What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey petflora

do you mean for the whole cycle?

if yes, then keep a ton of 2 liter frozen coke bottles on stand by for the rez and drop the room temp a bit if you can

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I see how I confused you. I edited the post. Check it again.

Our weather this year is approaching record highs, with only a few days of dips into mid-upper 60 nights, low-mid 70 days

Room has open beam ceiling, only 4" separates the suns intense heat. Typical mid day temps are 83-85, as is the room. Night maybe 72*s

When I'm home, I turn the ac on for a few hours during hottest part of the day, or until room temp drops to ~ 75*

The balmy weather does take its' toll on a grow and grower

hey petflora

do you mean for the whole cycle?

if yes, then keep a ton of 2 liter frozen coke bottles on stand by for the rez and drop the room temp a bit if you can

med-man

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Due to heat here, my rez is running 76-80*. I added a jug of frozen water, after an hour, it is still above 70*

Thoughts?

hey petflora

- 1.6 ml 35% h202 every 2-3 days
- more ice packs more often
- airstones in the rez
- water chiller (ouside the room)

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Food Grade 35% is tres expensive

Do you think beauty supply grade at that low amount would be ok? I buy it for general purpose cleaning/disinfecting @ ~ $11/gallon. Have plenty on hand. The only things that oogie builds up in (clogs) are the Hydro Halo rings. I have clean/flush them every couple weeks

4" air stone discs are under each pump 24/7 + nutes are recycling through 160 gph pump over polished ornamental rocks, cascading back into the rez
. + some magnetic magic

I call it my High Performance Rez

Haven't found a reasonably priced water chiller + monthly energy cost is high on them

hey petflora

- 1.6 ml 35% h202 every 2-3 days
- more ice packs more often
- airstones in the rez
- water chiller (ouside the room)

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Now, this is amazing to me.

Barely 24 hours later...

View attachment 259168

I dropped 7 seeds in ~ 4 ozs water with a couple drops of Neptune Seaweed Plant Food

24 hours later all seeds cracked

Yesterday I put them in super starter cubes

and placed them under 2 ufo 90s: 3 watt diodes- all white; one is 5000K the other 3500K

Lights are ~ 3ft above the seedlings; 24/0

This morning they have all broken out

I reseated the one on right side that practically grew out of the cube

Last edited:

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hye pet flora

thank you for the update. guess size isnt everything? lol :)

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm posting this here, as it might help someone from exeriencing the same problem...

Not happy about it, but I had to harvest at least 10 days early- no signs of amber

I made only 2 changes in the last 5 days

1. I put a ladies footie on each pump to keep them clean (I used men's nylon sox in the past, but they are bigger than necessary
2. I started adding jugs of frozen water, reducing the rez temp from ~ 80 to ~ 70

One of the jugs had a label which was barely submerged into the nutes, so not likely, but the footies...

I would not suspect the nylon, BUT, each footie has a ~ 1/2" x 1" tab at the heel, made from some sort of flexible material, both of which were completely submerged

No doubt china made- bought at Wally world

What I noticed in just 2 days was, the main stalks and branches all turned a pale yellow beige + leafs started drooping/dying

Fresh Nutes ~ 250ppm, pH 6.0

Yesterday morning, I noticed the rez had a small amount of soapy looking bubbles mixed in with the air bubbles

I immediately drained the rez and flushed with RO water

This morning no recovery, so I harvested.

View attachment 259322 View attachment 259323

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think I figured out what happened

I cleaned the Hydro Halo rings by soaking them in a mixture of Dr Bonner's pure soap + Arm & Hammer Washing Powder + H2O2

Although I rinsed them, apparently not enough, which would account for the bubbles and even though the rez pH was fine (6.0) the roots got soaked with washing powder residue

So the moral of the story, thoroughly rinse your HH rings

Hopefully, the footies over the pumps will prevent algae build up inside them

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All 6 seedlings are pushing on 2"

Not sure how long to keep them under 24/0

I usually do this for a week then cut back 20/4 until they are ready to flip

Thoughts?

Lights

We're getting closer to very bright future with leds

COB emitters are game changers. Think mini hps, but with directional light (no reflected loss + much less heat)

See links below to a good example eshines 5G. Now it can be improved by replacing the multi-chips with COBs + a few other things, BUT...

It is user friendly. and simple to replace emitters- YEAH!

DIYers are proving that a combination of NW or CW @ ~15%, surrounded by WW *~50% 3000k + 50% 2700K) works quite nicely (amazing actually)

Cobs are more efficient than multi-chips, PLUS, being all one spectrum, their life expectancy is both greater while the light is uniform

Improvements would include:

* driver moved outboard to minimize heat
* Note emitter layout on 160 v 320. The 160 will provide more uniform coverage
* Daisy Chain
* 2 o/o switches one for the 4 outside emitters. This to be employed once fruit is established

Plants in vegetative stage do not need as much WW as they do once fruiting begins

Remote is an unnecessary expense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zmxkc2W_Xo

http://www.eshinesun.com/growsun/growsun-series.html

Hope this helps

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Since roots are already protruding outside the 1/2 size starter cube it was time to move to phase 2: the bubbler

I posted step-by-step pics so anyone can see how to do this.

To minimize root rot, I cut starter cubes in half, and water with a meat baster, or eye dropper.

Once the seedlings outgrow the plastic egg tray, they are moved into 3" net pots, 6 of which fits into a 4g tote

I combine small and medium size polished ornamental stones (Dollar Store) in the net pots. First I put a single layer of 'flat' stones on the bottom of the net pots, followed by the plant.

The rocks on the bottom forces the roots to grow sideways, which makes for a stronger anchor for the main stem. I then cup the plant and begin infilling with stones, being very careful not to hit the delicate stems

The stones keep the developing roots cool and allow any additional top feeding to quickly drain into the bubbler.I use a 15 liter per minute
4 head air pump + 4 large oxystones. Note the pic also has a 4" disc, which throws more air, BUT, it is too light, and floats. Figure out how to keep it on the bottom and it's an even better option

I keep the water line right at the bottom of the net pot until roots start exiting, then lower the water line

Nutrients

I like Hydroponic-Research V + B it is a one step powder. It works great, and I am not paying shipping cost for water, PLUS, I have an RO. Water comes out ~ 20ppm. At this stage I mix @ ~ 200ppms, and we're off

View attachment 259553 View attachment 259554 View attachment 259555 View attachment 259556 View attachment 259557

Last edited:

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
WOW nice setup PetFlora - Cant wait till mine get big enough to flip and watch these babys flower :)

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Bud!

Wait until you see the F & D with High Performance Rez in action.

Shit, I missed the pic of the roots exiting the cube. The prior post pics is maxed out

So...

View attachment 259562

Last edited:

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it possible to change this threads' title?

I have regained my sanity, or lost it...

Here is the elephant in the room that no one has considered

Don't confuse any R/B or multi-spectrum emitter first generation grow results with what will likely happen in subsequent generation seeds/clones, namely: genetic alterations, due to improper spectrums that are likely to negatively affect all subsequent seed generation

Genetic Predisposition

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_predisposition

Plant and animal genetics will change/adapt due to environmental stresses- and rarely for the betterment

Human and animal predispositions include; heart disease, cancer, scurvy, hip dysplaysia, allergies... to name a few well known subsequent generation genetic alteration/health issues.

Unless the cause changes, predispositions are likely to develop

IMO, this is compounded because mj is a fruiting plant, therefor having a greater need for a balanced spectrum throughout it's life, although that balance is tilted toward blue spectrums in veg, and red in flower

Think how commercial fruit and vegetable agricultural practices of not replenishing the soil with proper macros or micro has impacted not only the taste, but the nutritional value of the foods we eat

At least 10 years ago, the Department of Agriculture stated that agricultural top soil (top 6") is dead

Nutrients is energy,
and so is light

So whether I am growing with hot5s or leds, make mine predominantly WHITE

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone interested in buying/building an led panel/light should subscribe to www.ledmagazine.com

The current issue has awakened me to not buy any fixed diode/emitter lights at this time, and likely never

One article blows up the 50,000 hour life expectancy BS. It might be true, but not as a useful light to grow mj. There example shows the same light new v 5000 hours. 5000 divided by 15 (av hours per day between V & B)= 333 days. Nooooooooooooooo!

I am going to go with either a manufactured light where cobs are easily replaced by the owner, or a DIY using Molex receptacles + COBs; see my post # 37

[/FONT]

med-man

Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey pet flora

is this a silver skunk test grow or a clinic in led lighting?

just wondering?

med-man

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bit of both

As you know, not much going on at the moment, although the young leaf are reaching toward the lights

No real reason to post daily seedling pics

Pretty much all the lead up is out of the way

hey pet flora

is this a silver skunk test grow or a clinic in led lighting?

just wondering?

med-man