What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

clones are dying..

bkob89

i cut em off my mamas...put em in their rapid rooters using AN's root excelerator...put em under a dome and a 250w mh...and after 3 days some of them are wilting...ive water'd using ph'd water...5.8...i've sprayed em...any suggestions?

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
rapid rooters? those are the little soil pods that blow up correct? ive had trouble rooting in those because the stem seems to hit air with the pods. thats why i just get the 72 seed trays, fill up with promix. then theres no gaps or air pockets for the stem to hit... another suggestion maybe to raise your light. if those are wilting chances are the light is to intense. ive tried cloning under my 600 conversion mh and its just to intense even with the blue light. id say go get some fluro's put em a few inches above the dome and be troublefree.

bkob89

Ah...the air pocket sounds like it...the stems weren't too long...and the rooters are pretty big...shit. Am i only suppose to cut the newest growth on each stem? or even the smaller ones up the stem closer to the main stem?

T

tokinafaty420

rapid rooters? those are the little soil pods that blow up correct? ive had trouble rooting in those because the stem seems to hit air with the pods. thats why i just get the 72 seed trays, fill up with promix. then theres no gaps or air pockets for the stem to hit... another suggestion maybe to raise your light. if those are wilting chances are the light is to intense. ive tried cloning under my 600 conversion mh and its just to intense even with the blue light. id say go get some fluro's put em a few inches above the dome and be troublefree.

No you are thinking of peat pellets. Rapid rooters are compressed compost and actually do quite well with cloning.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
A 23 watt cfl will cover 100 clones easily. I'll guess you've left too much plant material on as well. Keep cuts short with leaves well trimmed and see if you can't go dome free as high humidity can be lethal.

bkob89

sigh...not only did I not fully snug the clones in the rooters...i left way too much plant material as well...

am i only suppose to clip only the ONE shoot on the end of each stem? or am i to clip any of them with atleast 3 nodes...but only on the actual stem...dont cut the stem...correct?

FreezerBoy

Veteran
You can cut from anywhere you want. The more plant material above ground, the more roots that are required to support it... D'OH! We don't have any roots! @#%&! Give a plant light and water and it will try to process them which is more than they can do right now.

Cloning probably gives more grief than any other area. It certainly sees the greatest disparity from identical procedures. What saves me may kill you dead. Example: Many say domes are required, just as many say domes are death incarnate. Who's right? Whoever got roots.

Hang in there. It took me months to get a single survivor. Now, I can't remember the last time I lost a clone. If your method isn't giving you the results you need, try another method/media.

dune

i like cloning in a tub sitting in a tub of water drill holes 1" up the sides. Slide a air hose in to the tub put at bottom of tub that will contain perlite. then add perlite and add water. Cover for 2 days and letting breath a hour a day. then lid off and use a week floro. All other cloning techniques can be applied.

i hit and misses on a few techniques and found this best

reckon

Cloning probably gives more grief than any other area. It certainly sees the greatest disparity from identical procedures. What saves me may kill you dead. Example: Many say domes are required, just as many say domes are death incarnate. Who's right? Whoever got roots.

:yeahthats

I root in straight coco, simple simple simple, just like sticking a cutting in a glass of water basically,...no dome, rarely any wilt (wide leaves wilt for a day), for me it works nearly 100% of the time.

my buddy who I taught the method to, just CANNOT get it to work for him, so we made him a bubbler,...now he gets nearly 100% success,..........my father learned how to root rose cuttings in peat pellets back when the earth was still cooling,...he gets nearly 100% success rates with his cannabis in peat pellets, if I tried the peat pellets, I'm sure I'd kill every one of them.

so I think freezerboy was right on the money, this board lists no less than 7 different and distinct cloning/cuttings methods, and probably a hundred variations within those methods and you just have to try them out till you find which works for you, your setup and strain.

I will post my straight coco method* in here: the new growers forum, step by step, with very detailed information as soon as one of my mums makes enough shoots (probably within a week)

(*I learned the method on this board, but cannot find the original posting)

libby

Freezerboys fav subject, can't grow a cutting under a dome:kiss: but, encouraged me to keep trying different methods, within a few moon, i was at it, i planned on 6 plants, i have 22 in flower and 9, i think, under flouros.

Wish i never learned to clone, get greedy.:thank you:

Cheers freezer.

FreezerBoy

Veteran
Actually, my problem was dome weaning. Weaning killed 60% or more of my successfully rooted clones. To this day I can't get a "proper" bubbler to work (naked stems in plain water) It's killed everything I put in it. Used "improperly" (rockwool, gel, cloning solution) 100% success. If someone's experience is opposite to my own, screw me and my advice; Stick to your guns.

My main point remains; Cloning can be a frustrating experience to newcomers. Hang in, keep trying. There are a million ways to clone in the Naked City. Keep trying different ways till one works for you.

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
:yeahthats

I root in straight coco, simple simple simple, just like sticking a cutting in a glass of water basically,...no dome, rarely any wilt (wide leaves wilt for a day), for me it works nearly 100% of the time.

Straight into coco? Wow, that is definitely keeping it simple! And it works for you? Sounds soooo much easier than the 1 inch cubes way I do things. But i still get 90-100%, although I am usually rooting c99 so we know how fast and easy that routes!

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Your light might be too intense, if the clones don't have any roots they can't handle intense light and will wilt over and die.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
i cut em off my mamas...put em in their rapid rooters using AN's root excelerator...put em under a dome and a 250w mh...and after 3 days some of them are wilting...ive water'd using ph'd water...5.8...i've sprayed em...any suggestions?

Do you mean "Jump Start"??
I ask, because "Root Stimulator" at least how I know it, is not for clones to root...but for stimulating your already rooted plants--
I use Clonex Gel, for rooting clones--

Budsworth

I am a first timer as well. My friend gave me 14 clippings. He clipped them...handed them to me...I submersed the cut end in a large measuring cup of water...cut the cut end again at a 45 degree angle and put a small slit running the length of the stem near the cut about a half inch long under the water in the cup (keep from getting an air embolism where the clipping was cut)...stuck the cut end in a shot glass of Hormex for 1 minute...placed firmly into a rooter plug (just like you). Drove home...put them all in the large humidity dome and placed them in a large, low sided tupperware bin (w/o the top on). Placed them under 2 t5 h.o. bulbs. Every few days, once the rotter plugs would start to dry out, I'd pour water w/ 10-12 drops of Hormex in it into the tupperware bin. Wait a half an hour until the plugs were good and damp again. After watering, I'd take the water I'd just poured into the tupperware bin and fill up a spray bottle. I'd mist with that bottle 3-4 times a day until it was time to water again, then I'd change out the water in the bottle with the new stuff.

On the third day, while moving them to a tray holder with slightly bigger holes (to make inspection easier) I accidentally pulled one out of it's rooter plug (but didn't discover until a couple of days later).

About a four days in, a friend who does freelance work for High Times stopped by to see my new room. Immediately told me to cut all the leaves on my clippings back. I did it right there.

On the 9th day...I saw roots on one of them, transplanted. On the 10th day I saw roots on 9 of them, transplanted. On the 11th day saw roots on the last two, transplanted.

So I killed one a few days in by pulling it out of the rooter plug. Got all the rest to root.

Not bad for my first try :)

On the downside...sonofabitch gave me spider mites :(

Latest posts

Latest posts