What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The last frontier online bonfire

Let's kick this thing off! I figured we should use this thread to kick back, blow smoke and bullshit about all things related to cannabis and this great state. We got a whole subforum to ourselves and it's way too quiet on here! Let's change that.

Any fellow Alaskans on here that enjoy growing and smoking the finest quality cannabis? Got a cut in your garden you wanna brag about and share pictures of? Need help troubleshooting a troubled grow? Anyone wanna chime in on the great debate of dirt vs hydro? Pull up a chair next to the fire and smoke one if ya got one! If ya want chime in with what neck of the woods ya are from!

I'm a hobby grower on the Kenai peninsula with an indoor tent with plants growing in water. Current crop going into bloom is a batch of Brothers Grimm c99. What have y'all got that's your current or favorite to grow?

So has anyone besides myself had their personal grows tested by the labs yet? I just got back another batch of test results and my c99 #3 was the winner of this round! She came in at a respectable 19.38% thc.

M

moose eater

Done a bit of halibut and dip-net fishing down in your 'hood, though more in the Copper River Basin and Prince William Sound out of Valdez.

Been tempted to get a sample or three to the lab, but there's a thousand other life-needs knocking on the door at the moment.... One day, maybe.

In a lottery-winning scenario, I'd love to find out that not only does one of my plants have a stellar THC level, but a respectable CBD profile, too.

I'd seen a sample at a retail shop in the Interior. The plant was listed as 'Aloha.' Sold at Pakalolo Supply Co.

Though I don't typically shop for retail weed, the numbers attracted my attention; I think she was between 7% and 8% on THC, and if I recall correctly, she was about 11%+ on CBD.

Nothing overwhelming in either regard, but the potential for some sort of matching, though with higher numbers on each side, was a distracting thought for a bit.

troutman

Seed Whore
Kenai, Alaska. :)

Man, I wish I could go fishing at the Kenai river.

Do you also grow outdoors that far north?

M

moose eater

Kenai, Alaska. :)

Man, I wish I could go fishing at the Kenai river.

Do you also grow outdoors that far north?

Not sure he's in Kenai, as opposed to the 'Kenai Peninsula,' but the city of Kenai is just over 500 miles south of me, and some folks grow outdoors up here where I am, so I suspect there's folks down that way doing so as well.

It's a more temperate/moderate climate on the Coast than in the Interior.

troutman

Seed Whore
Not sure he's in Kenai, as opposed to the 'Kenai Peninsula,' but the city of Kenai is just over 500 miles south of me, and some folks grow outdoors up here where I am, so I suspect there's folks down that way doing so as well.

It's a more temperate/moderate climate on the Coast than in the Interior.

Are you like in the Brooks Range?

Move South before the polar bears get you.

Ha ha yea I just moved from Kenai to Nikiski. I'm an indoor grower as this allows me to grow year round. I normally spend a large chunk of my summer on the banks of the Kenai killing reds! Halibut fishing out of homer is a a lot of fun as well. I also go hunting whenever I can find time. Duck, spruce hen, and Kodiak black tail are in my freezer at the moment. I'm hoping I get to start moose hunting next year as I finally decided it tastes good as well.

One of my plans for later this year is growing some cbd crew white widow and getting testing done to select a 50/50 thc/cbd cut. The new house came with a small green house that I'll try doing some outdoor aeroponics in. Half of it will be fruits and veggies and the other half will be some indica dominant varieties. I've got some purple kush seeds that should do quite nicely in the greenhouse. Anyhow welcome to the bonfire!

M

moose eater

Are you like in the Brooks Range?

Move South before the polar bears get you.

Nope.

Road-miles from Fairbanks to Soldotna are just over 500. Kenai's a bit more as they're off the Sterling Hwy a few miles.

Nikiski is a bit further off the road than Kenai.

I'm south of Fairbanks toward the village of Nenana. Many use the term 'south' here to reference the Richardson and Alaska Hwys; neither of them departs Alaska to the south, but folks often think that because the roads -take- them to the Lower 48, they're 'south.' Both of those roads, in their out-set, depart Interior Alaska running east by southeast.

People often lose perspective re. the size of Alaska; 2.5 X's the size of Texas.

Los Anchorage to Soldotna = ~150 miles. Los Anchorage to Homer = ~225 miles. Fairbanks to Los Anchorage = ~360 miles.

When I drive to Homer, it's just under 600 miles.

Los Anchorage to Glennallen = ~187 miles, Anc to Valdez = ~305 miles. Fairbanks to Glennallen = ~240 miles. Fairbanks to Valdez = ~355 miles.

And if you check a map, the distance from Fairbanks to the North Slope is similar to the distance to Anchorage; a bit further to the Slope from Fbks than Fbks to Anc..

Then there's accessing the northern tip of S.E. Alaska. ~650-675 miles from Fairbanks to Haines, Alaska, and one of the two most northern stops for the Alaska Marine Hwy Ferry System..

No polar bears until you get up on the Haul Rd. to Prudhoe Bay, where, with climate change, there's been at least a couple spotted inland, even on the highway. Unusual, but it's happened.

Last edited:
M

moose eater

Ha ha yea I just moved from Kenai to Nikiski. I'm an indoor grower as this allows me to grow year round. I normally spend a large chunk of my summer on the banks of the Kenai killing reds! Halibut fishing out of homer is a a lot of fun as well. I also go hunting whenever I can find time. Duck, spruce hen, and Kodiak black tail are in my freezer at the moment. I'm hoping I get to start moose hunting next year as I finally decided it tastes good as well.

One of my plans for later this year is growing some cbd crew white widow and getting testing done to select a 50/50 thc/cbd cut. The new house came with a small green house that I'll try doing some outdoor aeroponics in. Half of it will be fruits and veggies and the other half will be some indica dominant varieties. I've got some purple kush seeds that should do quite nicely in the greenhouse. Anyhow welcome to the bonfire!

Used to occasionally fish 'but off of the trench about 5-7 miles off-shore from Ninilchik, but unless you go out around the horn past Seldovia, toward Mt. St. Augustine, to where there's still some less-molested deeper holes and drop-offs with decent fish left in them, the Cook Inlet side of the Peninsula sports a lot of chickens these days. Even PWS is heading in that direction, thus the newer regs re. charters and size restrictions.

Previously fished Wessel's Reef out in the Gulf a bit, beyond the mouth of Prince William Sound and Hinchinbrook Island, but haven't been out that way in several years now.

Our dip-netting is mostly limited to Chitina these days. Though this last season was shit for returns.

I haven't looked for Sitka blacktail deer since the winter of '78/'79 on Kodiak Island (haven't been back to The Rock since January of 1979), though when it's offered I never turn it down. Fine eating. Better flavor than moose, in my opinion, but too little return for the effort, which is why they used to permit 3-5 of the little buggers.

Moose is akin to wholesale shopping. One animal, 450-500 lbs. of clean meat in wrappers. Good by me. Not as tasty as Dall sheep or blacktail, but plenty of meat for the winter. This is one of three winters in the last 20 that we didn't put a moose in the freezer. Still have plenty of moose Italian sausage and moose chorizo, as well as some other odds and ends, and 40-lbs. (+/-) of good clean scraps for sausage-making, and the 20-lbs. of 60:40 pork trim for that process, but haven't gotten it (or a hundred other chores) done yet this Fall... Lost the weather that would've helped hold set temps for that in the smokers.

Probably going to try and head up the Taylor Hwy this next month with my youngest son, preferably during a low pressure weather system and accompanying warm front, to take part in the 40-mile registration hunt for caribou. Recent report from ADF&G in the paper has the herd at currently over 71,000 animals; an improvement from the 51,000 they'd been at. The herd there is reportedly doing -great-, though this last Fall, they were predominantly clustered in the two zones between the Steese and Taylor Hwys, out toward Anuktuvik Pass, etc.

kushdream

hello fellow Alaskans! what ya growing? anybody got any heirlooms? Got a few Durban poisons going right now. early stages, getting excited. :biggrin:

Closest thing to heirloom in running is some purple kush of mysterious origins. Some seeds from a buddy. Other than that it's been orange glue, hulk smash, c99, and some home made crosses. Here's how one of the orange glues looks:

picture.php

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Hey guys nice thread. I'm not an Alaskan but I do like bonfires. I'm the only grower from North Dakota on the mag here. So I have to travel from thread to thread to visit with fellow growers. Hope you don't mind?
I will be running multiple strains this season in my greenhouse. I'm going to be doing some crosses with Lebanese semi auto this season. I will have a thread in North Dakota part of the forums here. I will germinate May 10th to the 15th. Please come check it out. The fire needs another log. Peace

M

moose eater

I commandeered this thread a while back, last year, so I'll moderate my comments here, and keep them more limited.

Closest thing I have in the dirt right now to an heirloom is my Dronker's Sensi Seed Bank-sourced California Indica; mine's officially over 20 years old now, and looking her age a bit at the moment, though I suspect that's the excess salts still finding a comfortable level from two mixes ago, with the mix in between not having been sufficient to weaken the over-dose from the Sea90.

Word; use Sea90 -sparingly-.

Still needing to get to a place in my head where I can take the time to mix up some B1, aloe vera salve, hormones, etc., and try to hatch some 40+ year old seeds I have from Mexico and Colombia (Colombian Gold and Acapulco Gold), and some 30-some year old seeds I have from Thailand (Red/Orange Thai). Past efforts, a decade ago or more, were failures, but the new and improved methods (courtesy of Mystic Funk and others, in his Vintage Mexican Seeds Thread) may deliver new-found hope. We'll see.. as soon as the other hundred chores are lessened in number, and stress declines.

Welcome aboard farmerlion! I'll take a stroll over to your thread and take a look. I've been thinking about trying a greenhouse run in the new houses greenhouse. Gotta sort out a light deprivation setup first. Are you breeding your own auto line?

Welcome back moose eater! Keep us posted with those seeds you are trying to germinate. I would love to see some old genetics like that brought back! Any idea on the flowering times for those landraces?

M

moose eater

If they are typical, the Mexican and Colombian can be well over 14 weeks from what I've read, but they'll do what ever they do.

As for the Thai, I'd only be pulling numbers out of the air, without doing some research..

We were getting lbs. of the red/orange Thai ~35 years ago (+/-) for ~$2,500.00/lb., and it had a very unique smell, flavor, appearance, etc. to the buds.

I'd love to effectively revitalize-any- of them at this point.

You can likely find Mystic Funk's thread here on ICMag with a quick search. Lots of good info in there, and he's been -very- generous in running other peoples' ideas in trying to find effective methods for hatching decades-old seeds. He's a good guy.

M

moose eater

Hopefully this link will take you to the thread I referenced above:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=334985

If not, please let me know, and I'll edit it out.

Meanwhile, I'm doing some 'hand-to-hand combat' with a recent mass infestation of thrips in a soil tub of left-over mix, to which I'd added rice hulls, a small amount of coco, pumice, a tiny bit of zeolite, etc. There's likely some fungus gnats accompanying them. I HATE ALL of the little bastages!!!!

I'm trying not to resort to my old stock of Azamax, and in a search to replace my long-gone jug of liquid Gnatrol, discovered it's more or less vanished from the face of the planet, as far as liquid form goes. It's seemingly been replaced by a newer product of (allegedly) the same BTi sub-species, but now in a granular form.

Aside from being puzzled as to how they can dehydrate a living organism and still have it be effective upon re-wetting, I'm still in need of picking a 'course of battle.'

The best sources of nematodes I've found are sometimes reasonable on the items themselves (one place uses 7 species/sub-species, and guarantees they're bred on a live host, and delivered healthy if you go for overnight air, which as many know is a major expense up here), uses freight methods that better than double the cost of the item itself.

And of course, as our winters become progressively warmer, these types of pests are becoming more and more common.

If anyone has a tried and true method for taking care of these things without Azamax/Azatrol, or other suspect liquids, or has a line on -proven- nematodes for which the delivery of doesn't require a co-signer or a first-born child in exchange for freight charges, please let me know.

This might be one of those 'Groupon' moments!! ;^>)

I was on the phone the other day, researching options, and one of the flying devils took the opportunity to fly down my throat while I was speaking!!! (*Did they know what I was pursuing????) Talk about a Zen irony moment!!!!

I read a portion of that thread a while back. It's a gold mine of information! I've used spinosaid based spray called captain Jack's dead bugs with good results. Best of luck in getting the little bastards removed!

M

moose eater

Know what the active ingredients are in Capt. Jacks?

A pro plant care fellow I know up here referenced Capt. Jack's for ornamentals, but at this point, I've been very hesitant re. neem-based, Aza-based, etc. And 'GoGnats' has cedar oil as an active ingredient in it; ain't going into my smoke!! ;^>)

Apparently Amazon.com's (primary) source for the Gnatrol in a smaller container (500 gram/16 oz./???) won't ship to Alaska.

The one place I've contacted that probably WILL send the smaller container, only uses a third-party carrier, with 2nd day air, and though they cut me a break on price of both product and shipping, it still come out to the classic 'Alaska pricing.'

I'll probably end up going with that offer, but they're currently also researching specific info on the nematodes they have access to. A part of which is whether B.t.i. and nematodes can get along with each other, for a multi-pronged simultaneous attack, or if I should use them separately, in waves.

Another greenhouse operator here advised very limited (like 1 TBSP/gallon of H2O) ammonia, but without further research, I'm -extremely- hesitant to do that.

I'd do some searches for related info right now, but I have ACS' classic dial-up connection, that with my exceptionally long aerial span of 2-strand wire, literally amounts to a 3-8k dial-up system in functionality.

Snails knitting sweaters on Quaaludes fall asleep watching stuff load at our house. ;^>)

And to make matters worse, I rarely am able to even get a windows update, but I'm getting the remainder of a 70+ mb download from them right now, which will likely tie me up until this evening.. literally.

So, my searches will sit on the side-lines for now, and I'll go back to preparing tonight's dinner.

If anyone has a killer (both literally and figuratively speaking) remedy for these buggers, feel free to lob it in. I'll be here making a classic pizza dough.... and watching time pass.. very slowly... ;^>)

M

moose eater

I guess you already answered the active ingredients question; spinosaid. Apologies.

Here is a pic of the last purple kush I ran. Cut came from a friend. One of his purple kushes got pissed off, her hermied, and seeded out. I was given a cut of the one that didn't hermie. No issues with her. The picture is of the second time I ran her. Grown in hydro, with no issues. After the second run I let her go and didn't clone her. The seeds are a gamble... should be fun! Anyhow my opinion is the purple kush is a dead ringer for pck from the pictures I've found. It's some seriously purple bud.
picture.php