What's new

gdtrfb's mixed up clusterf*ck

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing I like when going through threads around here is seeing folks with well thought out precise plans, exacting techniques, and clean layouts - and offer it all up in a thread that makes you think 'Wow, I gotta try that'

This isn't going to be one of those threads ;)

The floorspace is roughly 6x10, and until recently was ran with 2 staggered harvests, with most plants occupying 3g pots of pro-mix. the setup was essentially on auto-pilot until 2 things happened

1) I plopped a plant in a 5 gallon dwc bucket and not only did it fail to spontaneously combust, it did well enough that it made what I was doing with dirt look silly.

2) Spidermites pissed on my parade.

I noticed the evil bastards as one harvest had just been cleared from the room, and another was at 6 weeks - way too late to even contemplate what wonderful poisons I could introduce myself to on that batch. That left me with at least 3 weeks to get through that batch of flowering before I could shut the room down and demitify.

I also had a batch of large-ish plants in an aero setup vegging - they were due to be cut to make the next round, but with the inevitable shutdown figured in, they really had no purpose.

After finding myself standing next to those well vegged plants with a pair of scissors in my hand, preparing to introduce them to a trashbag, it occurred to me that the stack of net pot bucket lids I picked up for an as-yet-unplanned rdwc setup and these plants may be a match made in heaven.

The fact I have a room shutdown on the horizon, and that I want to try my hand at dwc on a larger scale than my first test inclined me towards just plowing thru one more grow before the shutdown.

In the best traditions of 'It Made Sense At The Time', I got 8 buckets, some uniseals, and hosed that shit up to a 27g res. Plunked a Mag9.5 into it, made a Home DePot PVC aisle manifold and ran drip rings to the buckets. The Whitewater LT-11 linear air pump came with a 6 output manifold - being either cheap, lazy, or both I opted to just put a splitter on two of the lines so it can feed 8 buckets.

picture.php

Clear braided hose was all I could find to use for the drain/return lines, so getting baked and playing Arts & Crafts with hose and aluminum tape will have to do for this run

picture.php

The 'subjects' getting their lanky on and their roots situated in a ghetto rdwc veg I tossed together. They got two floramite dousings and chilled out in this setup for a little over a week (I know, clear hose, bad ju-ju. I had it on hand, it only needed to run for a week, and I'll be fucked if I was going to consider Arts & Crafts again)

After getting their roots happily wound thru the hydroton, they got moved into the flowering room - 8 buckets, 1 400w per 4 buckets.

Two weeks later, with most of their stretch out of their system - and the other half of the room chopped down and cleared out...the fun begins. I turned the rows of buckets 90 degrees so they occupy the whole room, bowed the buckets out in a slightly more circular fashion, re hung the 400w's over each end...and hung a bare bulb 600w in the middle.

picture.php

16 days of 12/12, 14 of which were spent w/ horizontal lighting

picture.php

The next day, after a bit of time spent fiddling with the plants to get them half assed adjusted to both the 400w's above and the 600 beside them

picture.php

Floor can fan/carbon filter ran to some ducting to keep things around the bulb from going all Easy Bake Oven on me. I also tossed in two plants in dirt in the middle - they were crosses I'd made that were unlucky enough to have landed on mitefest during their growth cycle. It was either chop them, or run them in this clusterfuck - curiosity won out.

picture.php

7 days in this setup, 22 days 12/12
I think I could probably use this image to give those who defoliate nightmares. Or wet dreams, whichever works.

Again - I know this is a clusterfuck, but to be honest, I think it's why I'm enjoying this grow. I've never ran bare bulb, vert, indoor trees on this scope, and I have exactly 1 successful dwc grow under my belt - basically, I have no clue what the shit I'm doing, but it's fun. I've already decided that I'm essentially 'eating' this run (it's one thing for me to say 'that was sprayed with floramite, but it was weeks and weeks ago, it's fine to smoke' - I can make that call. Once it's out of my hands, tho - I have zero expectation that people that receive it will receive that information, too. I'm not saying anybody else is doing something wrong, I'm just saying I'm doing what feels right by me) so that adds another level of interest to the grow. Literally, nothing is on the line w/ this batch. I wouldn't be a happy person to walk into the room and see a wilted mass of death, but it wouldn't financially shit in my cereal bowl, either. I'm already planning on clearing $0.00 from it, so the 'step back, see what the hell happens' approach seems fitting.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
On to the ladies - just to keep the 'toss shit together, see what happens' vibe going, there are 4 different strains floating around in that mass of greeness

