What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cancel Culture

h.h.

Veteran
Maybe stop worshiping statues. Melt them down and use the resources for something worthwhile.

White Beard

roflmao, we have to take down the statues and put them in a museum. but we also have to take down the statues in the museums......roflmfao, orwell must be shaking with laughter in his grave, he was warning us, instead we are using him as a blue print. insanity needs to be pointed out and countered, or it will be too late.

‘You thought it would stop at statues?’ Darwin exhibits at UK's Natural History Museum may be canceled for being ‘offensive’

https://www.rt.com/uk/500027-darwin-museum-colonialist-offensive/

7 Sep, 2020

So much love here for Russian “news”...tickles my gag reflex

T

Teddybrae

Hello Everyone ... I 've been keeping away from Scorner for the most part because of polarised viewpoints. But this morn looked at Marius' initial post and thought I 'd see what's been writ.

So after looking at a few pages I realise I still don't know what this thread is about.

May I gently and respectfully enquire ... what is "cancel culture"? (Pls don't supply a web link I never look at them.)

And how can Culture EVER be cancelled? Send replies to Ima Puzzuld c/o ICMag.

JKD

Veteran
Teddybrae;
A recent example of Cancel Culture is Joe Rogan hosting Alex Jones on his podcast. This generated a lot of complaints in an attempt to get Spotify to censor or shut down Rogans show. Where this has been successful gives rise to the term “Cancel Culture”. Incidentally Rogan hosts people with views right across the spectrum.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You see it here on ICMag all the time when mods cancel people who hold opposite views. They call it banned.

Sunshineinabag

There's even cancel culture in dog parks dude...what do you expect from a generation of .....time outs..... participation trophies and tide pod challenge winners.....I mean it is what it is but I refuse to enable such lunacy

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
You see it here on ICMag all the time when mods cancel people who hold opposite views. They call it banned.

- we don't care what political views you have here - so long as you are civil and respect the membership - make no ad hominem attacks - and have a sense of humour - you're good -

CosmicGiggle

Veteran

..... ideally it's not the opposite view that gets members banned but rather the delivery of that view.

Things can get heated but if a member indulges in trolling, flaming, personal insults, etc. on a regular basis, they can expect a lil time-out to reflect.

..... don't know why anyone would put themselves in that situation just for the momentary satisfaction of telling your opponent to "go to hell".:confused:

Most bans are short and a member who has a documented grow with pics gets cut more slack than one without.

......... and by the way, you forgot to capitalize the word 'Mod'.;)

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- This looks like CANCEL CULTURE to me - cancelling small businesses in favour of big corporate businesses -

picture.php

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
..... true about the big box stores, but in USA Walmart sells groceries/toilet paper which are classified as essential so they get to stay open!;)

I don't think we even have any small Ma 'n Pa grocery stores left, just can't compete, which is sad!

growlegal

Veteran
I'm not going to apologize for religiously using Amazon Prime during a worldwide pandemic
Brick and mortar is dying

Sunshineinabag

..... true about the big box stores, but in USA Walmart sells groceries/toilet paper which are classified as essential so they get to stay open!;)

I don't think we even have any small Ma 'n Pa grocery stores left, just can't compete, which is sad!

Folks who eat at walmart have my sympathy....they'd fall over eating at my local coop

Latest posts

Latest posts