What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dome and light for cuttings and lont term clone care

G

I put this off a few months and now Im kicking myself in the ass. I had one of the best plants ever and didnt follow up and take cuttings. I have a spot about 2' high 10" wide and 2' long to use and I will need to root cuttings AND keep any long term clones in the same spot. I think this is possible from what I have read so far. Maybe.

I have just received one of these, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HHR5DGN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and I have two 2" Sunblaster T5 fixtures Im not using for anything else since I dont use UVB anymore.

For bulbs I was thinking of using ONE of these https://www.amazon.com/iPower-Fluorescent-Output-Light-Bulbs/dp/B018WIOFUC in just ONE of the 2' T5 fixtures about 6" or so above the top of the dome.

I cant find just one or two of the tubes just the 5 pack. Unless someone can suggest a better tube.

Run it on a timer 18/6 ??

I have a CFL already I used with this for a couple seedlings last run but after using a thermometer laying on a tall box in the dome for a trial, its running 95F just an inch under the cover of the dome. A little to hot I reckon so I will opt for the T5 light instead. I have a heating mat as well but its not on yet since Im just setting up and wont need it for a 6-7 weeks.

I put some cuttings in the refrigerator stasis method earlier this week and was planning on starting the cuts when I get to week 6-7 of flower on this run. Same Relentless Genetics seeds as before and I have one that looks close to the one that got away of a glue variant.

Sound OK?

Can long term moms or growing cuttings and replacing them every few weeks or months, live in harmony with each other under the dome?

What is the temp range of the tray under the dome since I have a mat with a thermostat control and what is the optimum temp under the dome from the lighting?

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
You don't want to keep plants under the dome after they've rooted. Just so you know. After the cuttings have a decent amount of roots, and they want to start photosynthesizing, you want to remove the dome and start feeding them, treating them like the vegetative plants they are at that point. So it seems to me like what you are after is a small mother/veg cab, which should be do-able with what you have there. You will want a space for the little mini-greenhouse thing, for rooting cuttings, but then you also want space in there for some potted plants where you will keep the clones after you've removed them from the mini-greenhouse. Or for mother plants. Or both.

So long-term moms and rooting cuttings can live in harmony in the same cabinet, but not "under the dome" so to speak.

Keep the environment in the upper 70s (F) and everyone will be happy.

G

I’m putting together a plan to make a 30”X30” by 12” deep box to sit on existing shelving in the closet I grow in. The space is there I just have to reroute my tent exhaust that goes up to the attic.
Useing the mentioned T5 tube, maybe 2 of them if needed. As well as 2 of these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009OWVUJ0/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1 hopefully have it ready in a few weeks. Kind of busy doing home remodeling stuff at the moment. Thanks for the information. More is always welcome.

G

OK just for shits I am throwing up a couple pics of my ultra expensive and custom made clone and bonsai box. Pretty self explanatory.

Wish I had done this last year.
I had two nice plants growing and for the first time I had a hermi so I culled it in week two of flower. Luckily the cuts I have and got one maybe two started looks OK for a first effort. Tonight I planted one in a 3.5 container to move up per the uber cool bonsai mom thread.

In a year or so I hope to have a few moms. This one is elmersglue. Next up is my first ever grow for a pheno hunt for gorillabubble.

I hung two Sunblaster T5 fixtures and have iPower tubes. Looks like I will only need 1 but I dont know for sure so I hung the extra for the backup. I used two Axial fans and the uber expensive Reynalds wrap for now. I dont see how mylar or panda film is needed for a spot like this. 34" wide 26" tall inside dimensions made from 1"x 12" board from box store with 3M spray adhesive for the aluminum foil. The front is the same material that is used on the back of furniture. Buy it by the sheet from box store. The back is 1/8 " and the front is 1/4". Hangs off of a screw in each corner at top. Not a perfect light seal but its in a closet so its OK. Grabbed a cheap set of handles to ease off and on of front cover. Running it on a timer 23/1.

The fans were about $17 each off ebay and the Axial brand are totally silent. Probably have another $20 in it for the 1"x12" and handles. Rest of the stuff I had laying around. Plus the cost of the T5 tubes. Already had the fixtures and hangers. Put the foil on the inside of the front hanging door as well. Used the last of the wifes kitchen roll of foil and had to take grief for a minute until she realized what it was for. Drilled and screwed the ends of the 1x12 and used some 1x4 scraps I had cut at 45 degree to reinforce corners. I ran two screws from the underside of the existing finished closet shelving to make sure it wont accidentally fall off.

No excuse to not have done this a long time ago.

This is starting to look like a sub hobby all its own. :biggrin:

Pretty plain and unobtrusive. Kind of.

Next to my small tent in a small closet. People have no clue. :biglaugh:

And my first so far success. The other one is behind and will be kept for now as a back up until first one is established in a 5.5 square pot and doing well.

Last edited:

Smoke_A_Lot

ICMag Donor
Veteran
stewart169 thanks for that post & info...
Giving me inspiration for when i build a mother/clone box!

Latest posts

Latest posts