All are from cuts that have been ran before, so at least i have some idea of what to expect from them. They aren't completely what makes up a 'normal' run in terms of bulk for me, tho, so at least that much comports to the clusterfuck theme.

picture.php

1 & 4: Nirvana NL, same mother plant
This one was the best of the batch - out of 10 seeds, i got 7 females....and 6 distinct phenos. 3 of which didn't even remotely resemble NL. Not sure what to make of that - the plants weren't shit, they just weren't very NLish.
example buds of this cut from previous runs
picture.php

2: Mandala Hashberry. I doubt you'll see much of this girl - she couldn't keep up with others (she has almost no stretch) and is the round's runt. It's kind of a bonus as it makes it easier to get to stuff in the center, but it's just not made for this kind of set up. At all.
I have no pictures of this cut from previous runs either, so I guess we can pretend it just doesn't exist.

3: Nirvana AK48. I haven't ran this one much, and definitely haven't ran it large. Previous runs lead me to expect smallish but plentiful buds, a taste of black jelly beans, and a nice (if short) head and body stone.

5 & 6: Original Haze (Seedsman). This girl is the wonderplant. I ran a pack of Seedsman Ohaze, and got exactly what one would expect - lanky 16-20 week stringy-bud (not knocking it, just don't know any other way to describe it) that doesn't show you more than a preflower for 6 weeks and are finicky about feeding...but this little freak wasn't at all what I expected. She finishes in 10 weeks, grows cotton ball buds, kept up with indica and hybrid's feeding with no complaints. As to the taste and buzz...about the best way I can do it justice is to say that every single nugglet this plant has produced throughout almost 2 years of running her has been headstash. Mine. mineminemineMINE. I haven't done extensive breeding with her or anything, but another thing I've noticed in my pollen chuckery...she makes everything she touches awesome. Males from the runs that produced the AK/NL's above were used to pollinate cuts of this Ohaze - the results were actually better than the sum of it's parts. I know that's what's stated in the description for Ohaze, I just found it remarkable that it is actually true. That's right, an amazing claim in a seed description was actually accurate. I know, right? Who would have thunk it.
example bud from previous runs, Ohaze
picture.php

(this is at just under 9 weeks, for some reason I have no pics just pre-chop for this one.)

7 & 8: Nirvana AK, different mother plant from number 3
I have ran a couple batches of this plant, and been fairly frustrated by her every time. She's got some things going for her but weight isn't one of them - the growth pattern is much the same as the #3 plant. Many, many, many, many buds, but no appreciable size to them. The taste is rather 'meh' - it has a vague kushiness about it, but other than that is unremarkable. Aside from the lack of donkey dicks, it has great bag appeal tho, and a more durable buzz than the #3 plant. I doubt either AK has a role beyond this grow, but who knows. Maybe what they need to thrive is a jumbled together grow with way too much veg, probably way too little light, and somebody figuring out hydro torturing them.
picture.php

example bud from previous run of this plant

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used a light timer on the pump that feeds the drip rings - it comes on for 15 minutes every 6 hours. I've got the sneaking suspicion I could set it to come on way more frequently or way less frequently and it wouldn't make a difference, tho. One of those things that's probably worth some research, but just winging it has worked so far.

I'm more boring than Episcopalian orgies when it comes to nutes - Maxigro during veg, 50/50 Maxigro/Maxibloom for the first 10-14 days of flower, Maxibloom after that. I use RO water, so Calmag is tossed in too, but...that's it.

I've got some 'Beasty Bloom' and 'Cha Ching' laying around, and will probably toss them on for a bloom boost. Either that, or pick up some KoolBloom dry.

There's no chiller, and altho the weather is being much nicer to me now - this setup, and the previous dwc test runs i did both saw 80+ degree res temps. The boring nutes and the lack of root rot may have something to do with each other, or I may have just been lucky so far. We'll see, but it's reason enough to keep things simple for now.

picture.php

last night, day 8 of this setup, 23 days 12/12

and finally, a little rootpoon
picture.php

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks folks - this thing could use all the encouragement it can get ;)

picture.php

day 24 of 12/12, moved the 600 a skosh and a half more towards center (all hail the S hook, corrector of bad planning and second only to aluminum tape in it's utility)

picture.php

You can see some of the ladies got too close to the bulb before I had a chance to fiddle with things. This is probably why the smart people use screens and nets and other botanical bondage, eh? ;)

dgr

You're funny. Comedy and a Grow Journal? What more could we ask for.

Keep it going!

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keep it going!

oh hell yes. this is going until it melts or until it meets the fiskars, whichever comes first.

picture.php

a view from under the clusterfuck - you can still see where the plant grew against the neoprene while it was in aero. poor thing's got scoliosis

picture.php

The as yet unseen hashberry runt in the #2 spot- it's at about 2.5 feet, while its cohorts are averaging about 5.5 feet. It just has almost no stretch at all, and got quickly buried by the other girls. I had to pry apart her neighbors to even get this shot. Not much hope of yield w/ this strain in this setup, but every party is better with a midget. It's a rule, I checked.

picture.php

the view from under the haze corner - there's just enough room in that corner to plop down and burn one, and just enough shade to not have phantom bulb images burned into my retina for hours.

She's starting to show some unhappiness, but it was expected to some extent - I've been gradually upping the nutes, and waiting for her to bitch. we got to 1000-1100ppm(.7) before she whined, but there are signs she wants to claw, and a bit of tip burn. I needed to find out what her ceiling was at this stage, so...again, while expected, it means i need to mellow things back a bit. Finding a balance between the hybrids and the haze should be an added bit of fun for this run. There's also some signs of heat stress (some edges curling up) on one of the haze's tops closest to the bulbs , but other than some minute re-arranging - she's just going to have to suck it up. I keep telling her to not be a woosie, eventually she'll listen.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Day 24 of flower for the NL that's in bucket #1 - it's soaking up most of 1 400w by itself. One of the hazes has creeped in to share part of the lumen-juice, but this girl has claimed the majority

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

day 25 of 12/12, day 10 of this setup

picture.php

If you look to the left of the bulb, you can see a haze top that has decided it isn't just inclined towards clawing, it's fully gnarled. I backed off on the ppms last night, but it still has to have its shit-fit, and I'll have to look at that gnarled up claw for months, reminding me that I've placed my princess under duress.

If you happen to have a wireless connection and are reading this from the growroom, Mrs. Hazeplant - DON'T BE A WOOSIE.

she'll listen. eventually.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks man - and welcome. i don't know what the hell is going to happen in the next few weeks, but it should be entertaining.

picture.php

Day 10, pulled back a bit more than i usually do. This required even more dorky contortions to get this...thing....in frame than normal. never let it be said that I won't stand on a bucket and make an ass of myself for you, ICMag. Because I will. It's certainly cheaper than a wide-angle lens, and having any shame is over-rated.

picture.php

day 11 (26 of 12/12), the belly of the beastie

STUPPA

LOL great thread title gdtrfb :biglaugh: ,good luck with the grow dude i'll be tagging along .

BTW is that wally i see up there ? haha

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
BTW is that wally i see up there ? haha

not all mite predators are created equal, eh?

picture.php

Speaking of, I haven't mentioned much about the mites so far - I kinda figured there are enough coming of age tales of a boy and his bugs floating around, there wasn't much I could add to it. I don't want to jinx myself, but I haven't seen bugs, bug shit, or bug eggs for 2 weeks now. They got two rounds of floramite at the tail end of their veg, and a neem bukake session every 4 or 5 days after that, up to about 5 days ago - having not seen any, it's hard to get up the gumption to further stress the girls (there's always the mangle from basted leaves laying on each other) much less think you're even going to come close to getting every one of those leaves ;)

"Having not seen any", I realize isn't worth Jack nor shit - when looking for something the size of a needle's point in 8 buckets worth of haystack, the odds aren't going to be good. There will be no satisfaction until this batch goes out of the room, and the makings for a future SuperFund site moves into it for awhile.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
they haven't woke up yet today, so no new images yet to make you turn your head like a dog being taught algebra and wondering just wtf i'm doing (I do that too. It's cool), but I did do a res change last night.

