What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedling HELP needed please!

GrnEyes

I have 5 Holy Grail seedlings that popped and sprouted out of 6. The last one never even popped. I have two that are a month old (are doing great and are now in 1 gallon pots) and 3 that are 2.5weeks old and struggling....if you can help I would appreciate it!

They have been getting water....but I accidentally watered them with the early veg nutes I am using on my rooted coco clones yesterday. They have been looking lighter between the veins with dark green veins for about 4 days...my man is freaking out and wants it fixed asap. A couple older seedlings were doing the same sort of lightening leaves with dark veins as well but those seem to be improving on their own and new growth is fine. Any advice would be amazing!

Attachments

• 20170619_164624.jpg
    20170619_164624.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20170619_164739.jpg
    20170619_164739.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170619_164815.jpg
    20170619_164815.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 11

Soundy

I'm guessing your soil base mixture should be taking in around a ph of 7? & your coco solution you poured in was ph'd to 5.8-6? Just flush em with some fresh ph'd water, observe for a while & reintroduce your feeding at 1/4 to 1/2 strength.

But, wait for more advice also, that's my guess, not your solution!

troutman

Seed Whore
First thing I'll recommend is for you to transplant them ASAP.:tiphat:

Go lightly on the feeding. You don't want to fry them.

Over time just slowly increase the feedings.

GrnEyes

They are in Tupur coco right now. It has kind of a lot of perilite in it (comes pre mixed). I will transplant them today. My other rooted clones and seedlings seem to be doing well but these 3.....not so much. THANK YOU for the fast responses! Any additional info/ advice is welcome. This is my first time working with seedlings!

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I have 5 Holy Grail seedlings that popped and sprouted out of 6. The last one never even popped. I have two that are a month old (are doing great and are now in 1 gallon pots) and 3 that are 2.5weeks old and struggling....if you can help I would appreciate it!

They have been getting water....but I accidentally watered them with the early veg nutes I am using on my rooted coco clones yesterday. They have been looking lighter between the veins with dark green veins for about 4 days...my man is freaking out and wants it fixed asap. A couple older seedlings were doing the same sort of lightening leaves with dark veins as well but those seem to be improving on their own and new growth is fine. Any advice would be amazing!
1. Ignore all other advice. (Other than Soundy and Troutman.) :)
2. They have poorly developed root systems, which is why they're tall and thin.
3. If they're in soil that has nutrients in them, give them 0.2 EC (0.4 max) of high P/K nutrient solution (Plagron Green Sensation, Atami B'Cuzz flower hardener), then let the soil dry out. This will put a good root system (P) on them and build a strong stem (K). Repeat until they have a large root system, and have a slight nitrogen deficiency. Then proceed to nutrients that are high in Nitrogen and Potassium (which helps in Nitrogen absorption).
4. In coco, mix 0.2 EC of your coco nutrients, and 0.2 EC high P/K flower hardener. When they're larger use 0.4EC of coco nutrients and 0.2 EC of high P/K nutrients.

Putting extra roots on these plants will be great.

Last edited:

GrnEyes

Thank you @Tanzanianmagic. I will worm on this. I always felt like a good plant starts with good roots. Works for my tomatoes....makes sense it would work for this too! I appreciate you guys for helping me!

GrnEyes

Btw...great news...after I transplanted these 3 yesterday the smallest is already perkier and the other two look pretty much the same but given the improvement on the lil one - I'm hoping for good things!

oldbootz

Veteran
pic 1: overwatered
pic 2 & 3: magnesium deficiency

Glad they liked the transplant. If your grow medium stays wet and soggy for long the plants roots cant grow or breathe (drowning!).

GrnEyes

Thanks guys! The seedlings are all doing better...magnesium deficiency seems to be clearing up as the leaves are the normal beautiful green that they should be.

Aspenou812

Veteran
For a mag hungry plant i like it use a foliar @ 300ppm, Epsom salts water.... how do they look

HqFarms

They are in Tupur coco right now. It has kind of a lot of perilite in it (comes pre mixed). I will transplant them today. My other rooted clones and seedlings seem to be doing well but these 3.....not so much. THANK YOU for the fast responses! Any additional info/ advice is welcome. This is my first time working with seedlings!

Why are you transplanting them? I use tupur and when I start from seed I will sex them in solo cups. I do have the ability to do multiple feeds though but don't really feed more than two times during that process. Focus more on wet and dry cycles and make sure you get lots of runoff to wash out the excess salts from letting them dry out. Once you get them drinking every day, your goal is more about keeping the coco moist. You don't want it wet/saturated. A moisture meter is great tool to use until you get the hang of it. Which nutes are you using anyways?

GrnEyes

Update: Good news and bad news.

Update: Good news and bad news.

They all recovered well and grew up a little and turned out to be males. ALL of them- males. That was really disappointing. So much time just to find out the were useless. You would think with the odds in nature I should have got at least 1 female. 😢 but letting the coco dry out a little more when they were still really young seemed to work. I did transplant them and let the bigger pots dry out a little more. Recovery was quick. Thanks for the advice everybody!

GrnEyes

@Hqfarms- I'm using Cocotek expert program right now but I'm switching from rapidstart to Botanicare Rhizoblast instead. I just think it works better.