What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this too simple?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I don't think negative ion generators are big at all. You can find little ones for not too much money.

Negative ion generators are not made for this application, and will quickly be overwhelmed.

Please don't try this. Please. This is not where you experiment, or try to save money, or try to do it a 'new' way. Smell will get you busted.

Smell will get you busted. Must not smell. Smell = jail. Don't.

And not trying to pick on you Sc, just wanted to take the opportunity to drive the point home.

jpm

dont worry ill use a carbon filter(are carbon filter and carbon scrubber the same thing?)
and will i be able to put 5 plants under a 400w hps in a scrog effectively?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
dont worry ill use a carbon filter(are carbon filter and carbon scrubber the same thing?)
and will i be able to put 5 plants under a 400w hps in a scrog effectively?

Good question :yes:

On this site they may be used interchangably at times, but what we want is a proper carbon scrubber.

Some people see carbon filter and think they can get by with those carbon filter cloth refills from Home de Pot. They can't, which, unfortunately, they realize in mid-flower and have to desperately scramble for a scrubber.

The scrubbers we use are very densely packed. The way the activated carbon works is by being porous, and slightly charged. As the air flows through the carbon, it passes through these micron sized pores, and odor causing molecules, bacteria, spores, everything gets trapped in the carbon.

So the carbon is literally scrubbing the air clean. It's not just treating the odor. It's actually good for ya :D

jm420

Veteran
Dutch passion brainstorm for odor control,absolutely no smell (killed the bag appeal) but gets you high as a fuck

jpm

thanks but i've already decided to go with a c99 cross as i hear it doesnt smell too much, as well as other good things.

can you put 10 plants scrog under a 400w hps effectively?

rambone

thanks but i've already decided to go with a c99 cross as i hear it doesnt smell too much, as well as other good things.

can you put 10 plants scrog under a 400w hps effectively?

given the lighting footprint of a 400w hps you would be better suited doing 2 plants in big container(5g+) and vegging them until they fill your screen

jpm

i cant veg them for too long(electricity bills) and i need to nsort the males from the females as i cant get them feminised.i just dont want to end up scroggin a male.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
As a novice or beginner, you're getting into hardware used by advanced growers, and with the finances reading like loose change, you should concentrate on the basics. Setting up a dark area. Germinating and vegging seed. Sexing the plants, and flowering.

In my opinion everything else can wait. You'll be able to save up some money, and add the goodies you're talking about as you go along. Nothing wrong with the discussion, I'd rather hear about your success rather than disappointment.

All that extra money spent on other than the essential items, could have been spent on picking up a few more strains. I don't see how a scrubber is going to do anything unless most of the tainted air goes through the carbon filter. Four loose panels and a cover isn't ideal for such a tool.

Save your money and stick to the basics for now.

opt1c

Veteran
jpm.... i'd toss 4 in at flower and then when sexed pick the two best females and keep them... also i'd just get a dr60 or dr80 tent to run it in.. if you upgrade/move whatever that money spent won't be useless... for the cost of a roll of poly u have half the cost of the tent right there if not more; specially if ur getting the super thick panda poly.. then u add the wood and everything... i think i tent would just be way easier for your situation.

and if you get out of the game or don't have a need u can always sell the tent on ebay or craigslist etc.

i think 5gal pots would b overkill for a 400 though; 600 no prob but i think u can get away with 3gal no prob with 2 plants and a 400... if u are limited for vertical height this would b more of an issue as 5gal containers usually take up more vertical height thus limiting the height of the canopy

sounds like u have a solid plan and there is a ton of good advice in this thread; consider everything said and go with what u feel and u should b fine

remember they're weeds not delicate little orchids or anything ;)

beejium

don't use the emergency blankets they trap light. lay down and spread one over yourself, you will see right through it. all the emergency blankets i have seen in the sporting good isles are made out of plastic. mylar is the best (not plastic), but it's a pain in the neck to work with at times. many here including myself use flat white instead; cheap and very easy.

facelift

Veteran
Good Call. I tend not to going hiding under blanket or put plastic bags over my head so I was unaware of the issue.

I was unaware of the light leaks. I cover my box with a thick navy blue blanket. It's a solid box, but far from airtight and light proof

facelift

Veteran
By all means play safe. You would be right to take every precaution to keep your grow as safe as you can.

beejium

Good Call. I tend not to going hiding under blanket or put plastic bags over my head so I was unaware of the issue.

I was unaware of the light leaks. I cover my box with a thick navy blue blanket. It's a solid box, but far from airtight and light proof

woke up many times camping with e-blankets round my face i'm still here. ...i think.