I'm not entirely sure if I needed to, but apparently changing reses is what those with a res do. They got new juice when they entered 12/12, altho it was a mix of maxigrow and bloom. Addbacks since then have been solely maxibloom. Things are looking like they're about due for a bloom booster if I'm going to use one, so I figured new h2o before plopping insane amounts of p-k in there may not be a bad idea. I haven't seen any new clawing in the haze ladies, but all the same...getting whatever N from the maxigrow remains out of there probably can't hurt. shit was drained and refilled with just maxibloom and calmag, about 800ppm.

It looks like i'm going to go w/ the 'cha ching' and 'beasty blooms' (I swear they name this stuff goofy ass names like this as part of a conspiracy. I'm not sure who is responsible for the conspiracy, but they're assholes) for bloom boost as i haven't picked up any koolbloom yet - that said, I'll be using well well well below what is recommended. I've got a feeling i'll be doing the same thing with the haze again - creep the nutes up until it bitches so I can figure out what it's willing to put up with in a shared nute system.

all i can say at this point is what the plan is - reality may disagree with me, and force new plans at a later date - but from here on, the intention is to let this res ride until the flush, and just do addbacks.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

Day 12, 27 of 12/12

picture.php

picture.php

A few Ohaze budlettes, some signs of being a woosie.

Honestly, I expected the haze ladies to be troopers, and so far...they haven't disappointed. With the exception of being more prone to show leaf heat stress due to closeness to the light than others, and being the first to show signs of a nute ceiling, she's weathered my other abuses like a champ.

One thing I've noticed with this batch I didn't run into with my single bucket tests - I've ran veg ph at 5.7, and the previous flowering tests at the same. Looking at the PH/nutrient uptake graphs, I'd wondered how that low of a PH allowed for mag uptake, as it is commonly labeled as 5.9 and up. Well, apparently some plants aren't as forgiving on that aspect as others. The number 3 bucket (AK cut first listed above) developed a pox of mag def signs, while all of its neighbors showed none (and there is calmag as part of the start of the res, and in at least every other nute addback)

Generally speaking, I despise pissing around with PH up/down more than fat kids like cake - when I nute up my RO water, 5.7 is where it lands - so that has been a bonus. I've taken things up to 5.9 w/ the new res juice, now I just have to wait and see if it holds, drops, raises, or does the watusi.

microgram

I LOVE YOU!!!
This thread is AMAZING! You're the first to really drop the comedy it that much more top-notch. You aren't expecting anything from this (A+), you've managed to set up a freaking awesome grow, and... You're brilliant.

You're an hero!
UG! :joint:

P.S. I FOUND WALDO!!!!

mdk ktm

well this thread sure does make me laugh. I ran a haze plant once, i dont really know why i did. but she was just like yours haha. And i also love your view on rez changes. Its just what people with rez's do. I will be sticking around to watch this clusterfuck. And hopefully you get a good yield too.

gdtrfb

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks folks - I can tell you, the first thing I generally do when walking in the room is laugh, so not taking it too seriously seems a given.

OK, the first thing I do is squint, and then throw a hand up to block the bulbs from raping my retinas, but chuckling follows shortly after.

picture.php

last night - you can see some of the haze leaves in the Easy Bake area of the bulb are giving into their woosieness

picture.php

tonite, shortly before being tucked in

T

Tarus Bulbar

Thanks 4 sharing ur trials!!!
Its a funny read!!!
I wasnt able to spot any predator
Waldo's in the last pic!? Perhaps
they all gathered around the
'Easy Bake' for too long??