What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Brick Weed - How it's made

boroboro

Thanks Moldy. Surprised to see that the farmers get only $2 / kilo. That's a big markup, even at just a few hundred dollars a pound retail. Given the farmer's alternatives, though, maybe it's not a bad deal for them....

B

buddymate

Anaerobic decomposition is the cause of the ammonia smell,packing/bricking weed when its still got decent moisture content.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Brick weed ranges in quality quite a bit. I remember some Indonesian stuff we were getting in NYC around the mid 80's that was sort of carefully bricked, if that's possible. It was almost as good as the sensi from california, and priced accordingly.

Around that time I knew some folks who were 'walking' pressed Jamaican back. That involved pressing the bud into a shoe shape and inserting it into the bottom of a sneaker. I saw a picture of the little cave in Jamaica that they used to wedge a carjack between the ceiling and floor to get the pressure. They'd 'hire' college students and pay their passage in exchange for the walk. Pretty smart. I don't think they were ever caught, they just quit when it started to get hot.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Moldy, how does this stuff smoke? i assume it at least works or how has a market developed? Ta.
It tastes pretty disgusting and is very narcotic, very sleepy high that does not last long.
I got a really bad sinus and throat infection last time I was down there and indulged in that crap at a club one night. Gawd, I smoked ajoint that had like 30 grams of that crap in it. The problem is, as mentioned, it's black and sticky like gum and the seeds are all cracked into millions of pieces due to the extreme pressure they use to press the wet ass bud. When you look at cross-sections of the shit, it looks like a dark black Nestle Crunch bar, with all the seeds and shit, so inevitably you smoke seed fragments too. It's terrible, worst brick I've ever seen.

Moldy, perhaps the title should have mentioned the country.
Whatever, I don't care, I just don't like it when people come into threads and start posting about people not having common sense etc, when they have no clue what they're talking about. Brick weed is mostly made like this, except some places like Mexico, they dry and cure the bud before pressing. The article also states (sorry I didn't translate the entire thing) that some farmers in Paraguay do dry it for a few days before pressing. 15 -20 years ago we used to get really nice green bricks from Paraguay, but for some reason, it seems that the market got dominated by the newer shitty way of slash and press with no dry or cure....ergh

DSC00595.jpg

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Brick weed ranges in quality quite a bit. I remember some Indonesian stuff we were getting in NYC around the mid 80's that was sort of carefully bricked, if that's possible. It was almost as good as the sensi from california, and priced accordingly.
Funny you mention that. There was an Indonesian ship that was packed to the hilt with that bud en route to the USA, via the coast of South America, and was being tracked by the DEA in the mid eighties. The crew were alerted that it would be boarded the next day and they began to desperately unload the cargo (stored in 1 gallon milk cans) into the sea. The following weeks were like Christmas to stoners. Tons of cans washed onto shore and floated all through Rio and made many people happy and became an instant legend. The bud was exquisite as you mention, and had Indonesian newspapers lining the cans...
A friend of mine found one and to this day he has a nickname associated with the cans heheh. Too bad we can't get that herb here anymore...

Here's the article on it, has pictures of the cans etc..the ship was called Solana Star

Fntunamar1.jpg

Este navio foi construído originalmente como pesqueiro em Formosa, com o nome de Foo Lang III, anos depois passou por reformas na Austrália sendo rebatizado Geraldtown Endeavour.
Em 1986 foi novamente renomeado, desta vez como Solana Star de bandeira Panamenha servindo a empresa Compal Investimentos S.A.,
Em setembro de 1987 o Solano Star passava pelo litoral do Brasil, seguindo da Asia para os USA.

Em 14 de setembro, os tripulantes do Solano Star, foram avisados que a Policia Federal e a Marinha do Brasil já sabiam da carga de maconha que estava a bordo. As autoridades brasileiras, tinham sido avisadas pelo Drug Enforcement Administration DEA.
The ship was a made in Taiwan, reformed in Australia, and when it was intercepted on route to the USA from Asia, it was flying a Panamanian flag and was working for some "company" called Compal Investments. They were boarded by the Federal Police near the coast and the cans had already been thrown overboard.

Para evitar o flagrante, os tripulantes do Solana Star despejaram cerca de 20.000 latas com 1,5 quilos de maconha, nas costas do Rio de Janeiro e São Paulo. Deste total, a polícia só conseguiu recuperar cerca de 2500 latas. Com isso, o verão carioca ficou caracterizado como "Verão da Lata" em alusão a "ótima" qualidade da maconha desses recipientes, segundo os usuários.
There were 20,000 cans with 1.5 kilos per can thrown overboard when they found out that the DEA were on their trail. The summer of 1988 became known as the Summer of the Can. lol

Fntunamarlata.jpg

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Thanks for posting this interesting article MoldyDreads :yes: I cannot speak spain, or read, but those pics make me want suck all the information I can out of that article!! In fact, I give you K+ co´s I think this is the kind of thread we should see more, lot´s of information about indigenous(wrong word maybe) harvesting techniques, thats something that we all IMHO should take a more look and I know that many cool peeps in this site would love to read it in English also!! I have done some experiments with these indigenous/traditional harvest methods in my small cab in the past and must say they really WORK!! I have done it "Culumbian" styloo girdling the plant cpl days before harvest and let the plant die/dry into the container under hps light before pullin it! IMHE, this technique has advantages, seems the dried plant is smokable right after it was pulled dry and was good tasting + them extra, new gland heads :yummy: It should be noted: That before these experiments, I have flushed my plants one 10 days using molasses + about week with plain water, so all the prework for quality buds had been made in these cases, but they still had some of that extra their siblings didnt have :2cents:

Hope you dont find me clueless Moldy, co´s I cannot speak/read Spanish and have never been in S.A, that´s why I am asking following:

Would some kind, fellow IC:er who speaks & reads Spanish translate this article for all of us to read & see??? I at least would be VERY grateful + it would be nice add on amazing amount of wisdom of our beloved erb!!! So please do it someone!

Btw Moldy.. Have you ever heard of growers/workers peeing into pile´s of herb before it is bricked in South American countries?? Anyways, thanks once again for starting this thread and sharing all thos pics!!!

brick weed is weed that has been compressed with trash compactors for easy shipment. by the time it reaches the states im sure its months old and thats why it dont smell as good. gets u fucked up tho... ever keep a bag of sour d for over a year? then take it out an smell it... im talking like a qt oz. when u take it out, it will smell like mids. brick weed is just old compressed weed. any weed sits around long enough it will smell like mids

Dont know how your guys "mids" smell, but I still have + 2 years old Neville´s Haze curing and it smells better & better the older it gets + the effects are way more superior, than just after 2-4 month cure :2cents:

That smell has to do with bud not being completely dry before you air seal it :chin:

http://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=7468&pictureid=130647 This is an intresting thread.

I've lived in South Texas all my life and smoked Mexico's best(and worst at times) for 10+ years.

Nothing is added to the buds. Thats it. Maybe Coca-Cola. The new Jorge's guide being advertised on hightimes goes into this a little bit. Not much though. Intersting read you might check it out.

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416078335&pss=1 starts on page 26 and 27

And wouldn't you know how coincidental this day is cause i have an example. I just got it today.

Smells like ammonia, but not bricked. Its fluffy with fan leaves intact. Had some white crap on it. Penicllin? Its the stuff in the middle of the 'bud circle.' Its only on that one piece so far. I haven't examined it closely yet.

I hadn't seen such a stubstance in years. Was probably still wet when they packaged them. Buds weren't dried properly. Not to seedy though. And the seeds it does have should be viable. I'll save a few. Anyways i won't complain about what i have currently cause what i had before was pathetic. I'm almost ashamed to admit, uut i got burned like none before. Half the bag was small immature seeds. Half. Not a bad stone, but i didn't want that again to say the least.

Really at $25 a 1/2 oz., i can't say anything. Some fool up north might pay 3-4 times what i did and get the same bud, if not more than likely its worse. In Texas we keep the best and move the rest. Theres so much out there you know. Closer to the border 'elbows' go for $100. A little further north and its 300-400. Those pesky checkpoints are the difference makers. If i could i would go down between the border and the checkpoints just to pick up a years supply for cheap:joint:.

whiterabbit9

Veteran
at 25$ a half oz...
You couldn't transform the shit into hash/oil/bubblehash ?

or just cook it into foods?

the contaminants seem scary, I remember that thread
"What have you found, in yours schwag ?"

I don't think anyone is allowed to whine or criticize the weed

simply dont buy it...

or produce better stock yourself

I actually admire the farmers, sure a lot must be outta greed or need, some are real criminals

still they are producing a lot of weed
I respect that

it must not be an easy job, for them and the smugglers
so much risk

money talks

looks like mold my friend, I would get rid of that freak bud!
I'm not scared of it.
I'll smoke it, eventually, at some point.

One time i had a sack someone said smelled like mothballs, also looked midewy or maybe mold. It was bright green and got me really stoned!

hmmmm, now that i think about it, this weed and that weed from like 5 years ago both weren't bricked but fluffy-ish. Small detail, but could be something to it. But what i got now is different for sure. Ha, I'd rather have the mothball weed than this to be honest. I'll never forget that weed, it was beast.

at 25$ a half oz...
You couldn't transform the shit into hash/oil/bubblehash ?

or just cook it into foods?

Not sure on hash, I've never seen in person, real hash. I would think it needs crystals? Most weed from south isn't really crystally at all, if so its really small. Now sticky yes. This what i have is sticky and you have to pull it apart pretty hard. I'll need my grinder for sure.

I'm sure you could cook it, I just don't know how much brick is needed for cooking?

2 bong rips usally sets me straight for 1 hour, maybe 2. Then its time for 2 more.

I smoke majority through a bong, sometimes a roll a doobie. And i have a cool cheap vape i got on ebay for 50 bucks, with a 4 stage grinder. Sweet deal IMO. http://cgi.ebay.com/Tower-Wood-Vapo...in_0?hash=item3ca44820ae&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14 ( model has changed some what and the price is higher) Oh and i take a VaporGenie to work. Oh yes to work. I'm a devoted pothead.

G

Greyskull

mold
yummy
$25 per 1/2 oz... get what you pay for... or don't haha

mold
yummy
$25 per 1/2 oz... get what you pay for... or don't haha
It happens, thats why its called a black market. Hell some of that home grown isn't all good buddy.

Its a common misconception that cheap weed must be bad. It just happens coincidentally i got burned and shared the story.

Laugh all you want, i got stoned for >$2 a gram. I can get stoned all day long (and i do) for about $7 dollars per day. LOL

I feel like those late night infomercials with the hungry kids, who look sick.

"......you can sponsor your own pothead, for <$7 per day......"

Sick hungry kids is no laughing matter, just the fact it sounds like lame TV commercials is.

This is the 1st thread i ever read on IC MAG. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=1209877#post1209877

It will give you a knew found respect for commercial bud. I agree with most of what i read in it.

Also theres a nicely written piece on Mexican weed in the original thread. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36181&page=1

Last edited:
G

Greyskull

i am not dogging you.
and in fact, i agree a lot of homegrown isnt all that....
too many guys have their noses so far up their own asses they think they are pulling out 'the shizzle' when in reality all they have done is pulled out some weak sauce. usually its the guys who 'know everything'.

anyhow, enjoy your harsh cheap commercial marijuana experience. hopefully the mold wont give you emphazema.

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Ok, great friend & breeder promised to try to transfer it for me/us for tomorrow, when I got the translation I will post it in this thread for us non Spanish speakers/readers :wink:

MMAJAY

Just made a batch of decent BHO out of some nasty moldy no way saleable brick. THe shit looked like black runny dogshit, lol. If you could overlook the way it smoked and looked actually the buzz was quite good but i think i need a new lung.:joint: My buddies thought it was fucking great so they got the majority of it. I was just glad they liked it and i could off it.

killa-bud

Veteran
i've almost never had "bad" brick

always taste and smell decent,smooth,and while most of the time they weren't crazy potent,still got me pretty high,for cheap....but you could tell that they were some what cared for,full nugs although flat,but no excess leaf or anything,not many seeds ether....i wonder if it was always the same main supplier