to do so) and the remainder move naturally up through the net pot. Hope that makes some sense.

G

Haps said:
Yeah they like that air source 2-3 inches below the net pot, they grow a big ball around it, there is one in the center in this pic, ya can't see it, just the powehead filter the roots grabbed.
H
My system is a home made NFT out of 6" x 55'' PVC inside I run a airstick 45'' under all 6 plants I have to pick they up every 2 or so days because the roots wrap and hung the stick. Right know i have 2 6'' 4 4'' the next size is gotta be like 10"

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I did it with soil and saw no benefits what so ever except the soil dried out faster. I can't see hydroton being much different.