What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

They ain’t jealous til they smell us

thailer

well i can get about three weeks if you take a clone and put it in a SIP but bigger plants will use up the garbage can rez in 7-10 days or so. i don't fill it up anymore and just add ten gallons at a time.

Attachments

• 91A54B79-E578-44B3-941B-3E7029465905.jpg
    91A54B79-E578-44B3-941B-3E7029465905.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 23

antheis

Veteran
That is one thing I like about sips. No wasted water and they can have water for weeks. I did the math on my res and it holds 12-14 gallons. Currently using a gallon a week but I expect that to go up as the plants get bigger.

well, i finally dipped my toe into the seed making pond.

right now i have a seedism diesel and an flt c99 which was hit with dreamtime and flt c99 pollen. i was a little careless with the pollen, so i have a lot more seeds that i anticipated on both plants.

Turns out I still have these seeds.

picture.php

I added some bleach to tap water with a couple drops of dish soap. Not exactly how it was laid out - distilled water and autoclaved - but I'm seeing how good is good enough. Going to clean these seeds and start them in paper towels.

antheis

Veteran
Just found your thread. sub'd :joint:

Sub dibbidy dubbed.

:lurk:

:respect:

dank.Frank

Welcome gentlemen. It's good to have you all along on this journey. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Yesterday I washed and rinsed 30ish seeds from the cross in my last post which were kept in a fridge since being made.

And 30 of the SWT #4 open pollenation I made in 2015. These were not kept in a fridge. This is testing the viability of beans kept in ideal conditions vs. less than ideal conditions.

LouDog420

Looking good

the girls are getting funky early. Very ammoniated and smelling of catpiss. This is more a Casey Jones thing than sour bubble, right?

I think I remember finding some astringent smelling sb phenos too... Hard to tell since the cjsb is a hodgepodge hybrid with cj x sb, sb x cj, cj f2s, and sb f2s set wild in an open pollination. I'd look more for the flop, stretch, and foxtails/airier bud structure to identify cj phenos. sb of course short, stout, thick stemmed, and those jurassic looking leaves when given the root space

Rock on, I'll be around

antheis

Veteran
The smell is fading. It was never a direct scent anyway. Stem rubs and smelling the plants never gave the cat pee smell, but if I buried my face between the plants and gave a good sniff it'd smell like day old piss.
Thick stemmed and giant fan leaves? This girl has both. Branches like she means it. I've been pinching off lower budsites some sucker branches. Gonna take some fan leaves at the start of week 3 which will be Tues.

antheis

Veteran
I've been lax on my picture taking so this is going to be a text update.

on the seeds I washed and germed: the swt#4 never cracked. they just got real dark. They also stained the paper towel a light brown color and started to stink. the problem may be that I had my cleaning solution too strong and this is the bleaching the seeds. the outer coating may be melting off and soaking into the paper towel.

The 8.5yr seeds were similar in that they got dark in color but but that's it. There was no staining of the paper towel or smell. 4 put out tap roots and one is above ground. the majority of the others were dropped and lost, thus calling an end to this test.

The seeds I tested in the jiffy pucks of 8, 6 sprouted. All six lived at least a week in the pucks. Calling these a win and will be my goto to start seeds.

The sip box is filling up nicely. I'll be taking pics tomorrow for day 14. A bit of trouble though with the cjsb - male flowers. I found a slew of them this morning. I picked off at least 8 from 3 plants. They've only been found between 5th and 7th nodes. Waiting to see if they regrow or not before deciding on keeping the cut.

The bed box is just patiently waiting for other seedlings to get bigger before going in. I had cuts of ppd planned to go in, but zero rooted. Can't be good at both popping seeds and taking clones. That's asking too much.

Seedlings I have right now:
4 chocolate Diesel s1
1 c4dd
5 bad dawg freebies.
1 orange oblivion
4 diesel crosses (3germing)

antheis

Veteran
Tuesday (d14) I gave the sip box a good trim.
Before:

After:

The cjsb is throwing some nanners. Mostly lower branches but I did find one on the main stem of one. I'm going to leave the male parts until they're about to open.

It's not the best picture but here's a shot of the male flowers it's putting out.

Last edited:

antheis

Veteran
Here they are today

The ppd side is really starting to chunk up. She really puts out a lot of sun leaves, mostly three fingered. All of the calyxes at the bottom/beginning of the flowers are a deep purple. She's really packing the frost on early. At least earlier than I noticed last run.

Last edited:

antheis

Veteran
Finally the bed box

Two of the gDubbf2 were male so they were culled. This gave room to put in all the rest of the seedlings save the 8yo diesel cross (8yodx) the orange oblivion seedling has died.

