What's new

Summer Heat

Harry Lime

Veteran
Ha! Iffy, I love your inventiveness.

I switched to 315 cdms to replace 600 hid for the current grow and temps are fine with four in the room.

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Harry - long time mate, how are you keeping?

I've got air-cooled lights as well mate, vented in from the lung room outside and exhausted straight out of the chimney. I have 2 x 6" Fans in this straight run through the growroom and I seal all the cracks in the light fittings with clear tape but heat is still a massive issue for me. It's coz I grow in a loft mate and it was 91 in there a couple of days ago, before I rigged up the A/c. Trouble with them is, they're noisy and I have a nosey neighbour. He's pissed off for 3 months, so the air-con is thrumming away and now I've got the temps under control, the ladies are fine.

The things I've listed were just a few of the things I had to try, when things had to be a little quiet.....

Take care mate and happy growing,
Iffy - :tiphat:

T

Teddybrae

Oh! I clicked the link and it's about cannabis. Oh never mind ...

Harry Lime

Veteran
Hi Harry - long time mate, how are you keeping?

I've got air-cooled lights as well mate, vented in from the lung room outside and exhausted straight out of the chimney. I have 2 x 6" Fans in this straight run through the growroom and I seal all the cracks in the light fittings with clear tape but heat is still a massive issue for me. It's coz I grow in a loft mate and it was 91 in there a couple of days ago, before I rigged up the A/c. Trouble with them is, they're noisy and I have a nosey neighbour. He's pissed off for 3 months, so the air-con is thrumming away and now I've got the temps under control, the ladies are fine.

The things I've listed were just a few of the things I had to try, when things had to be a little quiet.....

Take care mate and happy growing,
Iffy - :tiphat:

I'm well, Iffy and trust you are too...
Seems like your neighbour's gone away just when you need him to. Make hay while the sun shines.
I chop in a week or so then shut down for a couple of months. It's how I planned this year out and given the temps, I'm glad.

Stay safe, Iffy.

madalasatori

Veteran
My gavitas are running on 600w instead of their usual 750. I don’t mind doing it for a week but if this lasts another week I’m expecting to see a loss in yield.

Might try running them at 750 again but adding another intake instead

Last edited:

Green81

Veteran
My gavitas are running on 600w instead of their usual 750. I don’t mind doing it for a week but if this lasts another week I’m expecting to see a loss in yield.

Might try running them at 750 again but adding another intake instead

My 750's ae doing exactly the same thing usually run them 115% but this round I'm only hitting 85%, no crispy tops but a drop in yield for sure!

Green81

Veteran
I'm not going to bother with air conditioning room temperature is a scary 28c.
Do you think another 6inch outtake fan will help?

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've tried that Green81 and just about everything else. If you're drawing in warm air from outside, I'm not sure how much benefit you'll get from another exhaust fan. I might reconsider on the A/c, as even a cheap one can be made to run more efficiently and really make a difference, just plug that extra 6" fan into the back of it and exhaust that hot air.
I just couldn't be growing now without my fan-assisted A/C unit.
Good luck brother.
Iffy.

Iffy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Transpiration by Nimby

Transpiration by Nimby

Hi Folks,
Just an addendum to battling this summer heat;

I found a great tip on here years ago by a much-respected grower called Nimby. He was on Overgrow back in the day and the dude had a unique perspective on life and growing. One of the things I took from those posts was 'Transpiration'.

If you are struggling with rez temps in this heat and haven't yet or can't get a water cooler, it could be invaluable. All you have to do is attach a small fan to the top of your rez, so that it blows air across the surface. This initiates a reaction known as transpiration and can theoretically reduce the temperature of your rez by up to 8 degrees!
In practice I found it definitely works but found around a 3 to 4 degree drop in temps. Still, that 3-4 degrees could make all the difference in achieving a successful harvest.

NB If you do try this method, make sure you attach the fan securely, as water and electricity don't mix too well and if your wiring isn't too great??

Stay safe and happy growing,
Iffy :tiphat: