Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Infirmary > Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS???

Thread Title Search
Fungus gnats or WINGED ROOT APHIDS??? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2019, 07:44 PM #3721
Buttercup726

Buttercup726 will become famous soon enough
FG or RA thoughts?

Buttercup726 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:28 PM #3722
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
Pointed abdomen=Fungus Gnats

Old 02-25-2019, 06:46 PM #3723
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud of
Pyganic for knock down. Warm water at 105 F will kill what is in the pot. Water soluble neem that is 6%, sprayed at 3% works well too.

Warm water for the success. Rice aphids is the term where you will find lots of information.

Don't over water either.

You will find them around the outside of the pot feeding on the new roots... rarely will you find them in the middle of the pot.

If you are indoors, turn on the lights and run the room at 120 F. for a couple of days. Warning, plastic starts to deform hahahaha....
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:48 PM #3724
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud ofslownickel has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbootz View Post
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
I AGREE

Not sure if this has been posted already or not. Probably the best info out there.
Given that wonderland is handing out lots of root aphids, may not be the best person to listen to... LMAO
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone
slownickel is offline Quote

Old 03-03-2019, 07:00 AM #3725
iTarzan

iTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud ofiTarzan has much to be proud of
I have finally made it to the end of hi thread. What a ride. It took me about 3 weeks to do it. I read about 25-50 pages a sitting. I didn't do it every day though and I puffed a lot when I read.

First... What happened to eclipse? He hasn't posted since July of 2015.

There were a few people posting pictures that had two spotted mites that nobody mentioned. There are some resistant ones being passed around.
Kontos, sm-90, Regalia and Venerate. SM-90's best feature is the way it conditions your soil. If you have soil that doesn't drain well or absorb fluids well sm-90 will correct that after one or two applications. This helps whatever additives you are using soak into your medium. And it smells great. Regalia and Venerate are organic.
iTarzan is offline Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 03:51 AM #3726
kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nice
Well, I just found out some of my plants have the dreaded Root Aphids...and I havent brought in any clones or plants from anyone else's garden in a few years.
Prime suspect is a few non-canna plants we brought home from a local nursery a couple months ago, even though I inspected them carefully on site but had several of them die suddenly. Never doing that again.

Anyway, I've done 3 biological treatments since I've noticed them.

First was a rootball soak in full strength OG Biowar Foliar with Grandevo, since it was all i had on hand while I waited on some botanigard WP in the mail. This really didnt seem to slow them down at all.

Three Days Later I did 5-10 minute root ball soaks in full strength Botanigard WP. This reduced the number of crawlers I saw walking around on the rims of my pots.

Another 3 days later, I did a soil drench with nutrients and full strength botanigard WP and watered until heavy run off.

Its now been two days since my last treatment (and about 7 days since I began treating), but I'm still seeing some of these bastards on some of my plants, though they seem slower.

Does anyone know how long beauveria bassiana takes to infect a root aphid and kill it? I inspected a live RA under microscope last night and could not tell if it was infected by BB.

Last edited by kalopatchkid; 03-20-2019 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: formatting
kalopatchkid is online now Quote

Old 03-20-2019, 10:23 AM #3727
Granger2

Granger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to beholdGranger2 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure about these answers. It does take at least days to kill many of them. Treating more than weekly seems unnecessary to me, as long as your microbes are fresh and have been stored properly.

It's very important that, at least once, the entire root ball gets a good soak. Good luck. -granger

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:49 PM #3728
moses wellfleet

moses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivormoses wellfleet is a survivor
Treating severe infestations with BB every four days works for me!
moses wellfleet is offline Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 11:42 PM #3729
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
The potato slice trick works. 7 days later I found these bastards...
https://smoke.io/imageupload_data/6b...04ddbabb4e6cc9
Animated gif...
Was wondering why growth had slowed so much. Thought the soil was too hot there for a minute but, nope... that wasn't it.

I prefer mites...
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 04-17-2019, 10:12 PM #3730
kalopatchkid

kalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nicekalopatchkid is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granger2 View Post
I'm not sure about these answers. It does take at least days to kill many of them. Treating more than weekly seems unnecessary to me, as long as your microbes are fresh and have been stored properly.

It's very important that, at least once, the entire root ball gets a good soak. Good luck. -granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by moses wellfleet View Post
Treating severe infestations with BB every four days works for me!

Botanigard didnt really put a dent in my RA problem and I wouldnt even consider my situation a severe infestation. I'm using a brand new bag of the stuff too.

I did full strength applications every 3 days and at least once a week, completely submerging the rootballs for a minute in full strength solution. Drowning in water seemed to kill more of them than the Botanigard itself. I did this for several weeks

Finally, I ended up buying a small bottle of Azera (pyrethrin+azadirachtin, OMRI) and did another rootball soak for at least 1 minute each per plant. Havent seen a Root Aphid since and my plants/root health are starting to recover nicely. I'm going to continue doing weekly drenches with the botanigard for maintenance until the bag is used up.
kalopatchkid is online now Quote