Front row are bad dawg (bdg) freebies

Second row are chocolate Diesel s1
Third row (l-r)
A11/f13 x a11, gDubbf2, c4dd, bdg freebi.

The bdg are way too young for transplants, and the CD and c4dd are just barley old enough themselves. Time will tell if this is was a mistake

The Apollo bx has shown sex to be a female.

The picture is shit so you'll just have to trust me.

This will be hit with frozen pollen.

Last edited:

tleaf jr.

Came up off 75w
Veteran
What i learned with seeds is to plant em and leave em alone. Most of the time it's our human nature that kills em lol. Everyone has seen those seeds that we threw out our bedroom window start to grow all on their own lol. I used to run a chem / casey jones cross from ojd that people still talk about to this day.

:lurk:

thailer

does your sip have a drain for run off? how do you add water and know the level?

I've been wondering if the gravity fed reservoir system which doesn't allow for run off is accumulating nutrients, specifically nitrogen in the water reservoir and that maybe the old design i used which was hand watered till run off, allowed for excess to be removed. i suppose it could be me adding excess nitrogen on reammends maybe?

antheis

Veteran
I have 1/2" tubing coming out the front. It is 3ish inches above the bottom of the res. The fill tube is in the back left of the bed.

antheis

Veteran
Day 28

Day 28

I wish I could smell these, but I caught the covid and she took my smell. Luckily that's all I've lost. One bad day of being full on sick then a week of lethargy and swollen sinuses. I'm back to normal and glad I didn't have a more life threatening reaction. My smell and taste are slowly returning right now its just faint whiffs.

On to the grow.

Cjsb is looking so very delicious. packing on frost the flowers are starting to swell. This cut looks like a nice 50/50 pheno of both cj and sb while walking a tightrope of male/female expressions. Very few of the male flowers made have actually made pollen; most open up to reveal pistils or underdeveloped male parts that resemble a birds beak.

The few flowers that made pollen weren't fully developed either and the pollen were in tubes. I sprinkled some pollen on a lower bud a few days ago and thought the pollen was sterile. Today the pistils had browned and the calyxes are swelling, so looks like it is virile.
The ppd is already showing herself to be baseline for my keepers. She is a solid 7 in most categories.

Easy to grow - a lot of branching and budsites that need pruning to combat larf

decent yield - 5 plants all under a foot tall gave 65g of dry flower.

good smell/taste, effect and high - she's floral and spicy. Think nutmeg/cinnamon rather than ghost pepper. She smokes so nice from a joint. Now that she's cured in the jars for a couple weeks she burns so smooth I actually cough less on a joint than I do from vaping. I can't taste but the first 2 or 3 hits coats my mouth with tingling menthol terps and eucalyptus.

and most of all she's pretty so there are guaranteed likes whenever pictures get posted.
She doesn't express purple except very specifically on her calyx. Ground up the flowers are green/purple which blends to an army 'OD green'

On 10 Nov I popped my next run of seeds which are 5 mandala beyond the brain and 15 a11/f13 x a11 f2's (af24).

I had seven seeds of BTB but managed to loose two while washing the seeds. The remaining 5 have all come up.
Plan to keep all of BTB and only females of af24 to make a BTB increase and af24xbtb cross.

Last edited:
G

Any plans to have another crack at swt4 or are they done?
I've had bad germ lately myself. Literally the only things popping are beans from Useless. Next germ round are going into my outdoor seed raise mix of 50/50 dry cow turds and river sand.
I got nematodes, Steinernema feltiae, on the way to do battle with the gnats.
What is the PPD? Pole dancer? She sounds funky and tasty.
Crosses are sounding awesome, BTB etc:dance013:

Ps glad u survived the 'Rona.

antheis

Veteran
I do have some swt#4 that I kept in fridge and just did a germ test in August and had 90 percent germ. I will run some more and see what pops up. I hadn't really planned doing it anytime soon but they are getting old so maybe spring.

Poor germinating rates Are very agrivating. disinfecting the seeds with the bleach solution has helped. I'm settled on using jiffy pucks since they are mostly inert and shouldn't have much microbial life unless inoculated. I still germ the seeds in paper towels and place them in the pucks after they sprout tails.
They get moved over to solo cups by the time they are staring their second set of true leaves.

PPD is Tony's purple Pole dancer. I think it was a freebie early last year, possibly 4/20. It is Buckeye purple x Jimmie rustler (09 animal cookies x GB bx 4/5?)

She's really impressive. I was just admiring her before lights out. I think she needs a screen to showcase some untapped potential.