What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is my tent resistant to thermal imaging?

Kindest

Is my SJ DR-90 safe from the thermal imaging technology that is apparently being used so prevalently?

This week has really made me question what rights to privacy I have in my own home.

Happy 420
picture.php

gardenfather

it seems like ur running LED am I right? if so I dont think you should have to worry but if u are then just get the IR blocking material. Lows, Home Depot has it. I think its froma company called reflectix

RonSmooth

Veteran
Worrying about thermal imaging is the last thing that concern you. A tent grow is not even going to register.

The practice is not nearly as widespread as paranoid growers might think and is not grounds for a search warrant.

It is loose lips and carelessness that get people busted. LE doesnt have to go looking for anything, they have plenty of snitches and lazy growers to keep them busy.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think it depends on what time of day/night you run your lights and the temperature inside your tent. A sure give away would be the thermal image of the exhaust temperature, so you might want to have your tent vent the exhaust above or close to a window a/c. Running a sealed reflector for your light will reduce the heat signature as well.

nickman

Veteran
I always wonder this too... Every time. I See a chopper fly by I cringe... I wonder can they detect a one thousand watter vented out the window?...

Snow Crash

Veteran
I always wonder this too... Every time. I See a chopper fly by I cringe... I wonder can they detect a one thousand watter vented out the window?...

Think about how warm your laptop or PC computer gets. A 1000w lamp will definitely show up but it's not a certainty that what they are looking at is a grow op.

The DR90 is very visible to FlIR. A heat shield or IR film will help if you cover your reflector and tent ceiling with them. Peace of mind, even from imaginary paranoia, is worth the $20 for some.

S

SooperSmurph

Those IR sweeps are looking for extremely abnormal patterns, hotspots in a line, or in a grid, single light operations aren't going to get flagged in that case.

If you're really concerned, cover the ceiling in your tent room with a light / heat insultation sandwich, reflective on either side, with a layer of black plastic or insulating foam in the middle.