What's new

An average how long it takes from sprout to veg?

jjs

Hi all , new to growing and enjoying it , my question is I have germed seeds and it's been 3 weeks and the round leaves I see are turning yellow , so i am taking this as a sign that i am close to giving them nutes for veg stage.

Is this a average time from srpout to veg? Regards jj's :gday:

generalgrievous

collector of lightsabers.. and fine cannabis genet
ICMag Donor
sounds about right....just gave mine their first 1/4 dose at 2 weeks... cotylodons had started turning yellow as well....

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
How many internodes do you have? Meaning, how many "sets" of serrated ("real") leaves do your seedlings have? If you have at least 4 pairs (8 serrated leafs total) you can consider yourself in veg.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea 3 weeks is too long i say i start hitting mine with light nitro after a week/3-4 nodes..hit them with some super thrive to make em green again

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I may be confused.

From sprout to veg? Seems to me that once the seed sprouts it basically starts vegging. Now from sprout to flower, that would be up to the grower. Most growers look for the plant to have 4 nodes. Others wait a bit more until the nodes start alternating before flowering.

I personally flower at three weeks and transplant when I know the plant is female. Once this is done, then I start the flowering nutes. I don't nute before then, ever.

jjs

We have 2 plants on one we can see the third and fourth internode starting and on the second one we can see two.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
The round leaves turning yellow is indeed a sign that is time to start adding nutes. The coyts provide nourishment during the seedling stage, so when that reserve is gone, you need to start providing the nourishment.

You can add sooner without any ill effects though, as Yes4215 said. Just make sure that you use a weak solution so you don't burn them. I personally wait for those coyts to turn.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I may be confused.

From sprout to veg? Seems to me that once the seed sprouts it basically starts vegging. Now from sprout to flower, that would be up to the grower. Most growers look for the plant to have 4 nodes. Others wait a bit more until the nodes start alternating before flowering.

I personally flower at three weeks and transplant when I know the plant is female. Once this is done, then I start the flowering nutes. I don't nute before then, ever.

There's a period between sprout and veg where the plant is known as a seedling and not really mature enough to be considered "in veg." To me it seems like the plant stalls for a bit, and then begins growing leaves rapidly, this is when I consider it to be really in veg. Unless I've grown that strain before and know exactly how it will react, I hold off on nutes and intense light until 3-4 internodes are up.

If you're growing in soil you probably won't need to nute during veg. In coco and hydro, the cotyledons begin yellowing soon after sprouting.