What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

White scale on stem?

Any idea what this white scale looking stuff is on the stem of this plant? It starts at the bottom and works its way up the stem. Could it be Powdery Mildew or a fungus? Please help if you know how to kill it or what it is.

Attachments

• CIMG0167.jpg
    CIMG0167.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 4
  • CIMG0168.jpg
    CIMG0168.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 4
  • CIMG0169.jpg
    CIMG0169.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CIMG0170.jpg
    CIMG0170.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 3
  • CIMG0171.jpg
    CIMG0171.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 3
Looks like salt build up are your leaves flat or curled and hanging down if there flat and reaching for the light that might be a disease if your leaves are hanging down its to much ferts causeing salt build up . Last chance if everything else is good it could be high humidity so the stem is trying to send out roots is posible

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There is a pest called "scale" that bores into the main stem. They are oval shaped and flat and progressively move up the stem. The problem is when the scale dies it molds and the mold spreads to the node and surrounding bud. When you squash one, they are full of guts.

Cougartex

ICMag Donor
If you pinch it and red, yellow or orange stickiness is left on your fingers then it's scale or similar insect.

Granger2

Veteran
As Cougartex says, see if it is a living being. If it is use your nail or something to scrape them off, dispose of in a cup of real soapy water, then remove from garden. Scale, especially, armored scale usually needs a systemic to get rid of it. Oils, with repeated frequent apps, will control them. I would start with Neem. Good luck. -granger

sso

Veteran
Easiest way to tell if you have scale, is to check if the leaves below the scales are all sticky with a sugary substance. (They drink plantsap and shit sugar..)

You can scrape them off to begin with.
The scales protect them from many things, so you really need to scrub them off, the oils mostly kill the offspring.

You can use a toothbrush.

Edit. Better check the leaves too and try to get it before it gets to the leaves, though not all scales do that.
Also might want to quarantine these plants while you are dealing with this.

At the end of flowering, give the flowering room a good scrub.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
those are pretty bad pictures but it doesn't look like scale. this is scale.
picture.php

picture.php

the white stuff.

looks like some sort of disease effecting your stem or maybe environmental stress. doesn't look like bug damage though. definitely some sort of cellular level issue.

Thank you all for the replys. It is not a bug as far as I can tell. But it does spread up the stem. I scraped it from the stems with a razor and under magnification it is not a bug. Maybe some type of fungus or something.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Are there damages that would allow air into the stem turning the material "woody" prematurely? I had an issue with high stress training, and where air got in, it had the same look....

Cant find a later one.... this was early on....
IMG_20130629_153629.jpg

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Soak a paper towel in alcohol and wipe. Make sure to put something around the base to catch anything that falls

Get silicone additive and mix into your nutes. Also spray or wipe on stems. You could also wipe with cayenne pepper

Amending this - if whatever the bumps are do not come off then most likely headband is correct

Last edited:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I could be wrong here but I would say your over doing it on your fert and that looks like salt build up from too much. This is what it looks like to me anyways . You never need to use the amount on the bottle always use a bit less as your grow is never as good as the ones they do the testing on stay frosty headband 707:biggrin:

Thank you all for the replys. It is not a bug as far as I can tell. But it does spread up the stem. I scraped it from the stems with a razor and under magnification it is not a bug. Maybe some type of fungus or something.