What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best led grow light?

Sarcclash

So far I've tried
200w UFO Full Spectrum
100w eq 16w draw 5000k screwins (off the shelf)
45w panel Full Spectrum
100w FS blurple styles

These style bulbs have outperformed all my other leds.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/54W-Full-S...962843&hash=item51df78eb1b:g:iewAAOSwzhVWqz5U

These bulbs have higher lux readings than any other screwin bulb or light panel I've tried. They turn my u/v cards dark purple at 6" and have IR too.
Mine were 21w - I need the smaller size --2" ht smaller that the higher watt versions. 4 of the 54w would be a minimal number for that size tent imo.

I have a 100w integrated chip FS on the way, will try making one of the diy type they show on the instructables.com.

Hardly any u/v from the other types of Full Spectrum bulbs.

yts farmer

Veteran
I've seen some real nice frosty nugs grown under the budmaster Led but they are real exspensive and cost approx £1k for a 4x4 area.

Peace.

B

BluntInDaHouse

Hello to all,
nobody uses LED cob or quantum board?
I made myself a panel with led light bulbs from home

Iffy

Nil Illegitimus Carburundum
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LED Lights

LED Lights

I just took a look at these and they do look excellent bits of kit. Pricey but the build-quality looks really good too.
Be good if you kept this thread posted on how they perform, as despite one or two thinking this thread spam, some of us are looking to switch to LED but are waiting for the best products to emerge among the plethora of Chinese rubbish.

Nice one Jim Stoner, I might have to start saving my pennies!
Regards,
Iffy :tiphat:

madalasatori

Veteran
Every time I see an LED thread you seem to find new posters with low post counts quick to share links and reccomend products. Call me a cynic but I suspect they’re just trying to push their own products.

I’ve been researching LEDs for ages and due to such misinformation am finding it difficult to figure out what’s worth buying.

These look good, from the US:

http://timbergrowlights.com

pipp

Main thing with leds is forget the power they claim its the power draw is the real figure. Aim to get one that draws as close to 600W as poosible. Your looking at £300 of ebay. The MEIZHI 1200W LED light draws between 500 and 600w and costs £298. Another plus is the lights with reflectors around the LED the increase light and stop the bulb burning out as quick. The Mars Pro II Epistar 320 LED Grow Light is the most Powerful Light you get can get at the moment its actual power draw is about 750W. So see the difference it claims 1600w but in reality its 750W. The two lights I've mentioned I use them both they are a lot better than the equivalent 600w HPS plus a fraction of the heat.
To sum up check actual power draw forget the power they claim you want a min power draw of 400w preferable closer to 600W and try and get a light with tiny reflectors around each bulb. Doubt you will get a powerful light for less than 300 quid. The two I mention the first is about £300 the mars pro II is £550 but you get what you pay for.
Seen some lights saying 1200W for a less than £100 but there actual power draw is 100w. So its important to look closely. If it a light dosn't say power draw and its cheap I would say avoid it. The spectrums on most lights are fine.
Been using LED's for years now with excellent results. They come into there own during the hot summer months. Another point of note is some lights dont like being on 24Hrs a day they can overheat. The latest lights as both I have mentioned have switches to turn half of the LED's out this comes in useful during veg when you dont need all that power. Beware although LED lights are a lot cooler if you blitz a small plant with one of these LED's it can fry it. Dont think because there cool small seedling can take all the light. Have them a lot higher during veg. Plus over winter if temperature is a bit cool then add an HPS to increase temp you can mix untill you get desired temp. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chrondiddle O

Veteran
LED is the future, no doubt about it.
I grew with LED for a few years, I was lucky enough to pick up a sponsorship by an LED co and they sent me several panels to test, utilising 1w, 3w and 50w cobs. All performed very well, producing dense terpene rich buds. I only reverted to HID when I lost all my LED panels during a bust and could not afford to replace them.

G

Gr33nSanta

Ive had good luck with both timbergrowlights.com and rapidled.com, diy kits that are so easy to put together, plug and play.

The best LEDs I have used and still own are COBs, so reliable, not one of them have failed so far, my oldest are A51s, probably from 2014 if I had to guess, maybe 2015, still running strong!

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
In the beginning there was light (actually there the WORD, then darkness then light but Im high so wtf this isn't bible class) and I grew under that plasma ball then my first indoors I used compact CFLs and 250s then HPSs then the crazy double ended HPSs then swapped out for CMHs which I still like.

But my journey with LEDs started only a few years back and have been messing with all sorts since. It started with blurple and an Advanced 300p to try the top end of blurple lol with an attempt at 12 band spectrum blurple then got a GN 08 which put the Advanced to shame in many ways so i figured it was inefficient at 300w and sent it back after 3 months, the GN light however is powerful (possibly run to the max to get the extra penetration) and Im still not sure what I think of it also I don't have the spare height but I will use it and wanted to support a Northern start up business for a change. Then I got 60 and 100W COBs from the Spanish company to play with them and then I moved onto QBs and started sticking plants under those bad boys.

Now though i'm more on to custom LED lights (which is really not as hard as it might seem) and specifically solstrips, or solstix I think they are called with the heat sink attached.

Check out Solstrips. www.solstrip.com

I was pointed in the direction by a legit member here of legit dude over at OG forum, a little searching there and you'll find the thread, that is selling them for a very good price. He bought a load in and runs the UK solstrip site, good deals to be had for these.

I just bought 13 X2 strips in various spectrums off him and i'll be going back for more 2.7ks and 5 ks. Anyone wanting more details you can PM me.. Just doing a favour for good decent British forum frequenting growers.

You can never have too many options for lights :D

Happy growing! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts