What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gavitas, Og's and rockwool

paper thorn

Veteran
Really good thread HGO. I'm liking the diy tables with, is that linoleum you're using to line them?
I've become a cloning master since switching to rockwool cubes, that and this grow makes me want to try a run in big cubes like you have going. Great work.

Last edited:
thanks thirdeye

paper thorn,thank you. Yes, the tables have 5 mil plastic glued to 1/2 plywood, then covered in linoleum. It works, you just have to go over the table during clean out and check you didnt poke any holes in it and seal with silicone, which sucks. so I think i would go with corrugated plastic roofing next time. It's a little more expensive, but no holes ever get accidentally poked in it. Funny enough, i don't clone in rockwool, i use Root Riots. Growing in Grodans is pretty easy, flush em, drain em, and constantly check your run off. good luck!

ClownKiller

Nice setup HighGrade!
I used to veg and flower in hugos all the way through, but switched to delta's to pack more in my veg. Originally I thought I'd stack on slabs at flower flip, but tried the hugo stack instead after seeing yours.
Any tips or comments on the stacking process and getting them to root together quickest?
How long do you wait to water again after stacking them? I had expected 3-5 days like I had with slab, but the delta dried out and I had to water the following day.

Also on defoliation, what signs of stress do you usually notice if you take a little too many fan leaves?

Thanks for this thread man, your grow inspired some much needed tweaks to my setup, and there's not a lot of rockwool role models on icmag

i do like root excel in veg, no other tricks for getting them to getting them to root together. and when i stack, i water a very very small amount on the top cube only every day for a week. and recently i did away with stacking all together and now have been going straight into hugo's, I'm actually liking it a whole lot better. For defoliation, the only time I've noticed i slightly negative effect is in week one if you take them down too much, growth slows a little for a few days. other than that, no real signs of stress. I'll try and get some more pics up this week.

ClownKiller

The first run I stacked the vegged delta's on the hugos when they went in to the flower room. I rookie'd it and fed to early/too much thinking they were thirsty, but I guess they were too wet because by 3rd week some tops looked like the first pic. They went a full week with no additional water, never looked thirsty, but more and more started to claw.
On a different run I picked up your note about only watering the deltas and also waited a day or two longer until I knew it was thirst then gave them just enough to stay up. I thought it was good because the hugos were light by the second week, but maybe not light enough because a top clawed. I'm not sure how much less water I could give them.

Would you say it's an overwater issue? Rereading the thread I noticed you pre-soak at 4 and I did the regular 5.5, maybe ph?

How are the clone straight to hugos working for ya? This is while still in veg right? I felt like they grew a little faster when I switched from Hugo to delta, especially if you push the limits on how far along you can grow out the clone cube. There's something about pulling cuttings off of clones while I transplant that's strangely satisfying lol

Attachments

• 20160622_134859.jpg
    20160622_134859.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160622_134344.jpg
    20160622_134344.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 10

BadRabbit

Really good thread HGO. I'm liking the diy tables with, is that linoleum you're using to line them?
I've become a cloning master since switching to rockwool cubes, that and this grow makes me want to try a run in big cubes like you have going. Great work.

you can also just buy the loose RW, or the little croutons, and run them in small containers .... works beautifully, great results. Cubes are OK, but you pay more and are limited to the size of the cube as cut.

ganjourno

Yes, the tables have 5 mil plastic glued to 1/2 plywood, then covered in linoleum. It works, you just have to go over the table during clean out and check you didnt poke any holes in it and seal with silicone, which sucks. so I think i would go with corrugated plastic roofing next time. It's a little more expensive, but no holes ever get accidentally poked in it.

Hi HGO, one of the best quality and yield outputs I've seen, great work! For your pinhole issue, I suggest using shower pan liner or even better, pond liner. It's a really tough rubber that you'll have a hard time poking holes in by accident - it's designed to form the basin of large ponds so is very hard to tear; tough stuff: https://www.pondliner.com/5-x-20-firestone-45-mil-epdm-pond-liner

A couple of quick questions:
Temp, Humidity, and CO2 levels for flowering?
Night temps?
How hot do you run your nutrients?
To confirm your defoliation technique, you strip all fans at day 7 of 12/12 and then again at day 28?

Thanks and awesome work!

Thank you ganjourno, and great sugestion. However I think hove tables will be my next choice. Now to answer your questions,

Temp 81 to 85f with no more than a ten degree drop at night, preferably 5 degree drop to none.
Humidity, now this is the tricky one. Preferably, I try to stick close to a standard VPD chart, however some rooms have plants in week 5, and ones in week one. So I keep 45 % day and night in those.

Nutes, so starting at 1100 ppm (ec x 700) up to 1850 . I want to see the leaf tips burn just a very tiny bit.

And defoliating slightly varied, but yes a good rule of thumb is within the first seven days of 12/12 and day 21 to 28. If everything is charging, first day they go in and day 21 they are stripped completely.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Just got done reading the thread. Its a very nice room youve got there and very similar to my setup just on a larger scale. I run pbp and 4x4s but in an ebb and flow w 20 -30 per 3x3 1k. Im definately going to give defoliating a try though as my last tray of cookies got a little over crowded...

Thank you sturgeongeneral, if you are defoliating cookies I strongly recommend packing them in up to 18 per light and doing the first stripping at 14 days and again at 21 days. Cookies , in my humble experience LOVES to be overpacked and stripped early. A little more so than og's and much more so than sativa dominant hybrids .

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Ok cool. Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a shot on the glue tray im running now. Its only 22 days in so its a prrfect candidate to defoliate.

First thing how can the plants photosynthesize and therefore produce energy for growth if they have no leaves?

I defoliate, but at about week 5 or 6, and not to that extent.

Secondly I see there is a large distance from the bottom buds to the top buds; wouldn't the lower buds just be popcorn?

Interesting way to grow though.

KulaKush

Why only 2 lbs per light with gavitas?

Why only 2 lbs per light with gavitas?

Thanks everyone.

So the total number of strains on deck usually runs at about 25. Everything is in clone form. The cuts of OG we have range from sfv, larry, master P, skywalker to a few others. some of the cuts of og are very old.

Jones, yes we have tried not stripping and stripping at different times. because we pack our canopy so heavily we really see a difference in flower site development and overall yield when they receive direct light. Also,the stripping aids in air movement and pm prevention.

Basement, Yes, clones. 9 to 12 plants per light. and height wise usually we try and put them in the bloom room at anywhere from a foot tall to 3 foot, finish at 2 to 5ft. The room never stops being on a 12/12 cycle with no down time. So if they are smaller, we pack more in to properly fill the canopy.

meison, never have checked yeild per plant. Though we usually hang around 2 per light.

Your setup looks very similar to my old school hood setup. I do OG 6-9 per Gavita light. But why are you only doing 2 p's per 1000 watt Gavita lights? You should be between 2.5 - 3 a light. I don't recommend this setup for a Gavita grow. 4x4 area per light. If you would use tables on rollers for example placing 6 gavitas over a 9.6 ft by 16 ft canopy you would still receive 700-800 which is good enough to pull 2.5-3 a light. You may maximize grams per square meter by doing 1000 watts over 4x4 but to increas grams per watt spread lights more and put your tables on rollers to take advantage of cross lighting. That's how you get 3 a light assuming that you are using a closed environment with co2. I'm from sfv valley. Don't lose the potent is grams per watt you can be achieving.