What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who else in your family loves gardening?

Hey guy!

Curious as to who else in your family is into gardening, or did they get you into gardening?

For me it was my grandparents, my parents like gardening but don't do it. So whenever I was with them I would be out in the garden loving every minute of it too! Then as I got older with work and family etc. times get stressful and garden time takes on a whole new meaning.

Anyway, bit of a silly question just throwing it out there, take it easy guys!

MicroRoy

My grand mother. My mother. My father. He had a thing for growing tomatoes after he got ahold of some seeds thatva great uncle escaped from Germany with.

One of my first memories is planting beans with my mother. Planted the hills counted the beans out. Watering every day. Then when they pushed up a crust.My mother pointed and said the beans are about to pop up. When I looked she turned the hose on them and pow there they were. Been growing every since then.

Green Squall

Both my grandfathers and my dad grew vegetable gardens and the ladies of the family were always into planting flowers.

It didn't start to interest me until my mid 20's I think. Growing your own food is so damn rewarding! I think it's important to get kids into gardening too so they know where their food comes from. Most think it just comes from the grocery store lol.

MattoMaria

Ambassador
Nobody, only me...:tumbleweed:

My father would put concrete everywhere, my mother kills all plants who touch and my brother..........pfff!!!
BUT my fatherly grandpa was a farmer and my maternal grandma loves plants.

I started to love plants when i was in depression....one day i decided to try to save the plants that my mother was killing. I saw that with a little bit of love and of care they could recover. So i tought to buy some other plants for expand my garden.
One day one cactus showed some little black balls. I went to florist but he told me that them were the beginning of flowers. After 2 week i came back to florist beacuse the plant was in critical condition, and only in that moment he said me it was attacked by lices.
I tried to save in all ways, but the cactus didn't give signs of life. I had to go in Poland (10 days), when i come back in Italy, i immediately went to see the cactus health, but nothing, it was the same. I thought to bin it, but when i take the vase, a little magnolia leaf (which covered in part the cactus) fell down and i could seen a new little cactus bud.

I thought in my head: "This plant has risked to die, but with me at side, it has tried to fight against death and it has won. And me? I have a fantastic family, i'm not alone, i want get out to depression!"

The plants taught me to live

ps: Sorry for my bad english

isitisi

All grandparents love gardening, they know have little garden where they grow vegetables and some trees. They used to make me do little jobs when I was a kid and I learned a lot from them and as I use internet now I'm teaching things to them, it is amazing and makes me wonder if choose the wrong job. Cheers.

solofoe

I didn't have anyone in my family garden... the closest thing to a gardener in my life was my best friend's mom (I still visit with her) she had an immense garden and would make her own compost and the only interest I took in it as a kid was the thought of dropping a few seeds from my cheap Mexican brick weed of the day... but now I love gardening I really enjoy trying out new crops like this year I'm doing carrots beets and parsnips for the first time... this thread gave me a really nice feeling while reading it... so I thought I would share my experience

Green Squall

I didn't have anyone in my family garden... the closest thing to a gardener in my life was my best friend's mom (I still visit with her) she had an immense garden and would make her own compost and the only interest I took in it as a kid was the thought of dropping a few seeds from my cheap Mexican brick weed of the day... but now I love gardening I really enjoy trying out new crops like this year I'm doing carrots beets and parsnips for the first time... this thread gave me a really nice feeling while reading it... so I thought I would share my experience

Focusing on root veggies, huh? have you grown potatoes? They are super easy. You don't even need to buy potato seed. Just get a bag of organic potatoes from he grocery store and you can use those once they sprout eyes.

shithawk420

Veteran
Both of my parents grow.my mom just got these cool African spear heads I think they are called.I'll take pics tommorrow.they are gnarly

solofoe

Focusing on root veggies, huh? have you grown potatoes? They are super easy. You don't even need to buy potato seed. Just get a bag of organic potatoes from he grocery store and you can use those once they sprout eyes.

No I haven't tried potato yet maybe some colorful fingerling potato variety when I do

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
My mom and dad both enjoyed working in the yard when I was a kid. My mom mainly grew flowers but she grew herbs like cilantro, a few vegetables and her fkn nopales(cactus)! Come to think of it, I'm not gonna give her any credit for the nopales!haha

My dad spent more time in the yard than she did. Everyday after work he'd drink a six pack, aka "have a lil relaxer", in the backyard while he was pruning, pulling weeds, watering and of course, eating fruit. He's into fruit trees big time. Every kind of citrus, plums, figs, peach, guava, persimmon, mango, little sour apples...... He had to of had nearly 40 when I was laying on my belly building dirt city's in that backyard. Badass tunnels and bridges made of twigs'n shit!lol The dirt always felt so cool and rocks of any size were hard to find.

He also grew all kinds of chiles. Some were so god damn hot they were only good for playing cruel jokes on people you didn't like! He'd always pull a couple chiles before he ate. Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! Seriously! I still remember being a kid running into his bathroom looking for something 2 HOURS after he had left for work and nearly fkn dying!!! It was not human!!!haha

My mom's wanted to leave the hood for years but my dad ain't giving up that yard. It's pretty big and both the climate and soil are perfect but really it's the time. He would want what he has and there just isn't the time.

Sivas

My grandmother alwas had a nice garden, now she is not with us anymore I am trying myself to be a gardener. Too bad I was too ignorat while she was still alive and didnt care for growing anything else than weed. Now I am starting to learn on my own. But I love gardening.

MintyMick

My grandparents were farmers so my parents had to help, so they learned from my grandparents and they passed it on to us kids. My wife and I love gardening, and have been passing on how we garden to our kiddo.

St. Phatty

Great Question. I wish.

I asked my (thoroughly corporatized) older brother a similar question about Food Security.

His answer ... he owns Monsanto stock.

I asked him about Precious Metals.

He said, he owns Barrick stock.