What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cloning with Root Nubs or How to Root Hard to Clone Plants

*Lola*

If you have a Mom that is hard to root, or you are just having a hard time cloning, try this.

A week before you cut clones, paint the stems with cloning gel! In 7-10 days the stem you painted will develop root nubs all over the stem.

Now cut the clone from the Mother and root in your favorite manner.

This method gives clones a head start! The root nubs that developed on the stems will develop into roots quickly, in about 2 days after planting.

This is great for hard to clone plants and is helpful to beginners who are having trouble cloning as well. Good Luck!

OK, I had a request or two for pics, so here ya'll go!

Here is how i slop on the cloning gel

[/url]
picture.php

And here is a pic of the prize you are after! Root Nubs, the little white spots there on the branch!
[/url]
picture.php
[/url]

*Lola*

OK YOU have a mother plant that is hard to clone.

Take her and paint her branches with rooting gel.

Do this where you will be cutting clones eventually.

Paint the gel on the stem of the plant BEFORE you cut it off!

Leave it alone!

in 7-10 days the stem of the branch that you painted will develop little root nubs on the outside of the stem/branch.

This is what you have been waiting for. Now it is time to cut your clone.

Cut it and paint it again with rooting gel and stick in rooting medium.

Rooting Gel when applied to a live branch will affect the hormones in the branch causing it to develop little white bumps all over the outisde of the stem. These are your future roots.

Once these root bumps are put in a moist environment, BAM they develop into roots in 1-2 days, and thus you have a clone that only takes the usual 7 days to root and it is not gonna wilt.

dustin27

Veteran
this is fuckin brilliant.

In a different post Lola mentioned to use ky jelly and rooting powder to make gel

i wanted to add that because its ingenious.

Ill give this a try next time i take clones.

thanks lola

*Lola*

you may have to add a couple drops of water to the mix, but usually one oz of ky jelly (water soluble) to one tablespoon of rooting powder works fine. Mix well. apply with paint brush :D

*Lola*

those little medicine cups make great mixing bowls. The little plastic ones. Steal some next time you visit the hospital or something. Ya know the little plastic clear one oz medicine measuring cups they give u at the hospital with your pills in there? those are great and FREE too hahahahahahah. Just ask a friendly nurse for a dozen.

this is a great idea. I would love to see some pics of it though too!

This reminds me of air layering. someone could even go as far as to wrap some coco or peat moss around a branch too, (possibly without hormone), to also get roots before cutting.

slowandeasy

Veteran
OK YOU have a mother plant that is hard to clone.

Take her and paint her branches with rooting gel.

Do this where you will be cutting clones eventually.

Paint the gel on the stem of the plant BEFORE you cut it off!

Leave it alone!

in 7-10 days the stem of the branch that you painted will develop little root nubs on the outside of the stem/branch.

This is what you have been waiting for. Now it is time to cut your clone.

Cut it and paint it again with rooting gel and stick in rooting medium.

Rooting Gel when applied to a live branch will affect the hormones in the branch causing it to develop little white bumps all over the outisde of the stem. These are your future roots.

Once these root bumps are put in a moist environment, BAM they develop into roots in 1-2 days, and thus you have a clone that only takes the usual 7 days to root and it is not gonna wilt.

Does this effect the plant at all? I usually get roots in Coco in 6-7 days in Coco. But one plant is unpredictable, sometimes it roots fast...sometimes it takes longer. I like experimenting, so I might give this a try in the future. Have you tried this method on different parts of the plant? Thanks!!

slowandeasy

Veteran
sure I have, it works fine.

doesn't afffect plant negatively at all.

Really cool idea! I will try this out soon and let you know how it works for me. Do you have a cloning gel of choice? I use Root Tech with great results. I like the idea of seeing the root nubs before planting, then you know how much of the stem is covered with bumps. I clone in Clear Cups with a cover cup, because I like to see the roots develop. If the branch is covered in bumps, it should explode in Coco. Thank you

BTW I take it you are plucking the nodes off that will be in medium before you put the Gel on?

Herborizer

Veteran
Does this effect the plant at all? I usually get roots in Coco in 6-7 days in Coco. But one plant is unpredictable, sometimes it roots fast...sometimes it takes longer. I like experimenting, so I might give this a try in the future. Have you tried this method on different parts of the plant? Thanks!!

I look forward to seeing how this compares. Let us know!

slowandeasy

Veteran
it should EXPLODE when u plant it :D you are welcome. good luck.

Sorry I edited my last post and you answered it already! I take it you remove the nodes that will be in the medium, then paint with gel? Do you paint extra, incase of stretch? The plant is going to grow a lot in 7 days in my set up.

*Lola*

Let me see if I can answer all the Q's :D

dang i'm stoneded haha

OK I just slop on the gel wherever I think I may want roots. I go right over leaf nodes, I don't care. just slop that gel on there good, make sure it goes all around the stem, not just on one side.

I did a batch last nite. I gelled up side shoots that were only 1/2 inch tall. They will be fine later, they will keep growing.

I slop on extra, cuz really, if u don't cut it later, it wont really make a big diffference to the momma.

Look at the base of an established plant and you will see the white bumps near the base where roots want to grow :D That is what we are after. I call em root nubs, I think the correct botanical term is adventitious root sites, but it has been a long time since botany class.

I paint extra, leave the leaf nodes, you can cut off what u want when u go to clone.

This is helpful when u are planning clones ahead of time, slop on the gel and go to town.

As far as recommending a rooting gel, i make my own out of the K-Y jelly and rooting powder mixed with water few drops.

I think any rooting powder is as good as the next :D

Good Luck Cloning them hard to clone devils :D

slowandeasy

Veteran
Hey Lola,
Just for the heck of it I went ahead and tried this on a few branches. I used my Root Tech gel on a few and had some Green Lightning Rooting Powder and mixed it with some KY jelly...put that on a few. One thing I noticed is that my homemade gel was thicker. I added a little water, but it still seems thicker. Today is Tuesday, so I will give it 7 days and see how things look.

*Lola*

good luck :D I did some last nite too. Today it has dried to a sparkly powder on there... it ain't going no where :D