What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The NEW C99 brother Grimm

Kinkao

As a report i have to say that people should expect a lot of males

My last experience, 6 seeds to sprout, only 5 popped out, i kept them in veg for 9 weeks, and ended up with 5 Males .

Side to it all my Citrique from Exotic Genetix sprouted and had 1 male and 5 females .

150$ a pack of what is suppose to be the holly grail strain, 100% males over 5 beans ... Maybe i got unlucky ?

Anyone tried the new version of C99 ?

Thank you

As a report i have to say that people should expect a lot of males

My last experience, 6 seeds to sprout, only 5 popped out, i kept them in veg for 9 weeks, and ended up with 5 Males.

The sex of a seed is determined at fertilization and will depend on whether the male gamete carry's the X or Y chromosome. So with regular seeds getting a male or female is a toss of the coin for every seed, so you just got unlucky.

Hope this helps :tiphat:

bushed

Hey, did you photograph your grow? As stated above this was nature working against you, however it has been reported that produces of premium priced seeds often will gift a pack of seeds when asked nicely in the event of coming across a pack that is all males. So you could try and email the brothers grimme and see what they say.

Also something I have come across once when I was lazy watering my plants in coco after switching to 12/12, leaving them short of water during the short window of time that sex begins to show. I had 16 males out of twenty plants. I did a little research and someone here with credibility (possibly chimera, but cant remember for sure) agreed.

It makes sense from a natural selection point of view that when lacking in water there will be more males in the hope that one survives to pollinate for the next generation. When there is plenty of water it makes sense to have more females as this results in more genetic diversity.

This is not to say that this is what happened in your case, just an interesting related piece of information.

It makes sense from a natural selection point of view that when lacking in water there will be more males in the hope that one survives to pollinate for the next generation. When there is plenty of water it makes sense to have more females as this results in more genetic diversity.

Hi Bushed. With all due respect for your experience, there is no evidence whatsoever that anything which occurs following fertilization can change the sex of an otherwise female plant (i.e. two X chromosomes). Certainly stress can induce Hermaphrodism in some plants, and some genetics are more sensitive to this than others. If you got 16 true males out of twenty then you got unlucky as well.

bushed

Thanks for your respectful reply natural high, I'm far from an expert on this matter and what you said makes prefect sense.

It is very possible also that the plants in question were very male looking hermaphrodites as the seeds were inbred blueberry plants. I wish I could find the post where people more knowledgeable than myself are talking about this but cant find it.

It is very possible also that the plants in question were very male looking hermaphrodites as the seeds were inbred blueberry plants.

I grew 22 sativa's outdoors from seed gifted to me.

About a half were essentially female, with one or two having the old male flower; a quarter showed a few male flowers initially then (mainly) all female flowers; and the other quarter a few female first flowers then all male flowers. Talk about a dud batch of seed.

I concluded that the seeds I was given were probably created in a similar situation to my grow, with the hermaphrodite tenancy passed to all the offspring.

Fantastic smoke though :)

DeMonet

Chimera says, in the Jorge book's breeding section at the back, that temperature during germination can influence sex. Cooler temps tend to result in more females than warmer temps.

I'm certainly no expert, but if true, that may have played a part in your maletastrophe.

Chimera says, in the Jorge book's breeding section at the back, that temperature during germination can influence sex

Anyone who understands meiosis will know that this is not possible. The sex of a seed is determined at fertilization and depends on whether the male gamete possesses the X or Y chromosome - It can't have both.

Cheers

rolandomota

Those other seeds might all be female its about a 50 50 chance most of the time. Make seeds and never have to buy a pack for 150 again.

LostTribe

Premium user

SC that sucker looks just like my initial green cindy. I love her but the #4 was way more pungent and with a totally different strong skunky fruitiness on her. Great pics!

~star~crash~

mine came out uniformly dark purple with a very pungent cat-piss terp profile...the marijuana is very very good, very potent,frosty...etc.....my beef is that it's nothing like the original despite what anyone might claim,including the breeders...that's a fact

Kinkao

Thanks for your support and advices guys and sorry for not answering sooner, I don't have regular acces to internet.

No pixes were taken during the grow. I'll see if I can take some now but I'm in a country where you don't want to take too many chances... Apart from the Citrique and the C99 I sprouted several other strains at the same time. They all had the same lighting, soil, watering and feeding. Only the C99 came out all male. I'm sure it was plain very bad luck but it hurts the pocket all the same... About 9 years ago I ordered C99 and had no problem whatsoever, very rewarding strain by the way. Yours sure look beautiful Star crash, congratulation :) Did you make some seeds with them ?
It's also good to know there's a difference between the original C99 and the new one. Was the new one's high more sativa like (upgoing) or indica like ?
I'm gonna write the Grimm's brothers to see if they would accept to make a gesture and let you know what comes out of it.
A nice and happy grow to all of you guys.

Slabs

Anyone who understands meiosis will know that this is not possible. The sex of a seed is determined at fertilization and depends on whether the male gamete possesses the X or Y chromosome - It can't have both.

Cheers

ah good old freshman biology. how could we ever forget our punnett squares and such:woohoo:

CrushnYuba

Bros grim and top dawg shared a both at the emerald cup. They were next to our booth so i got some packs.
I popped 2 packs of the new Cindy. Got about half female. But the top dawg seeds had so many males i was really confused. I got 3 bubblegum chem females, and 3 tre stardawg females! Would have popped more.
I really like the way the Cindy grows. Bigger then any of my other seeds. Bigger then friends started set the same time.
This picture was taken a little before fathers day i think. Untopped or trained. In a 300 gallon pot.
0623172029.jpg

Kinkao

Nice plants ! Thanks for sharing CrushnYuba. I wish you guys a perfect weather all the way until harvest time. I sprouted the five last seeds last week. If I'm as lucky as Star Crash and you, they'll all be female :) I finally had 8 fems out of 11 Citrique seeds and about similar results from the other strains. I guess the male they used to BX the new C99 (as it seems not to be exactly the original) wasn't lacking in testosterone :)
I hope I'll get a juicy fruit scented pheno like the one I fell in love with back then...

Last edited:

meizzwang

Anyone else finish the new Brothers Grimm C99? Smoke report? I'm hearing mixed reviews overall.

FWIW, regarding male to female ratios, some landrace strains have a higher frequency of male to female ratios (as reported by many different people growing the same strain). I don't think biology is always black and white with a 50/50 chance, there are rare exceptions to the rule.

Nevertheless, since some growers are reporting normal ratios of male to female ratios, it seems unlikely that the new Brothers grimm C99 is a rare exception to the rule, but we'll as more data comes in from other growers.

Cantbuymeloveuh

I germed 4, 2 females. I carried both females thru flower. Both were the grapefruit pheno. Some of the weakest shit Ive grown. Highly disappointed. I am almost finished with Apollo XX.. I will dry and cure bud looks to be a disappointment as well. These are all from Bros. Grimm

I've had great luck with my new brothers Grimm c99! I popped 6 beans, and got 3 females. All 3 females are keepers. #3 produces nuggets, #4 and #5 produce colas. All 3 have serious resin production, mostly fruity temps, and are potent. Lab tested #3 and #4. #4 was over 18% thc and #3 was 19.38% thc, #4 was 18.44% thc. All 3 are done between 7 and 8 weeks. They are top shelf flower and the bho is phenomenal. Zero complaints on my end. There is a ton of info and pictures about them in the grow in my signature.

JOJO420

Veteran
I just saw both Mosca and the new Bros Grimm seeds grown alongside the originals grown outdoors in NorCal this year.
48 seedling plants all between 5-10 pounders each.

My eyes and nose told me
Both Mosca and New Br Grimm sucked in comparison to old stock in all catagories.
It was night and day difference.
Plus the Original C99’s we grow are testing over 25% at labs and have been for last 7 yrs solid.

The new stuff like FrozenFire said is 18-20%
While that is still a decent lab reading ,we found not as potent as original.

I’m really believing the old stock is better based upon what we see in the field.
I am in no way dissing Bros Grimm , am only sharing my experience cause I love me some me Cindy99

In fact I’m high on the Cindy we are talking about right now :)