What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is this too simple?

jpm

i was planning on doing an indoor grow at some point. i cant really be bothered to build a cab w/fittings etc. and so was wondering if this would work:
scrog 4 plants under a 400W hps
fans
makeshift walls/boards, like office cubicle walls covered with foil or painted white
light leak wouldnt be too much of a problem but if it is then just cover the grow with a blanket.

is this too simple?

Presto_D

If odor is not something you need to control, then your setup could work. Making sure your walls are nice and sturdy and stable would be important.

These guys keep saying big effort = big results. I'm new to growing myself, so I don't know much more than you, but odor will be something I need to keep in serious check where I'm at.

PistilPete

Enjoying the ride
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally, if I had to cover up my grow area, i would use something less flammable than a blanket. Other than that, and the odor issue mentioned above, it could work for ya.

L

LolaGal

I found that using 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of white styrofoam that is 1/2 inch thick make great temporary walls, but remember paint can melt styrofoam!

Using a couple of one inch boards glued to ceiling and floor will make temporary wall studs for the styrofoam walls.

The white styrofoam is perfect for reflecting light, and don't need painting.

vaped

panda plastic is a great light proofing material. you get a hundred foot roll for under 90 bucks. For something smaller they make grow bags out of panda like 50 cents a piece for the 5 gallon bags I think you could piece something together with them.

C

cyberwax

in fact making something sturdy will probably be far easier than to do it your way considering the problems you could run into; even if odor is not a problem.

opt1c

Veteran
build a frame from 2x4s or something; use black/white poly some duct tape and a stapler to make the walls... u can get a stick on zipper to make an entrance... sturdy enough to hold everything and cheap

but if you don't want to build a cab just buy a tent; the small ones are pretty inexpensive and work great with 400s

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Unless you're med legal, there is no such time you do not have to worry about smell. I don't care if you use mylar survival blankets as your walls, but you NEED odor control.

And no, I don't mean Glade Plug-Ins :D

You can do a carbon scrubber for under $50, and you can also do 3-5 for growing. You're going to feel like a giant dumbass if you kiss away ANY of your life in a jail cell over $50.

Sounds like Panda poly is your best bet. You can make a tent with that just with a staple gun, duct tape, and a Tarp Zipper. :yes:

chronicCA77

The best way to get rid of odors is to change their structure at the atomic level. There are a number of different odor killing sprays can work, but that also means you need to spend time spraying, again and again.

That doesn't work for me.

The gel odor killers are better as you just set them around your home and around the grow to help suck up the odors and keep them under control. But if you begin to get used to the odors, you might have troubles noticing when you need to replace the gels.

A negative ion generator is one of the better ways to go. What this does is helps to clean out the air of any number of odors - smoke, pollen, etc. These are pretty easy to find and can plug into any outlet near the grow room, in the grow room, etc.

Or you might want to invest in an ozone generator. This too changes the odors of the room and neutralizes them, but the ozone smell can be a little strange. Plus, you need to make sure the ozone generator is sized big enough for your entire room or for the hallway beside it. These can also cause damage to your plants, so watch the leaves for spots.

(Also, the ozone can burn your lungs, so don't turn the generator up too high.)

And it's not a good idea to have a whole bunch of odor killers since that generally shows that you're up to something.

:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

S

Sirus

Take the time to plan and save..usually you get what you put

into it. The extra time, effort, and money will get you a better

end result. :smokeit:

jpm

can you put 10 plants under a hps efficiently?
and how big is an negetive ion generator? is it noisy? what is noisy in a growroom?

NiteTiger

Veteran
Do not use anything other than a carbon scrubber on your first grow. There is a reason 99% of growers use carbon scrubbers. Out of those that don't, most use Vaporteks, which are a completely different beast.

Do not use any 'gel odor killers around your home' - they're not made to handle the level of odor a grow puts off, and the odor should never be outside your grow.

Negative ion generators are not made for this application, and will quickly be overwhelmed.

Ozone generators of the wrong size can quickly be overwhelmed as well. However, in the process of being overwhelmed, they can actually harm you and your plants.

Get a carbon scrubber, there's a reason it is the industry standard.

NiteTiger

Veteran
don't ever use anything like styro in your grow, everything would be better if it does not burn..

Styrofoam insulation panels are used quite frequently in grows. There are even ones made that have a reflective coating on one side that are perfect for our applications.

It would indeed be better if nothing burned, but that's just not practical, unless you're building your grow out of metal. Wood, poly, it all burns.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
It'll work. However, you need a "cover" 4 walls is fine for veg or 24 hour lighting, but you'll need to block off light coming over the sides of the walls. I agree with Sirus. You don't need to build to code, but you should at least think about building a secure space. I have removable doors on my very ghetto, as in poor cabinet.

You can find a great professional made cabinet at the thrift and 2nd hand stores for cheap. Anything from a book case to a large china cabinet.

Technically you can get was with using a corner of the room and a mylar "space" blanket.

I don't think negative ion generators are big at all. You can find little ones for not too much money.

The trick is that you usually get what you pay for when you buy cheap things. And since you might getting used to the smell of pot, you might not realize the generator isn't working as well as it should be.

I'd look at prices a bit too - sometimes paying more really is the best way to go.

:jump: