What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Info on The Real Seed Company?

J-Icky

I really wanted to get some of the garhwali jungli, but the only place I could find them in stock was on their site and they won't send to the states. Hopefully they will go out and find more naturally growing patches and make those available to the banks that will send to the states. Don't get me wrong I love that they have landraces mostly untouched from the original growers, but the chance to work with truly wild, even feral, genetics in this day and age of heavily watered down genetics just sounds amazing.

TerpeneDream

So I put some Malana Cream & Parvatis in water for a few days. Nothing. I figured they were duds. I decided to put them in some soil w/ michorrizal fungi. About a week later they hatched and now they look lovely. Took maybe 2 weeks total. All my other seeds split and shot the taproot within 24-48 hrs, and sprout within a few days direct to 2gal. So, maybe try being patient with the seeds? Try direct to soil, if you're not already..

skoviik

I am aiming at sinai and lebanese...how is the postage with trsc, is it descrete? Did you order anything Koondense?

Koondense

Veteran
Hi skoviik,
I still didn't order seeds from RSC, I had it in plan but other seeds came in first and then many more others.
Still have to get me some proper RSC, I'm thinking of nepalese varieties, not really interested in Sinai or Lebanese, don't know why.
But now reading the descriptions, the Lebanese looks great:)

Are you thinking of outdoor or indoor?

C

Cannabisso

They use the same kind of white envelope as seedboutique/seedbay does. I guess this is the standard envelope in the UK.

Last edited:

niceeven

Just a note of caution:

Some may have had no problems at all with RSC and the first time I ordered from them back in 2012 they where fine but last year I ordered from them and it was a pure nightmare.

Get a load of that: I order and pay online for two strains Lebanese and comanori something- Next day I get an e-mail saying they are sorry but out of Lebanese seeds I can get the Kamaroni twice or wait a month and a half for more Leb seeds to come.

I reply OK i'll wait but hey, if that's the case can I change my mind and get two Lebs instead? no answer
Next day I write again: Did you get my note?
NO answer

A month and a half passes and I write again " did you get my e-mail? where are my seeds?
NO answer

Mid february I write an insult letter
No answer ( I did not expect one)

Mid March I get my seeds The Lebs are atrocious - half baked beans, three nice ones out of eleven Surprise they germinate

the Macaroni seeds are NICE only 3 out of eleven germinate

LEB amounts to not much, certainly not the LEB I got from them in 2012 - the comarini is an abject plant that can't even support itself, I wound up chicken wiring the thing so it stays up.

In the fall I make up a new email address ... surprise!!! they respond ... some smart ass tells me they are aware the Kumaroni has a low germination rate that's why they have stopped given them away as free seeds! ( then yesterday I pop on their web site out of curiosity and here they are, free camaroni seeds)

He adds I may want to pop on the forum and look at the wonderful work others are doing with their plants - oh, and I can get some more for free if I want....

Poor communication - Poor customer service - Poor ethic - Arrogant, and borderline dishonest, that's what I would say about TRSC

I will never grow the ditch weed they claim are land race strains again, never again.

Sorry if that offends some people and good for others if they had a better experience.

PS ( there are other landraces available elsewhere)

audioaddict

I have to say I had a very different experience with RSC.

Have ordered from them a few times, no problems.

Once I ordered their Malana I think it was, they where out of stock and I opted to wait a month or so for them to re-stock.

Gus then goes off radar for the timebeing, as he is known to do when out sourcing new stock, a month or so later I have new seeds with a bunch of freebies as a thankyou for my patience.

All good though.

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Angus do that as second occupation and earn few pounds for doing this!

That's his passion (like many of us i bet) And then you think insult letter might do the trick because you change your mind!

Oh well, sorry in advance for these strong words. To me, you just deserve what you get!

Last edited:

skoviik

thx all for the informative answers...you got me thinkin' niceeven. I guess its always a risk with web orders since you can't personally pay the seller a visit. I've only ordered from one company and had no problems.

I was planning to plant them outdoors

Koondense

Veteran
I think it was not regular practice what happened to niceeven, usually if there are germ issues with a batch they write on the site about it and give more seeds for the same price.

For outdoors you maybe try the Lebanese, I think Nepalese and himalayan varieties can also be good here but tend to start flowering later and finish later but with beter resistence to the elements.
If you're near the coast pay attention to autumn fog and high humidity which comes regular in our country.
Maybe get both Lebanese + Malana and make a cross.

Pease post your progress with RealSeedsCo here, so we can drool a bit:)

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I've also experienced the poor costumer service, lack of feedback and poor germination rates. It's a shame because the genetics are very interesting to be honest but they don't seem to realize that attention to detail is even more important than providing an exclusive product. This happens often too.

Anyway lately some of the strains they offer (Mazar, Lebanese...) are no longer imported but reproduced indoors like Afropips used to do in the past. Lebanese seeds were reproduced in Spain for example.

As they work with several farmers providing local seeds for them, stock and seed quality is always variable. Of course sometimes they have amazing stuff going on, like most Nepalese/Northern indian strains or the Highland Thai and Lao they used to have in the past. An expat living in Thailand used to provide those but he just stopped collaborating with them and they started offering strains from Lao and Isaan areas.

Anyway the owner is starting a new commercial seed company based on hybrids and posted an advert as he's looking for amateur breeders to work with, so I have the impression that things may change a bit.

Peace.

skoviik

I still haven't decided yet but I am leaning towards taking a risk and ordering...If I do and start them be sure that I will post some pics...always nice to exchange info, knowledge etc...(but not girlfriends ;-) )

skoviik

yeah, I hate the automn heavy rains...it helps though if you plant them on a ridge or east facing slope - after every rain the wind comes so they dry faster. Burja is our friend

skoviik

Ok, so I have ordered seeds from trsc. Ordered lebanese and sinai, got everything, no problems. Good service and communication, no problems from my side - thumbs up.

ngakpa

Veteran
I've also experienced the poor costumer service, lack of feedback and poor germination rates. It's a shame because the genetics are very interesting to be honest but they don't seem to realize that attention to detail is even more important than providing an exclusive product. This happens often too.

Anyway lately some of the strains they offer (Mazar, Lebanese...) are no longer imported but reproduced indoors like Afropips used to do in the past. Lebanese seeds were reproduced in Spain for example.

As they work with several farmers providing local seeds for them, stock and seed quality is always variable. Of course sometimes they have amazing stuff going on, like most Nepalese/Northern indian strains or the Highland Thai and Lao they used to have in the past. An expat living in Thailand used to provide those but he just stopped collaborating with them and they started offering strains from Lao and Isaan areas.

Anyway the owner is starting a new commercial seed company based on hybrids and posted an advert as he's looking for amateur breeders to work with, so I have the impression that things may change a bit.

Peace.

I do this as a hobby mate - I make so little from it that I don't even reach the UK tax threshold.

Whatever money I make from a new website will be ploughed back into collecting trips.

As for 'things changing a bit' - I've just been to Pakistan collecting seeds. From Chitral.

Anyone else fancy making a trip?

The comments about low germination are disingenuous. Since you are apparently so well informed about my activities I am sure you are well aware that I replace seeds for people who claim they don't germinate. Emphasis on claim.

I notice people claim low germination rates for the Manipuri - I tested these and the Ukhrul myself and each and every seed popped fast and healthy. You can expect the same for the Kumaoni which are from Nov 2015.

thejact55

If I can add my experience. I have popped exactly 32 RSC seeds. Sinai, Malana and Nanda Devi. Sinai has popped 10 put of 12 and 8 out of 12 made it past seedling stage. Malana is 6 out of 8 germination. With 5 making it past seedling stage. Nanda devi is 12 out of 12 with all making it past seedling stage, though 2 were minorly deformed. Seems on par given the nature of the product. I have seen alot of statements of germination issues over many sites. Can't say I've had this issue in the least.

corky1968

Veteran
Anyone else fancy making a trip?
Pay for my Passport, Round Trip Tickets, Accommodations and all my snacks and I'm joining you on a quest. :tiphat:

I've never had problems with RSC.

That Red Lebanese pic looks familiar too. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts