Im back to using Rapid Rooter starter plugs. I had 4 old plugs that had dried out so I soaked them and placed 4 cracked seeds in them, BUT, I was gone most of the day yesterday and neglected to moisten them when I got home. This morning they were completely dried out. Not sure the seeds will survive.
Now, this gave me an idea for all future seed grows, put the RRs into netpots which are then placed in a shallow bubbler with just enough water to keep the RRs moist until the roots exit the cubes.
Fortunately, I had everything on hand to cobble my newest preflight system together. As I only have 4 seeds I am able to get by with one air stone. I tried the small single stone pump first, but was concerned that it didn't pump enough air into the shallow water. Although I am using a 2 stone pump one side is more than sufficient as can be seen in the pictures. The plastic grate is used to raise the bottom of the net pots high enough so tehy don't soak, but stay damp.
So far only 3/6 BBCC x G13 (my seeds) have popped. Everything was the same- and done at the same time.
The pic was taken on 4/26. The other 3 still have not popped
Very frustrating, but 2/3 are doing well, the other just ok,. Probably because yesterday morning I noticed the RR was b one dry. The cause was evap of water in the bubble bath and it was not getting any
The Little Old Lady (LOL) is beginning to take off as more new roots and root hairs continue developing
The 3 babies all have roots exiting the RRs (see pics). The other 3 no bueno
This required me moving the 1" net pots to 3" first putting a layer of marbles in the bottom (see pic) then dropping in the 1" with plant, then side filling both with small stones to anchor the plants and block the light from the roots
I need to put them in the bubbler which means LOL (little old lady) needs to be moved. I was thinking to move her outside, but we're coming up on rainy season with lots of humidity and of course rain.
I made a DIY cloner that I will put her in and keep her inside