What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone Else Avoiding Sorbates? Found an interesting link today from 2010

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The original article is in chinese, but the abstract is in english.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov said:
This study was aimed at the transport across blood-brain barrier (BBB) of polysorbate-80 modified neurotoxin loaded polybutylcyanoacrylate nanoparticle (P-80-NT-NP) and its cytotoxicity.

--- snip ---

In conclusion, polysorbate-80 modified neurotoxin nanoparticles can transport across the BBB, while concentration of NT is greater than 200 ng x mL(-1), P-80-NT-NP has a little cytotoxicity against rBMECs.

Page I found it on...

My Issues With Tween-80?

I don't even remember how many years it's been now. I went through a period of time where I had zero artificial ingredients in my diet. My thinking became much clearer. I then began to notice days at a time where I had horrible memory issues.

Ever have a conversation with someone, agree to do something and then not see them for a few days? The instant you see them the entire conversation comes back to you, yet you haven't remembered it for single second for those few days?

That's the main issue I have with it. I don't have these memory issues when I don't use sorbates. Oh, I have memory issues all right, just not 'sorbate' bad. lol

I've Noticed Some "Sorbate" Behavior in People the Last Few Years
There are 3 ingredients I've identified which appear to be the main culprits. Potassium Sorbate, Polysorbate-60 and Polysorbate-80.

Ever come across someone who breaks down and cries at the tiniest thing, multiple times a day? How about having an issue with someone because they don't understand something. Yet, no matter how patient you are, no matter how carefully you break it down so they understand... "You're wrong and attacking them!" ??
Check their food ingredients lists and I'll bet there's a sorbate in there somwhere, and probably a few.

So What Exactly are the Sorbates Binding to In My Body?
The study discusses how a neurotoxin can bypass the blood brain barrier (BBB), when it's in high enough concentration AND it's modified with Polysorbate-80. At lower concentrations the body's natural defense mechanisms work. At higher concentrations the neurotoxin will pass through to the brain.

Is this why I have memory issues for 3 days after eating sorbates? Anyone else been wandering around this field for a while? lol

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
The fact that its designed to inhibit mold and yeast makes it an instant red flag to the digestive system as well. Everyone's brain is configured differently with certain areas on one persons brain being larger or smaller than another persons brain, we have the same pieces but in different configurations/proportions. Savant Syndrome is a great example of how one area of the brain becomes damaged/inoperable and another portions ability is increased greatly (research sensory overload and average human attention span lol).

Its an extroverted world and cognitive bias (<- search this too!) is rampant.

St. Phatty

There are many chemicals besides Sorbates in American foods, that affect the endocrine system & the human mind.

Many chemicals used in the processing of foods are simply not listed on the ingredients lable.

e.g. Mercury catalysts used to create High Fructose Corn Syrup.

The HFCS may have miniscule amounts of Mercury afterwards - parts per billion.

It doesn't matter how bright and honest a molecular biologist is, it is impossible to account for all the interactions between a human body and all the chemicals they are exposed to.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Honestly Douglas, I personally feel you have completely discredited yourself. You are constantly here posting about numerous different things which impact your mood or your health or what you view as your state of "normal".

How many different things are we suppose to consider valid with your over-sensitive hyper tuned sense of self - ESPECIALLY - after you gave blanket support for TrueTerps - when there was evidence presented to the contrary.

You believe in all this non-sense about your vibe, then you reject data provided for something that MIGHT just be a valid concern.

You've invalidated yourself and your hyper-sensitivity and your overly-cautious bordering on paranoid sense of this chemical invasion you think your body is constantly under. Which is not to say you are in fact WRONG, but simply that you pick and choose and just dive down whatever rabbit hole strikes your fancy that day; I think everything you post SHOULD be taken with a massive grain of salt.

You need to find some holistic essential oil inhaling anti-vax morons to share all your concerns with. I'm quite tired of all this NON-CANNABIS spam - which is what I personally feel it amounts to at this point.

Sorry, Doug. Enough is enough on my end.

dank.Frank

Gry

Yes, I refrain from consuming goop.
A basic vegan diet makes it easier to avoid a lot of their corporate goodness.
Switched as the result of cancer, wish I had done so years earlier.
According to medscape, having cancer two and even three times over a lifetime
will be considered the new normal going forward.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

There are many chemicals besides Sorbates in American foods, that affect the endocrine system & the human mind.
It's disgusting, isn't it? There are some amazingly nasty chemicals in the foods these days. I'm also amazed at how ignorant people are. They read the first few ingredients of something and skip the rest.

Honestly Douglas, I personally feel you have completely discredited yourself. You are constantly here posting about numerous different things which impact your mood or your health or what you view as your state of "normal".

How many different things are we suppose to consider valid with your over-sensitive hyper tuned sense of self
Considering I keep my system clean, and have taken the time to identify these factors and avoid them, I'm actually a better person to listen to than most. Would you listen to someone about staying clean, when they're 24/7/365 covered in mud?

- ESPECIALLY - after you gave blanket support for TrueTerps - when there was evidence presented to the contrary.
Seriously? I never gave any support to True Terpenes. I can't, because I haven't used them. I posted nothing about who is right or wrong, and gave no opinions on their products.

If you read my statements carefully, I simply pointed out my thoughts on those types of situations. Thanks for sharing.

According to medscape, having cancer two and even three times over a lifetime will be considered the new normal going forward.
I don't find this to much of a stretch either. I've watched ingredient lists get longer the last 10 years, like bunnies breeding. I'm wondering if the public will ever catch on in numbers and say something. heh

Health crisis in the USA? I can't imagine where it's coming from. :)

St. Phatty

Health crisis in the USA? I can't imagine where it's coming from. :)

More & more of the revenues of the Health care (destruction) industry are iatrogenic in nature.

i.e. people get hurt in the course of medical care, and then need to see a doctor about the injury or condition that was caused by medical care.

That is the exact def. of iatrogenic.

A larger definition, Western society pollutes, people embrace a terrible technology, and live with the higher breast cancer rates.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
None of the products that are supposedly "good" for you are affordable. The system is designed that way on purpose, it isn't broken. It works exactly like it is supposed to. The poor redistribute all their money to the top by the time they kick off; it's ensured they die with nothing or in debt.

I've always laughed at this. It's no different than getting a burger and telling them to hold the bacon, yet still paying the same price for it.

Sorbate / Paraben free shampoo/conditioners cost 4-8x what competing products do. SOOOO wait. You mean to tell me, taking an ingredient out of the product, some how makes it COST MORE. Yeah, that makes sense.

The products marketed for the health conscious are exactly that. Marketed. They don't get your money with the McFatty lifestyle, so they get it with this other non-sense scripted to your particular wants and desires.

Unless you are wealthy, you are going to die from cancer and disease. No way to avoid it in the long run. And by wealthy, I mean earning 7 figures. If you want to spend your time worrying about how everything is going to kill you or harm you or damage you, more power to you. Who knows, maybe your pure corpse won't rot as fast. ;)

dank.Frank

Last edited:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Dont you grow organic frank? I dont know your and douglas' history but your hostility is certainly unwarranted.

St. Phatty

Unless you are wealthy, you are going to die from cancer and disease. No way to avoid it in the long run. And by wealthy, I mean earning 7 figures. If you want to spend your time worrying about how everything is going to kill you or harm you or damage you, more power to you. Who knows, maybe your pure corpse won't rot as fast. ;)

dank.Frank

Not sure that's true.

One of my engineer friends married the daughter of a Texas banker.

The banker ran small banks that did favors for the government.

My engineer friend was part of the "new management" as the older banker aged.

The older banker had a stroke, and lost the ability to speak.

The loneliness was crushing. Yet his net worth was in the 9 figures ($100 Mill to $999 Mill).

Part of the story of the old banker was a suicide attempt. It was hard for me to keep up with all the details.

As some doctors will admit, Prostate Cancer is usually a sign that a man has lived a long life.

Main difference is, "medical treatment" is much more stressful for poorer people because it bankrupts them.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I do grow organic. Religiously. However, I don't do so based on some convoluted notion that I'm going to save the world, I do so because I want to grow the best possible cannabis.

I have zero hostility towards Doug. I enjoy his posts on most things and actually respect his community contributions relating to cannabis - like his CBD test threads. Golden stuff right there. But, I'm to the point to where I just scroll over his posts because I expect them to be full of alarmisms that are far beyond my realm of feasible control.

My original comment in this thread said he is likely not wrong on most of these things and I do imagine, just like caffeine you begin to notice when something is removed and then reintroduced into a diet. I'm not hating on Douglas. He's all good in my book, but I still think other point stands. It was casual conversation on my end, not an attack.

The type of thing you say before tossing a rock in the fire, poking the logs with a stick and firing up another. ;)

dank.Frank

Douglas.Curtis

Not sure that's true.
Me neither. I already look 10 years younger than people my age, sleep only 4-5 hours a night vs. their 8-10, heal quickly, can work teens on up into the ground and still have energy for life, and am still improving in health. I'm dirt poor though. lol
It's due to research and prioritizing healthy food choices.

I've watched just as many rich people ignoring their health as I have the non-rich. Having money for surgeries isn't going to save a person from a life of eating faux healthy foods. Go to Trader Joe's or another upscale shopping mart and watch the ridiculous choices people make. Organic sugar is just as bad as cheapo sugar. Boxes and packages and cans of things which (sometimes) taste amazing, but are definitely, and completely non-healthy.

You can literally remove about 95% of every supermarket and grocery store for me and I wouldn't miss it. I shop produce, meat, some clean dairy, eggs, spices, oil and rice flour. Difficult to find many packages I'll buy, the ingredients are garbage. Yes, this IS ridiculously expensive.

I can spot the word sorbate in seconds though. LOL

What I really want to know? What compounds are the sorbates binding with in my body? What methods of detox can I use to get rid of these neurotoxins? Once it(they) are identified, it(they) can probably be removed. I seriously doubt it's only one toxin either, I'm guessing there will be quite a few.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
What I really want to know? What compounds are the sorbates binding with in my body? What methods of detox can I use to get rid of these neurotoxins? Once it(they) are identified, it(they) can probably be removed. I seriously doubt it's only one toxin either, I'm guessing there will be quite a few.

Research how plaque forms on/in the brain, adequate sleep seems to be the most important factor for any type of bodily function.

Douglas.Curtis

Research how plaque forms on/in the brain, adequate sleep seems to be the most important factor for any type of bodily function.
This is interesting, I've heard this a few times now.

So, my question would be "What is a lack of sleep?"
The reason I ask is I'm not tired during the day, and never need a nap unless I'm completely overworked in the morning. Very rare. lol

Why do I feel 4-5 hours of sleep is plenty for me? It's the food I'm eating. When I eat the correct foods for me, my foot is tapping with energy only 4-5 hours after going to sleep. When I choose my foods incorrectly, I sleep 8-10 hours and am still tired.

On average, you spend one third of your life working, one third sleeping, and the other third broken up between eating and personal activities.

If work is interfering with sleep, it's taking up 2/3rds of your life and likely spilling over into the remaining 3rd. People are advised to quit and work a different job.

When the food you eat effects your work, your sleep and your personal time, you really need to change your food choices. The issue is, most people are completely unaware of how deeply their daily life is impacted by simple food choices.

Awareness is a powerful thing. :tiphat:

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
So, my question would be "What is a lack of sleep?"
The reason I ask is I'm not tired during the day, and never need a nap unless I'm completely overworked in the morning. Very rare. lol

Why do I feel 4-5 hours of sleep is plenty for me? It's the food I'm eating. When I eat the correct foods for me, my foot is tapping with energy only 4-5 hours after going to sleep. When I choose my foods incorrectly, I sleep 8-10 hours and am still tired.

Awareness is a powerful thing. :tiphat:

Its a matter of balancing your activity level and sleep to not drag the tiredness on while awake. Eating shitty foods high in fat, protein, salt and refined sugar cause insulin spikes in your blood which makes your energy crash, "Sugar rushes" from refined sugar are really just a dopamine release and energy crash shortly after. Eating correctly balanced food/meals releases its energy over time like insoluble organic amendments keeping you feeling energized instead of only right after eating. Fats and protein the slowest burning and most energy dense, carbohydrates the mid ground and vitamins/sugars the immediate available energy. I recommend the documentaries Food Choices and Vitamania all the time as a great insight into diet and health.

What your doing now is what I understand as adequate sleep, I dont sleep more than 4-5 hours typically either (and drink alot of milk lol).

Douglas.Curtis

Hehe, sounds about right. I'm the wrong blood type for the milk thing though. I used to drink 3 gallons a week and am so glad I quit. Feta, mozza and fermented dairy for me or it's mucus city, digestive problems and sleeeeeeep. lol :)

If you eat something, and 3 days later is smells like it just sat around rotting in a warm wet place, you really shouldn't eat it. You're not really absorbing much nutrition from it, and the toxins from rotting in your guts won't do you much good either. ;)