What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first timer/best way of drying

hippiegrip420

So im coming upto the end of the cycle day 13 into flush, just about to give it 2days of darkness im just wondering what is the best way to dry your plant/trim

bushed

Everyone has a different opinion on this probably because heat and humidity play a big role and this varies from country to country and depending on season.

I find hanging full plant with all the leaves still on until small branches are ready to snap. I hang in a cupboard with carbon filter blowing next to but not directly at plants. This keeps the air moving in the cupboard.

Its really important to check progress daily to make sure plants are drying and of course looking out for the dreaded mold. Dont underestimate mold if this is your first grow.

During the more humid months I would have a dehumidifier running in the room.

This method slows down the drying process and creates the best smell and taste

RockinRobot

I use a large cardboard wardrobe box. I have 6 coat hangers taped to the bar. Each hangar can hold 3-5 branches. The fold down flap makes easy access. I drill holes around the top to let air in and a small 6" desk fan blowing air out of a hole in the bottom. This brings air in through the upper holes. The cardboard helps absorb the moisture.

Old Toker

I use a large cardboard wardrobe box. I have 6 coat hangers taped to the bar. Each hangar can hold 3-5 branches. The fold down flap makes easy access. I drill holes around the top to let air in and a small 6" desk fan blowing air out of a hole in the bottom. This brings air in through the upper holes. The cardboard helps absorb the moisture.
I know this post is over a month old...BUT....I was thinking of also using a large wardrobe box in a similar stye as RockinRobot. The problem that his method doesn't seem to resolve is smell. I'd appreciate any opinions on the following idea:

Setup similar to RRs....except instead of a fan....I'd run one of my tent intake vent hoses into one side (low) of the box....straight through the box and out the other side. Inside the box..make a few slash holes in the top of the vent hose (dryer hose) so that sucks some of the air from in the box... (hopefully) creating negative pressure. Put a few holes in the sides of the box to relieve some of the negative pressure and to get some air flow.

The wardrobe box would be in my garage....which is my "lung" room. I can easily keep the temps in the lung room below 70f.

The problem is humidity. I will have plants finishing (late flower) in the tent...and I want the humidity entering it to be under 60%rh. That requires the dehumidifier in the lung room to be set at about 50%....which is about 10% dryer than what I would like to dry my plants. Also how much would sucking some moist air from the drying box increase the Rh% in the flowering tent? Enough to even matter? I could raise the Rh% in the garage to 60% and allow 70%+ humid air into my flowering room....probably not a good idea in the SE.
Any opinions, suggestions, or ideas?:tiphat:

B

bigganjabud

If you dry in your grow area if it's not being used you can control it better I find

I tend to put the temp low on the controller and put the segmental on 45on and 15off just ambient room temps seem to do me well

During the hot months I tend to go half hour increments and adjust every day or two

RockinRobot

I know this post is over a month old...BUT....I was thinking of also using a large wardrobe box in a similar stye as RockinRobot. The problem that his method doesn't seem to resolve is smell. I'd appreciate any opinions on the following idea:

Setup similar to RRs....except instead of a fan....I'd run one of my tent intake vent hoses into one side (low) of the box....straight through the box and out the other side. Inside the box..make a few slash holes in the top of the vent hose (dryer hose) so that sucks some of the air from in the box... (hopefully) creating negative pressure. Put a few holes in the sides of the box to relieve some of the negative pressure and to get some air flow.

The wardrobe box would be in my garage....which is my "lung" room. I can easily keep the temps in the lung room below 70f.

The problem is humidity. I will have plants finishing (late flower) in the tent...and I want the humidity entering it to be under 60%rh. That requires the dehumidifier in the lung room to be set at about 50%....which is about 10% dryer than what I would like to dry my plants. Also how much would sucking some moist air from the drying box increase the Rh% in the flowering tent? Enough to even matter? I could raise the Rh% in the garage to 60% and allow 70%+ humid air into my flowering room....probably not a good idea in the SE.
Any opinions, suggestions, or ideas?:tiphat:

I actually use a lung room as well already had changed mine to do this. The 90° goes into the grow room and uses the negative pressure of the grow box to pull air through the wardrobe box. This is only 1 of 4 6" intakes so not all of the intake passes through the box. My lung room controls temp and is cooler and lower humidity than the grow room.

Can't really help with the lower humidity but 50% should be great for drying. Just put a damper on the line from the drying box to the grow then you can even adjust the air flow to compensate for the lower rh.

Picture below.
picture.php

Last edited:

St. Phatty

The best processing I've ever had was hang dry in the grow room,
then after about 3 days, cut into smaller pieces and dry in pizza boxes
on top of a stove with a pilot light.

The bud in the bottom box would get a little dose of warmth from the
stove-top.

Every 6 hours or so, the bottom box would make it to the top.

After 3 days in the pizza boxes, the sampling would start. :woohoo:

Old Toker

Thank you sir! Unfortunately you are about 10 days too late with your suggestion.:)
I cut square corner Uz close to the bottom of the boxes for low air flow and just sat the boxes in my lung room. Between those cuts at the bottom, the holes for the hand holds....and occasionally opening the top....I was able to get enough air flow. Surprisingly (to me) there wasn't any smell outside of the garage. Evidently the intakes on the tent were able to remove the smell from the garage without any ducting....although I was ready to do something similar to what you use if I had ANY smell issue. Thanks again! :tiphat:

RockinRobot

Thank you sir! Unfortunately you are about 10 days too late with your suggestion.:)
I cut square corner Uz close to the bottom of the boxes for low air flow and just sat the boxes in my lung room. Between those cuts at the bottom, the holes for the hand holds....and occasionally opening the top....I was able to get enough air flow. Surprisingly (to me) there wasn't any smell outside of the garage. Evidently the intakes on the tent were able to remove the smell from the garage without any ducting....although I was ready to do something similar to what you use if I had ANY smell issue. Thanks again! :tiphat:

I had the same experience before I added the 90. Box just sat in the lung room and the intake still cleared the smell. By adding the 90 I was able to do away with the fan I was using for circulation and it also blocked light entering that air inlet.

Latest posts

Latest posts