What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Texas inmates paid $2 an hour to move COVID-19 victims' bodies

G

Before President Lincoln it was illegal to make prisoners work

In the early 1970s I spent 8-1/2 months in a minimum security juvenile facility, at what was a mostly-open campus in Warrendale, Pennsylvania.

Years before the place was turned into a minimum security juvenile facility, it had been a 'work camp' (farm) for adult inmates, to grow veggies for the state, etc. (largely institutional food).

Where our baseball diamond was, had been a corn field years prior.

I'm pretty sure there was legislation that ended the use of forced prison labor, thus the difference between "Get to work, BOY, or you'll get a beating!!" versus, "If you want to earn some spending money for the commissary, you can grab some work clothes and gloves."

Of course, there's frequently a chasm between how things are supposed to work, and how they actually work.

rolandomota

It's retarded comments like this about the deaths being from immigrants showing up at the er that later have assholes shooting up Wal Mart especially when the fucking president won't shut the fuck about that same subject... hypocrite president 45 I say let them I don't see any volunteers lining up

G

$7.25 or $7.50, not sure. they ARE slaves...

I believe Alaska's minimum wage just rose to just under or around $11/hour, which is still starvation wages, if you calculate the cost of living these days, and then divide up the net income for a 40-hour-per-week job.

Edit: The minimum wage in Alaska will increase from $10.19 to $10.34, January 1, 2021.

https://labor.alaska.gov/news/2020/news20-32.htm

Again, bearing in mind that this is still a starvation wage for anyone who hopes to make a 'living', while working fewer than 2 or 3 full-time jobs.

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
As far as I know the only prisons that " make" you work are the chain gangs down south.they don't even pay you.up north you can get an industry job in a factory making $150 a month.only a lifer would fuck with dead bodies.im calling bullshit

St. Phatty

Had to look.

El Paso is a special case.

80% Latin community, which has higher exposure to Covid19 related to their possibly lower Vitamin D levels and things like crowded living, perhaps similar to Singapore "guest worker" housing.

Isn't it interesting how a stream can pile up the heavy pieces of sand all in one place ?

and when there is a flow of human beings, you get a very different kind of pile up.

Latest posts

Latest posts